Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a cheap (yet good sounding) set of subs and then an amp to power them...

I currently only have MBQ-QSD 216's with 125x2rms going to them... somthing to match them pretty well would be nice...

I would like to keep it at cheap as possible, even though I realize its not an easy thing to do.

Audiophiles go! :)

-Wes

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Im looking for a cheap (yet good sounding) set of subs and then an amp to power them...

I currently only have MBQ-QSD 216's with 125x2rms going to them... somthing to match them pretty well would be nice...

I would like to keep it at cheap as possible, even though I realize its not an easy thing to do.

Audiophiles go! :)

-Wes
Why 2 10's? Why not a single 12 ported?

And just how cheap are you trying to get out for?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why 2 10's? Why not a single 12 ported?

And just how cheap are you trying to get out for?
Guys selling a box made for the IS with places for 2 10's local... If it falls through I will be going with a nice 12" ported, but for now im looking at this option.

Under 400$ possible? I dunno.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Guys selling a box made for the IS with places for 2 10's... If it falls through I will be going with a nice 12" ported, but for now im looking at this option.

Under 400$ possible? I dunno.
What is the volume of the box? If you were to use this box of his you should pick subs that have airspace requirements that match the box. However, I would suggest picking your sub and then build a box for it.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Not to threadjack...But, why go with a single ported 12" vs two 10"s? I've always liked the "punchiness" of 10"s and felt that 12"s were too "loose". Thx for the input.
I'll admit that I assumed the box he was talking about was a sealed box which might not be the case. If it is, then a single 12" ported will be muuuuuch louder and will probably sound better than the dual sealed 10" setup.

I would go for a single 12" setup for a couple of reasons....

-You only have to buy 1 sub...duh, half the $$
-A 12" ported will most likely take up less space than a dual sealed10 setup.
-You wont need as much power since you are only running 1 sub (cheaper amp)
-The 12 will kick the crap out of the sealed 10's

As for the 12's you heard sounding "loose"...I don't know what to tell you. I have no idea what you were listening to. I don't think that 12's are by any means sloppy sounding. I would put them above 10's for sure just because they don't have to work as hard to create the same effect.

ISpimpin, my suggestion to you would be to buy a 12" and an amp that will run it. Then, build a box for it. I bet it will be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ISpimpin, my suggestion to you would be to buy a 12" and an amp that will run it. Then, build a box for it. I bet it will be cheaper in the long run.
Throw me a nice (under 350?) 12" amp/sub combo if you dont mind. :)

Also... no idea on the box size, all I know is it fits between the wheel wells in the trunk and sticks out about as far as the wheel wells...

This:

-Wes

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
you can spend a little cash and make 1 10" sound like 2 15" :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Please divulge...
first off.. by a little cash i ment more cash then most would want to spend. 2nd, you should keep an update on my audio install i'm working on and ill show ya.. :cool:

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Throw me a nice (under 350?) 12" amp/sub combo if you dont mind. :)
For a sub you could do an Ascendant Audio Assassin 12 for $119 (free shipping)
--SoundSolutionsAudio.com Online Store-- - AA Assassin Series 12"D4
For the amp maybe this alpine amp and run it at 2 ohms for 400RMS. $150+shipping
Alpine MRP-M450 - 400 watts RMS mono subwoofer car amplifier • CEA-2006 compliant • 220W RMS x 1 @ 4 ohms • 400W RMS x 1 @ 2 ohms • STAR Topology • gold-plated screw terminals - , Car Amplifiers, Mono Subwoofer Amps - Sonic Electronix

So about $290 shipped for them both after tax. That still leaves you enough money for the amp wiring kit and materials to build yourself a good box :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Maybe an Image Dynamics IDQ12 and a Pheonix Gold Octane R8.0:1

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
I have a special right now on 2 12" Kenwood KFC-W3011 subs and a Kenwood KAC-9103D amplifier. $325.00 plus shipping or $355.00 plus shipping with a 4 awg amp kit.... The subs feature 1200 watts peak and 600 watts RMS rating. The amplifier is rated at 900watts @ 2 ohms per CEA power ratings. Amp retails at $349.95 and the subs retail at $120.00 each. The amp kit retails at $50.00. So thats $640.00 retail ...... This package offers a great add on to factory systems and can get plenty loud if you want. Its NOT high end, but rather entry level with a great price point. 90% of average consumers love it......

http://my.is/forums/f99/some-car-au...move-amp-subs-bt-kit-navi-348796/#post5178221

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,468 Posts
A single ported 12 would be nice.... it's what I run... but it's not easy to get a ton of output and save space at the same time. You can have two here:

- power handling
- efficiency
- small enclosure

You can't have all three. You can only choose two.

Honestly, in your case, for true audiophile sound, I'd go with a single sealed IDQ-15. In car response to 8Hz, it's transparent... it's a perfect woofer dammit. And you only need a couple hundred watts to power it.

It works IB too....

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have to get 2 10's that will sound good, for that cheap, go with Phoenix Gold RSD10, they will need power though, they are about 85 bucks each, so you'll have about 230 dollars to spend for an amp, there are plenty of amps that are in that price range that will put out needed power about 400-900W to each. go on caraudiodotcomslashforum and read about them, they are great, i have listened to them and i could not believe that those little suckers can sound that good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is one of those you get what you pay for. The comment half way up I disagree on is one 12 louder than 2 10's. Surface area on one 12 vs surface of 2 10's you dont even have to do the math. Matching the RMS on the amp is a big part on the setup, make sure the amp rms is slightly higher than the spkr. I use a single 10 DVC and out slammed my co worker with 2 12" SVC. Then again im using a W6 vs RF P1. And when it comes to trunk space, again the math is obvious between the two. Save a lil bit more monaey and do it right the first time, dont half ass it cause then you will have to buy it all over again cause being dissatisfied with a cheaper setup.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
The comment half way up I disagree on is one 12 louder than 2 10's. Surface area on one 12 vs surface of 2 10's you dont even have to do the math.
I think you missed the point of my post. I wasn't talking about a sealed 12 vs a pair of sealed 10's. I was talking about a ported 12 vs sealed 10's. You are right about the cone area though, I think it works out to 113 vs 154 square inches or something like that. One thing you need to understand is that cone area isn't everything.

When a speaker moves two waves are made; a front wave straight out of the cone when it moves forward, and a back wave made when the cone moves back. It is important to remember that both of these waves are sound. In a sealed box you only hear the front wave because the back wave is lost since it will never escape the box. With a ported box the back wave is able to come out so you hear both the front AND the back wave.....which makes it twice as loud.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts