Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I have a 02 IS300. Im getting this weird sound when start driving.

From a stop when I accerate, its sounds like there are rocks rolling inside my glove compartment? Any Idea what this is????

·
Registered
365 Posts
Umm...can you give us anymore detail...does it only happen when your accelerating?

Have you checked for loose objects in your glove compartment and or around it?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I have the same problem except it is when I brake. I just though it was something lose from when my headunit was installed.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
i did the coolant thing and the noise is still there... i have no idea how to get rid of it :confused:

btw "lonelydriver623" the sound, sounds more like running water correct?

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I have it too. I'm too lazy to fix it, so I just turn the radio up. :lol:

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Do you also have a speed-sensitive whirring sound in any corner? Do you know what a blown wheel bearing sounds like?

Have a friend listen outside. And NO, don't have him hanging off of the car when you nail it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The rocks rolling around sound sounds like what I have in my rear. Try taking off the front right wheel and spinning the hub/rotor.

Do you also have a speed-sensitive whirring sound in any corner? Do you know what a blown wheel bearing sounds like?

Have a friend listen outside. And NO, don't have him hanging off of the car when you nail it.
What do you mean by speed-sensitive? If I have a blown bearing, would the sound increase with speed or decrease?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have the same sound, but usually don't hear it bc I have the stereo up so loud. It does sound like rocks rolling around in plastic somewhere behind the glovebox, and only when accelerating from a stop. I think the road noise drowns it out at higher speeds. I thought maybe the last time I had the passenger air filter replaced, they didn't put it in right. I haven't opened it up yet to see though. If you find out what it is, let us know. I'll do likewise if I ever get motivated enough to track it down.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ive got a similiar sound that sounds like theres rocks or nuts or somthin in the middle of the car like its coming or rolling around n my exhaust pipe or someshit. then agian kinda sounds like a stomach gargling or somthin. ne ideas PLEASE pm me n let me kno. but it does only happen from a stop or park at initial accleration

·
Registered
87 Posts
haha i have that, and another fun noise that sounds like geese behind my AC. i don't know what either of them could be though lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Guys

From a stop when I accerate, its sounds like there are rocks rolling inside my glove compartment? Any Idea what this is????
I had this problem before.
Problem is either your transmission worn out or, the engine mount loosen.

The problem I have was very close to you. It happened only when I accelerated from 1st gear (from slow or stop). But that didn't occur if I accelerate slowly. I take my car to the auto repair and changed the new engine mount then the problem solved.

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Hey Guys

It's the A/C unit behind the glove box. It does it on idle too, correct? If not, different issue then.

lol, I thought I was going crazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have figured this one out!!! its a small servo motor that controls the a/c mode..like if you want it blowing to your face or to your feet, etc..i found out that we have 2 of those servos..i guess one is to close the vents and or open for fresh air and one to control the mode..anyway you need to pull your glove box down by squeezing both ends of it and it will swing down..now you will see those servos on your left side..on mine its the one further in that's making the noise..so i just started poking on it with my finger and it stops making the noise and will eventually will come back..when you hear this sound that means that particular servo is going out soon..you can see the white gear wheel in the middle kinda turn back and forth like its getting glitched..anyway try and see what happens..

note: poke on the white thing that is in the middle of it...the servo motor is black and has this white center thing that you will see move around if the car is on..once you have the glove compartment swung down, shine a flash light on the left side and change the mode of the a/c you will see and hear this thing move...then you will know which one is which that makes the sound...hopefully it helps...hard to explain sorry if its kinda confusing

1 - 17 of 17 Posts