Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 03 IS300 Manual and have noticed that from a dead stop or a very slow roll, when I'm in 1st or 2nd gear and apply very little gas and let out the clutch slow I get this rattle sort of sound somewhere in the front left of my car, I'm thinking something with the transmission.

If I apply a decent or normal amount of gas for the most part I don't hear it.

I've searched and haven't found any post about this and was just curious if any other owners with manuals have experienced this and whether this is normal. Everything else seems fine, shifts smoothly into every gear, no sign of clutch slipping. car has 61k miles.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hear the same thing in my IS250 manual. it only has 50k on it and im thinking about maybe changing the clutch/flywheel.

does anyone know if a new clutch/flywheel set up will cure it as it is very annoying at times especially on an incline taking off slow. if so what do they reccommend?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
If you only have 50k on the car and you are experiencing this, then there must be something wrong with your style of driving to cook up the flywheel and clutch that badly.
I wouldn't be so sure.... the manual in the 2IS is pretty crappy.

I've never heard of anyone with an auto getting their transmission replaced, ever.

I've seen at least 3 guys have to get the manual replaced while still in the warranty period.

Those numbers are even scarier for manual owners when you realize they make up about 3% of all 2IS owners.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you only have 50k on the car and you are experiencing this, then there must be something wrong with your style of driving to cook up the flywheel and clutch that badly.
i just bought it used. this is my first IS and i love the car, however that is very annoying. i have only put about 1k on it myself and noticed it the first week i owned it. i have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain so i think i might look into this being covered. if not then maybe i will look into replacing it myself with an aftermarket. anyone have any reccomendations for a farely in-expensive aftermarket cluctch/flywheel package?

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
i just bought it used. this is my first IS and i love the car, however that is very annoying. i have only put about 1k on it myself and noticed it the first week i owned it. i have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain so i think i might look into this being covered. if not then maybe i will look into replacing it myself with an aftermarket. anyone have any reccomendations for a farely in-expensive aftermarket cluctch/flywheel package?

Fidanza makes a flywheel... it's lighter weight so be aware of the issues that can come with that.

AFAIK that's the only non-Lexus parts available for the transmission at all. Only non-stock clutch I'm aware of is the F-sport (also lexus) one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an auto that is making a "heat shield" type rattle. I just removed the heat shield that is near the rear cat (attached to the car by 3 10mm bolts) that was a huge difference but now I hear another "heat shield" type rattle. Sounds like its coming from passenger side and at low speed when the rear suspension is moving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.