Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days ago i was on my way to school during a downpour. I reduced my speed down to somewhere in 35-40 zone when i began to hydroplane...I was unable to regain control of the car and after about 50 yards or absolutely no control, i came back to my side of the road and hit the curb goin onto the embankment and my car isnt doin so good. Luckily i wasnt hurt in any way but two guys down at the yard are sayin their gonna call it a loss. TOmorrow were havin it towed to a lexus speciality shop to see if it can be fixed any how. But Today I went down to remove all my aftermarket stuff so i might be sellin some stuff in the near future here. (ill be postin, depending if im thinkin about another IS) So nehow, its been a good time and ive met some kewl people (peterc, ur way tight). But nehow, im prolly not goin to be drivin any time soon and im gueesin ill be in the market for a new car in about a year.. :cry: But maybe by then Lex will have the coupe or 430 out or sumthin real nice and ill rejoin the family. NE how, ill be around, postin. But for future reference, as of now, im lookin at Evos and STis. What do you guys think would be the better buy(those who know). Thanx, and ill be seeyin u guys around. Laterz

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lexusaltezza said:
Sorry to hear about the loss. That sucks. If you want some more power go with the m3 :p
ONe problem....IM 19...Theres an upgraded turbo kit for the evo(Still in the works) that puts it at 450 and its under 4 gs :p :p Say goodbye to M3

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
sorry to hear bro, but im glad you are ok man material things can be replaced but not lives. but for a future car go with lexusaltezza go with a m3 or m5 :p :eek:

-ringo

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
SupaLex said:
lexusaltezza said:
Sorry to hear about the loss. That sucks. If you want some more power go with the m3 :p
ONe problem....IM 19...Theres an upgraded turbo kit for the evo(Still in the works) that puts it at 450 and its under 4 gs :p :p Say goodbye to M3
There may be an upgraded turbo kit coming out for it, but will it be reliable? If you are talking about the evo8, then I think stock it is running close to 20psi if not more. I think that its pushing it already.

·
Registered
831 Posts
:( sorry about your loss bro :( Don't get an M3 BMW's can suck my grapefruits :lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
sorry to hear about your car man. hopefully everything works how you want it to.

as far as the evo vs sti goes, i remember there being quite a few threads on that you might want to check out. i had lways like the wrx/sti but since i've been seeing a few evos around i would def go with evo (based on looks). i havent driven either but i'm sure there both great. going to be a hard decision!

·
Registered
174 Posts
my cousin owns an sti and it is mindblowingly fast going straight. but i would still get the evo over the sti. overall its a more fun car to drive and more easy to control. the only good thing about sti is the ride wont be as hard as the evo. good luck

·
Registered
590 Posts
A situation like that is where the control of a manual tranny would have saved your car.
Once you started skidding you could have eased the clutch in, and while coasting, turned your wheels toward the skidline and got control back, then driven back into your lane. Sounds like you might have panicked a bit. One of my first accidents was on wet grass directly into a tree. Looking back, it would have been easy to recover traction and miss the tree knowing what I know now. Steering away from where you are trying to go is very unnatural and takes practice, but it allows you to get your traction back, then steer out of trouble. Back then, turning my steering wheel in the direction of the tree I was sliding toward didn't sound too smart. Even with an automatic transmission, your accident might have been avoided with a little parking lot skid practice. Also, I've found it easier to induce wheelspin and hydroplaning in wet/snowy conditions at higher rpm. With a manual tranny you can select 4th gear for a situation like doing 35 mph on a rainy day and keep those rpms low where there's less torque. I know, e-shift will allow this, but most people don't use it.
Caution: Take it from an all-wheel-drive sportscar owner that even with a STI or Evo you can hydroplane, the confidence you get from the traction on acceleration makes you feel invincible, then the next thing you know, you're sliding past a stop sign or skidding into a curb. Why do you think there are so many 4x4's in the ditches during the winter? Anyway, good luck, no matter what you end up driving. Glad you're ok.

·
8,803 Posts
man, my heart really goes out to you. I mean, at 19, and having to settle for an EVO of STI after wrecking your IS :whine: It must suck.....

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
I'm not down on the Evo at all. From what I've heard it's an amazing car. But I would still choose the STi. It has a bigger engine, which means more potential if the mod bug bites.

-Justin

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Justin.b said:
I'm not down on the Evo at all. From what I've heard it's an amazing car. But I would still choose the STi. It has a bigger engine, which means more potential if the mod bug bites.

-Justin
Yes the sti does have a bigger engine but the evo block is made from cast iron when the sti has an aluminum head and block..SO there would be more leeway to allow an evo for greater horse numbers than the sti

1 - 20 of 23 Posts