Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure whether I'm suddenly more sensitive to sounds inside the cabin, but I've noticed two distinct noises recently:

1. When I first start the car, if the A/C is already on, I begin to hear some contraction noises behind the dash. The weather has been around 60-75 degrees recently, so I'm not sure it's the plastic. Once the A/C is shut off, the noise stops.

2. I've noticed alot of plastic squeaking noises coming from the middle console where the emergency brake is, as well as the cupholders. I sometimes hear the squeaking when I'm completely stopped at a light, and it seems to be coming from underneath the cover.

Has anyone noticed either of these two? Also, does anyone know the range of VIN numbers that are eligible for the ECU/TRAC update?

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
The "contractions" are probably the A/C compressor turning on/off, it's completely normal when the A/C is on. The plastic sounds could just be the expansion due to heat as your car warms up, do they ever go away?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Your car's got contractions?

Oh no, it's pregnant!!!!

Ok, enough of that. In any case, if you listen closely, there's also the ventilation system switching from internal to external (you hear a gear-like noise) from the console. It's a moderate motorized sound, but that goes away quickly.

Any creaking noise could be from a sharp cabin temp change. But I think webguy is right about the AC compressor. I personally never start the car with the AC already "on." Just to be safe, maybe you should have a Lexus tech take a look at it.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
I had noise from the passenger A pillar and from the headliner around the sunroof switch. It is extremely annoying....

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by SleeplessSF:
they do go away after about 20-25 minutes.
Cool, that just means the plastic is expanding and contracting due to temperature changes, once it heats up enough it becomes softer so it will flex instead of butting up against other pieces of plastic.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've noticed a quiet, albeit noticeable, squeak near the center console area on the driver's side. I don't know if it's a squaky seat or a squeaky console.

I've had the dealership look at it and they did not notice the problem.

The noise is not real noticeable, but my wife claims she hears it loud and clear and is annoyed by it. It must be that female super hearing?

Anyways, this problem has existed since day one of ownership and still exists today.

I'm not bothered by it as much because I just turn up the stereo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lex 300,yes passenger A piller. It is a creaking-popping noise! I had the dealer look at mine and of course it wasn't making the sound then. It seems to occur over bumps. I haven't noticed it as much since it has warmed up, but when it was below 50 it happened almost every day. I posted a message in the owners forum, but no replies. If you check the is 200 forum some people have had the same problems. I think we have the same frameas the IS 200. There is a weld that isn't quite good enough. I intend to keep complaining and if enough of us do maybe they will have to do something about it. I go from absolutely loving my car to hating it.
Also can anyone check to see how "tight" their dash is up by the A pillar and windshield on passenger side. Mine had a little play and that is where it seems like the problem is coming from if it is not the pillar. The dash on the driver's side in my car is solid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts