Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I already know that the IS300 is at its best when you boost it. But till the day that i actually boost my IS which is in 2 years :( (thats my estimated wait hopefully sooner). I cannot be driving my car with the power it has now i mean its retarded that i can get schooled by a 1.8t Jetta (moded up da "A" of course) for 2 years. I hope some of you guys understands how i feel right now lol:pissed: So i wanted some advice from the members that have done it all with their IS, and would like some recommendations on what i could do mean while till i reach my goal of boosting my IS. For now all i want to be is as fast or if even possible faster than a stock civic SI with some n/a mods. All i have right now as performance is a HKS drager II exhaust. All input would be highly appreciated
+ rep :p

·
Registered
355 Posts
get the mazzuri and an intake to start

·
Registered
185 Posts
1. Do suspension first. Sways, struts, coilovers, etc etc.
2. Build up foundation (if you are going for high numbers). Meaning if you are going for 350+whp, get the right transmission ready (w58, r154, v160).
3. With 350+ whp you will need wider tires. So this means aftermarket wheels.
4. Save your money.
5. Save your money.
6. Save your money.

If I was you I wouldn't waste my time with bolt-ons because you will need to replace most of them, if not all of them when you start adding forced induction. Don't forget you will need to crack open the motor if you are going to go with high numbers. My two pennies.

I would also like to add, I do not have a boosted IS, but I have been around plenty of builds for other cars.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always had a set in mind of 400hp when boosting the IS but than again i was thinking 350hp is alot for our cars as it is and it seems more work is needed to be done if you want more than 350hp is that true?

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Mod the driver.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
1. Do suspension first. Sways, struts, coilovers, etc etc.
2. Build up foundation (if you are going for high numbers). Meaning if you are going for 350+whp, get the right transmission ready (w58, r154, v160).
3. With 350+ whp you will need wider tires. So this means aftermarket wheels.
4. Save your money.
5. Save your money.
6. Save your money.

If I was you I wouldn't waste my time with bolt-ons because you will need to replace most of them, if not all of them when you start adding forced induction. Don't forget you will need to crack open the motor if you are going to go with high numbers. My two pennies.

I would also like to add, I do not have a boosted IS, but I have been around plenty of builds for other cars.
agreed. build up the supporting elements: suspension, brakes, and other drivetrain bits. the last thing you want is to have boost on stock suspension and have a bunch of NA mods you need to sell. Power is nothing without control

Reactions: Brian K.

·
Registered
185 Posts
agreed. build up the supporting elements: suspension, brakes, and other drivetrain bits. the last thing you want is to have boost on stock suspension and have a bunch of NA mods you need to sell. Power is nothing without control
Good point on the brakes (+rep back at ya). Going after a big brake kit would be a good idea, but dont forget you have to make sure it will fit you bigger wider wheels. The offset has to be correct, and the backspacing has to be able to fit bigger brakes. This is a long process if you boost correctly. Everything has to be thought out and you have to plan your process one step at a time. Take your time, do A LOT of reasearch and do things right.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point on the brakes (+rep back at ya). Going after a big brake kit would be a good idea, but dont forget you have to make sure it will fit you bigger wider wheels. The offset has to be correct, and the backspacing has to be able to fit bigger brakes. This is a long process if you boost correctly. Everything has to be thought out and you have to plan your process one step at a time. Take your time, do A LOT of reasearch and do things right.
Thanks for the info + rep:bigSmile:

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
I would get something that will add to your boost project. When/if you boost you will need engine management, so why not get it now? Get an Emanage Ultimate now because it is something you will be able to use later. The mazzuri system will be useless once you boost.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Everyone is saying "big brake kit"...but you really don't need them. Go look at the turbo cars on this site, most are running stock brakes or supra brakes in front(not to be confused for a true BBK). .

I'm currently running stock brakes(all around) and make 418RWHP. And have no issue stopping. I'll be upgrading to Supra fronts once I figure out if they will clear with the wheels I'm running, mostly for looks and not so much in the performance aspect.

