Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

First off I used wet/dry 600, 1000, then 1500 grit sandpaper and then used Plastix. I did the 1 headlight the same way I did both fog lights, which turned out fantastic, but was not as lucky with the headlight.

The driver headlight had a yellow tint to it and did not match the perfect passenger side light.

It is now worse than before, clarity wise.

Should I sand more with the 1000 or 1500 grit? Am I out of luck? Should I use a rubbing compound?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
gotta use alot of soapy water along with the sandpaper. and you need 2000 grit as well for the headlights and make sure you're sanding in a crisscross pattern not in circles. after you that if you still have cloudy/foggy looking lenses then you have to use an oribital buffer or something similar. hand buffing just doesn't cut.

·
Registered
853 Posts
use higher grit sand paper, and spent a lot of time with the high grit sand paper, also you should try using turtle wax polishing compound and scratch remover before you apply the plastix

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The huge difference is the higher grit sand papers. You need to spend lots of time with the 1500 grit (try to find a 2000 grit). The rule of thumb is to spend 2x as long when you go 2x the grit. So if you're sanding with 400 grit for 10 minutes, you must sand for 800 grit for 20 minutes. The buffing itself doesn't take very long. The easiest way to buff is get a buffing wheel attached to your electric drill.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Ive done more then 100 sets of lights. This is exactly what you do..

600 Grit Wet Sand Going East to West back and forth covering the whole area..

1000 Grit Wet sand up and down in the opposite direction in a cross hatch formation.

1500 Wet Sand in again East to west

2000 Wet Sand going up and down.

Each time you want to swap direction from cross to up and down when you switch to another grit.

Then buff it out with a rag and some plastX.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
Howdy,

First off I used wet/dry 600, 1000, then 1500 grit sandpaper and then used Plastix. I did the 1 headlight the same way I did both fog lights, which turned out fantastic, but was not as lucky with the headlight.

The driver headlight had a yellow tint to it and did not match the perfect passenger side light.

It is now worse than before, clarity wise.

Should I sand more with the 1000 or 1500 grit? Am I out of luck? Should I use a rubbing compound?

Thanks for the help!

judging by your name... is this on a SI or an IS?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your help guys. I am going to give it another go next weekend.

I was just beside myself when the fogs turned out perfect and the headlight was a foggy scratched mess. I had a cruise with about 200 cars from Houston to Galveston yesterday and was not happy I had to roll with this messed up headlight...at least the fogs looked good.

judging by your name... is this on a SI or an IS?
I use to own an SI, but now I own a GGP IS...suppose to read "from SI to IS"
A little miss leading I guess...people prob. think I mean my SI is greater than an IS:lol: ...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there any certain kind of scratch remover and polishing/waxing compund that ya'll would recommend?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
So seriously this is all you need. Ive like i said done many sets of headlights. Ive done enough to earn my half of the rent haha... Like i said cross hatch the sandpaper with the different grits.

600 To get down one layer and through the gunk.
1000 Light preasure.
1500 Light preasure.
2000 Light Preasure.

Then polish. Your going to end up with a hazzy finish after the sanding but as long as the haze is all even over the headlight you continue to polish with a white Tshirt and keep wiping it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts