Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought an 01 is300 last week and have noticed a weird noise under acceleration.
It in an e-shift with 130k miles
It only makes the noise under quick acceleration.
Its not there if i accelerate slowly or if I go WOT.
The noise is a faint GERRRRRR type sound.
It comes on at around 3k rpm up until right before the car shifts then the same thing.
The only mod is a K&N intake but this noise isnt the intake sound.

Any ideas or insight will be apperciated.

Steve

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
vvti? i think it triggers at like 3200 rpm. does it sound like grinding?

·
Registered
261 Posts
could be something with the exhaust! check all the gaskets and make sure nothing is rubbing on the heat shields!

·
Registered
153 Posts
two sounds i hear
1 sounds like a loose bolt in the engine
Haha, a loose bolt INSIDE the engine would probably do more than sound bad. :)

As per the original post question/inquiry, I believe it has something to do with the stock headers. I recall reading somewhere that the stock headers either rattle or make a rattling sound at particular RPMs/throttle gauging. Hopefully someone can provide a "Yay" or "Nay" stamp on the subject for me or direct you somewhere that has the answer.(The're really good with this, I can never find what I'm looking for when I search :blush:)

EDIT: "GERRRRRRRRRR" if it only happens from a stop and throttle response is faded your air filter or MAF may be the culprit. You can replace one and clean the other very easily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, a loose bolt INSIDE the engine would probably do more than sound bad. :)

As per the original post question/inquiry, I believe it has something to do with the stock headers. I recall reading somewhere that the stock headers either rattle or make a rattling sound at particular RPMs/throttle gauging. Hopefully someone can provide a "Yay" or "Nay" stamp on the subject for me or direct you somewhere that has the answer.(The're really good with this, I can never find what I'm looking for when I search :blush:)

EDIT: "GERRRRRRRRRR" if it only happens from a stop and throttle response is faded your air filter or MAF may be the culprit. You can replace one and clean the other very easily.
I tried taking off the filter for like 2 mins and its not that..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same sound. Happens under part throttle, not full throttle, in the same RPM range. To me it sounds like very faint valvetrain noise. I was wondering what it could be and it's honestly been worrying me a little bit. I want to go autocrossing but am leary to do so because I'm worried about the drivetrain noise. If it's VVTi does it just always do that, or is something malfunctioning?

·
Registered
32 Posts
from my knowledge, the "GRRRRRRRRRRR" only happens when V-TEC opens up all the way and the bolts in your engine tightens itself down to compensate/reinforce itself for the splurge of excess power. Correct me if I'm wrong here. ;)

Kudos,
Jay

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Hey guys I just bought an 01 is300 last week and have noticed a weird noise under acceleration.
It in an e-shift with 130k miles
It only makes the noise under quick acceleration.
Its not there if i accelerate slowly or if I go WOT.
The noise is a faint GERRRRRR type sound.
It comes on at around 3k rpm up until right before the car shifts then the same thing.
The only mod is a K&N intake but this noise isnt the intake sound.

Any ideas or insight will be apperciated.

Steve
I get a growl from the rear end, maybe the LSD !!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
from my knowledge, the "GRRRRRRRRRRR" only happens when V-TEC opens up all the way and the bolts in your engine tightens itself down to compensate/reinforce itself for the splurge of excess power. Correct me if I'm wrong here. ;)

Kudos,
Jay
WTF are you smoking? Can I have some of that too. :pimp:

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you're that worried about it, get out of the computer chair and have the car looked at. There's those things called mechanics out there and while there are many great mechanics on this site, none can physically solve your problem. It could be many things and just telling us over and over that it makes a GRRRRRRR sound doesn't help. Oh and my car GRRRRs too, but it's my right foot that causes it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you're that worried about it, get out of the computer chair and have the car looked at. There's those things called mechanics out there and while there are many great mechanics on this site, none can physically solve your problem. It could be many things and just telling us over and over that it makes a GRRRRRRR sound doesn't help. Oh and my car GRRRRs too, but it's my right foot that causes it...
Yeah did that and the mechanic was "deaf" and i really dont want to pay someone else to listen. Hence the reason im asking if anyone has had any similar noises, at those rpms, under load....kthanksbye

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.