BBK have been discussed a ton and some(including me) think they are mostly for show. They don't decrease stopping distance. They look "pretty" and that's about it. That's my personal opinion on that matter. NEXT

I'd say get suspension done(coilovers/springs & struts, sway bars, strut bars(have to watch out because not all will clear a turbo down the road) and if you want to go further, lower braces for front and rear.)

A friend of mine has gone NA and is currently going turbo and regretting ever spending the money on NA mods in the first place.

But I'm a turbo guy and that's my opinion. I'm sure a ton of NA guys will tell you differently. But like I'll say again. This is MY opinion.

I'm sure I'll get yelled at about something haha ;)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
cam gear tuned with emanage will get you the most NA. don't buy tubes

Reactions: jesus954

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Yeah, get the cam gear too. That's also something you will be able to use once you boost. The cam gear and Emanage Ultimate are two things that if you get now, you will be able to enjoy them while you are NA. Plus, when you do boost you will subtract them off your list of things you need to buy.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, get the cam gear too. That's also something you will be able to use once you boost. The cam gear and Emanage Ultimate are two things that if you get now, you will be able to enjoy them while you are NA. Plus, when you do boost you will subtract them off your list of things you need to buy.
Interesting, i might do the cam gear and E manage ultimate 1st if it helps me already in N/A around how much would it cost to do this? :suspiciou

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
don't even screw around with e-manage. if you're going the most power when you're boosted just get the AEM unit.

Like everyone said above, if your window is 2 years, you're going to need that 2 years to save around 7-8K for a good build and tune. Don't waste money on N/A mods. Build your suspension and prep the car for the power. and learn to drive the 215hp you have now because its only going to get worse trying to contain 400hp and not wrap your car around a pole.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Everyone is saying "big brake kit"...but you really don't need them. Go look at the turbo cars on this site, most are running stock brakes or supra brakes in front(not to be confused for a true BBK). .

I'm currently running stock brakes(all around) and make 418RWHP. And have no issue stopping. I'll be upgrading to Supra fronts once I figure out if they will clear with the wheels I'm running, mostly for looks and not so much in the performance aspect.

BBK have been discussed a ton and some(including me) think they are mostly for show. They don't decrease stopping distance. They look "pretty" and that's about it. That's my personal opinion on that matter. NEXT

I'd say get suspension done(coilovers/springs & struts, sway bars, strut bars(have to watch out because not all will clear a turbo down the road) and if you want to go further, lower braces for front and rear.)

A friend of mine has gone NA and is currently going turbo and regretting ever spending the money on NA mods in the first place.

But I'm a turbo guy and that's my opinion. I'm sure a ton of NA guys will tell you differently. But like I'll say again. This is MY opinion.

I'm sure I'll get yelled at about something haha ;)
I couldn't agree more. The fact I said big brake kit is probably misleading. I wouldn't make a "big brake kit" a priority. That is just what I would do if I had the money to focus on modding my car. I also think you are correct with these "upgraded" brakes...they are just status upgrades in most cases. A good set of pads, break lines and brake fluid (Motul 6?) does the trick and you will be stopping great. The braking of the stock IS300 was one of the pluses for this car when it came out.

Positively Repped for your input.

·
Registered
797 Posts
don't mean to steal the thread but will the emanage do everything as the SAFC? because i've always thought about getting both but don't wanna buy one thing if the emanage does the same, and i also 2nd the whole suspension prep, i'm currently prepping mine up right now with traction rods, control arms, sways, etc.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
don't mean to steal the thread but will the emanage do everything as the SAFC? because i've always thought about getting both but don't wanna buy one thing if the emanage does the same, and i also 2nd the whole suspension prep, i'm currently prepping mine up right now with traction rods, control arms, sways, etc.
emanage does everything the SAFC does and more. you don't need both.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts