Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whenever both my rear coilovers are adjusted to the same ride hight one side it lower than the other. i have to adjust one side higher than the other to make the car level and have the same wheel gap. is this normal?

·
Registered
418 Posts
whenever both my rear coilovers are adjusted to the same ride hight one side it lower than the other. i have to adjust one side higher than the other to make the car level and have the same wheel gap. is this normal?
How long are you giving it before the car settles and you notice one side is lower then the other? is the lower side the drivers side?

When you adjust the ride height are you doing it on a flat surface also?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Check you tire pressure on both sides and when you adjust your coilovers use some kind of marker to measure your drop on the coilover.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long are you giving it before the car settles and you notice one side is lower then the other? is the lower side the drivers side?

When you adjust the ride height are you doing it on a flat surface also?
i usually drive it around it down the street for a few minutes and come back and then check the wheel gap. the lower side is the passenger side. yes i am doing it on a flat surface.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
^^Ok I figured it out. What you have to do is measure the threads on each coilover. For me I have 3" of threads showing on both rears, and like 2 n 3/4" on both side up front. After driving it around and letting everything adjust, it does now sit level on perfectly flat ground. The problem is its hard to find a perfectly flat surface. Even my garage wasn't flat which is why I had mine all fubared.

My problem was I was measuring it from the center of the wheel to fender. Tire psi was perfect also, but I wasn't on a completely flat surface, which is what really threw everything off.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
well our cars are not 50/50/50/50 balanced so there will probably always be a gap. also the shock will hold the car up/down depending on where it is in its stroke. i've driven myself mad in the past over finger gaps. i've learned that it changes from day to day and to just go out and enjoy driving instead of nitpicking

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so is it best to put it at the same wheel gap or have both sides the same adjusted hight? the difference between the left and right are pretty dramatic, but its at the same wheel gap.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
well if you went out and measured how it sits now, how many inches of threads do you have on each side? Basically how big of a difference is it compairing left vs right?

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
so is it best to put it at the same wheel gap or have both sides the same adjusted hight? the difference between the left and right are pretty dramatic, but its at the same wheel gap.
wheel gap tells you nothing. unless you have leveled the floor your car is sitting on any tilt can throw off the gap. doing your adjustment when your fuel tank is full or empty will change your setup. having crap in your trunk will change your setup. putting a driver in the seat will change your setup.

i would actually just go get your car corner balanced on a half tank, no crap in car, with you in drivers seat. this way you know scientifically that your car is balanced. aesthetically, it may be off a little, but the driving experience on a corner balanced car is definitely worth it.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
so you dont think theres something wrong with my coilovers?
probably not. when my c/o's were set at the same height they made the car tilt a little. i think its normal.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
your car must be super slammed or there is something wrong with them... you barely have any thread left on them. I have like 3" of threads of adjustment on mine to go lower and my car has like 1 finger wheels gap at best.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts