Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get the squirting noise right when i turn on the car around the passenger dash area. It almost sounds like a water bottle is getting squirted out then it goes back to normal. Theres no problems with the motor though or nor do i have leaks. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Might be some air in the heater system. Check your coolant level and if needed add some and then run the motor awhile with the heater on and then check it again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I actually get this too... Not so much a squirting noise but it sounds like the fluids are starting to move around in the car and maybe filling up some empty areas... Its loudest when its cold.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would like to visit this again for a few reasons.

I have realized that I'm only hearing the sound after a service that was done by the dealership. Today I was doing a break stand and the second I tapped the gas and it regestered any rpm's I could hear this noise. It does sound like it could be coming from behind the dash but after recreating it a few times I really think its the tranny.

I'm pretty certain that the noise is air moving through the system. When I get home I will be contacting the dealership to tell them I have a problem with their change and I need them to do it again.

Now that I think the noise is low tranny fluids I can say that you should really check it out. The noise is really the only thing that gives it away because shifts are usually just fine.

Anyway, I just wanted to bring this back up just in case you never figured it out. Even if its not your tranny you still shouldn't be able to hear the fluids... In the end no matter where its coming from it sounds like it could probably be that something is low and you have air going through the lines.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Credit goes to Seven for posting this:

You'll need 2 jack stands, a jack, and a bottle of Toyota super long life, pre-mixed coolant to get this done (you can get coolant from Toyota cheaper than Lexus. Its the same exact stuff).

When the car is cold (you havent driven the car in 2+ hours), do the following;

Step 1: Jack the car up by the front crossbrace behind the oil pan, till the car is up high enough so that the radiator fill point is the highest thing up.

Step 2: Remove the radiator cap, and top off the radiator (they sell radiator fill funnels at autozone that have a stopper plug in them. They're nice to have). If you have the funnel attachment, remove the plug and fill it so that its 1/4 full.

Step 3: Squeeze the lower, and upper radiator hoses to get any air in those out of them. After you cant get any more bubbles out, re-top off the radiator / refill the funnel to 1/4 level.

Step 4: Start the car and let it run. Keep adding coolant as needed. Once the thermostat opens, it'll start to bubble a lot. This is part of the reason why I said leave the funnel only 1/4 full. As the coolant gets hot, it'll also expand, and start to fill the funnel. If you aren't using the funnel, I let it spill out over the radiator for about a minute / 2 minutes, then cap the system and turn the car off.

Step 5: When it starts to bubble a decent amount, shut the car off, and let it cool off (at this point, I pull the cap off the expansion tank that is just behind the radiator, and make sure its at the full mark). If you are doing it without a funnel, just make sure that the expansion tank is at the halfway mark.

Step 6 (funnel only): when the coolant is bubbling not too much anymore I put the plug in the funnel and remove it, and put the cap back on the radiator.

Step 7: Lower the car and drive it around and see how it is. Now that everything is bled and topped off, you might hear *some* air bubbling (not as bad as before), but now that you have the expansion tank filled, it should start pulling any extra coolant it needs from there. After about a week, when the car is cold, check the expansion tank's level, and fill it to the level mark again if needed.

Enjoy, and post back with any other questions. If you do have questions though, re-read this first before asking.

Reactions: Squareback

·
Registered
140 Posts
I didn't even go through all the trouble of jacking the car up, etc. I just topped off the coolant and the noise was gone. Did that right before Xmas, haven't heard it since.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I didn't even go through all the trouble of jacking the car up, etc. I just topped off the coolant and the noise was gone. Did that right before Xmas, haven't heard it since.
As long as you don't have too much air in the system, you can get away with it.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i don't remember what kind of coolant i put in, can i just pour any kind into the radiator (through the cap, right?)

·
Registered
41 Posts
same problem

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Researched here and online and looked at my radiator and realized I hadnt done a drain/refill since i bought it new, now at 70k miles almost.
Took it to toyota dealer locally and had them do it. $73 w/ everything.
Noise gone.

I was hearing water swishing around very loud. It would only make the noise after the car was off for a while, then I drive away, it would swish if I hit the gas pedal hard. Anyway, hope this helps others with the same noise.

2004 IS 300 stock.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yep, that's just an air pocket in the coolant system. Good advice given already!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts