Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weight reduction can produce great results on a NA set-up, even without sacrificing comfort. This topic has been discussed, i know, and i've read, but a few of the questions people posed never got answered.
For example the front seats are insufficient for keeping you in your seat when u drive through the canyons(not fun round a cliff). They have been estimated with a weight of 50-60 pounds a seat. Aftermarket seats (i.e. recaro, sparco, momo, etc. weigh between 9.6 and 25 lbs per seat including the connecting panels( we'll have to deal with no asse warmer) thats an approximate loss of up to 100 lbs, swapping both seats (for about 2K minus the price of stock seats.
My question is does anyone have exact numbers?
i have read about lighter rims and tires decreasing rotational mass, making a huge difference( not to mention lightened flywheel) so i was wondering how much, exactly, do the stock rims weigh. They weigh about 45lbs with the tire( i know this much).
Now all this is incredibly expensive but the gains are not just speed. You get more comfort and your car looks much better, and not stock. Momo seats are incredible, in the Evo, you dont even fly out of ur seat through a corner when the boost hits(trust me i know). Changes such as carbon fiber hood cost, seats, rims, lighter tires, are more costly, but will not incur further expenses when the F/I causes damage to transmission but still leaving that path available for later. The interior look does not have to be sacrificed to drop 200 pounds(20lbs lighter hood, 60 lbs lighter rims including small spare, 100 lbs lighter seats, etc).
3255 lb curb weight - 200 lbs= 3005lbs

3005lb/185stock rwhp= 16.24lb per hp power to weight ratio, much better place to start modding than 17.59 stock not to mention handling improvements from the weight loss :D

Anyway anybody that has opinions or real numbers (better than my estimates I gathered off sites and other .netters) let them be heard.
Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
the altezza(inline4 turbo) has a close to perfect weight ratio(50/50)...but the is300 is on the same setup with about 200-300 more lbs. in the front......

you could reduce weight in the front to make a better handling car...or shift weight to the rear axle (battery in the trunk)....

battery in the turnk would leave more open space in the engine bay also

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I just replaced my driver seat with a Bride ZIeG II and I though the stock seats woudl be very heavy and they where, but after puting on the braket, there was maybe a 15 or so pound difference. All the little things count I guess :).

The best thing would be to make the inside look like this :)

Then we are talking :p

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was expecting a pic like that coming up.lol. I Heard about the battery going to the back. Whoever came up with it first, good thinking, you take from front and add to back (2X the batteries weight because its shifted), but I'm talking about making the car lighter, thats what concerns me mostly. I'm a big fan of better handling also and equal weight distribution is a step in the right direction. Thanx for mentioning that.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol funny u mention that.... u ride on 19's right(chromed also)? nevermind the sunroof, leave her be. and no u dont necessarily hurt ur handling if u take out ur spare, but some manuevers, like when ur cornering, are done better and easier with a near 50/50 weight distribution between the weight that is on ur front and rear tires. Some such as a battery are a must. A battery is easily relocated so it may as well balance out the car by being in the back.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
car is luxury, for me in my opinion, balance that shit out. keep it luxury while sporty. sure you can strip out your car and stuff but damn why dont you jus buy a supra? i know one for sale for 18g 96 tt supra

keep it sporty but luxury bro, get girls attention like wh0a.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A luxury car such as an IS has probably the most potential out there to be a sporty car yet maintain its luxurious aspects. What u say is true about handling, a car can rarely have sporty handling that is both stiff and soft. However a sporty car can be very drivable and even luxurious, but it'll cost ya :wink: . To support my point i refer you to many boosted IS's that have kept all their premium stero and other hardware, and are a very nice drive.....and their curve explodes, growing exponentially after 3-3.5K rpm. These cars can be driven in civil luxury, and raced like they're possessed.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
lighten up the front with a carbon fiber hood...paint it your color

lighter wheels...less rotational mass....get lighter exhaust (titanium...JIC?)

anything that would still make the car bare-able

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
here's the best idea (some perspective) for all of the people looking to remove pieces from the car

you could sell the IS, extend your credit, and buy a used bentley. you could remove all of the items that make the car nice and have a turbo v8 tin can, that weighed only 3000 pounds, but had a turbo v8. it wouldn't have anything but an aluminum seat and a walkman, but man, you wouldn't have to spend hardly anything to make it faster!

IDEA OF THE YEAR!

and that way you wouldn't perpetuate any stereo types of former honda owners buying this car and doing the same disguisting things to it!

what do you think?

idea number two would be to add the appropriate things to make the car faster or handle better, instead of hacking it up and removing anything that will unbolt

·
Premium Member
14,416 Posts
LMAO

Good one!

Bently Dragster!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey GTE I have an idea, why don't you sell your car, extend your credity, and try your idea out yourself. I don't care much for perpetuating stereotypes, what I do care about is improving my car to be faster, look nicer, and more comfortable, basically custumizing it to fit my needs, You seem to understand what I mean. Also Honda owners rarely have 30K to spend on a car and another 5K for custom sh!t, so I could barely find a group to stereotype anyway. I appreciate your humor, but fail to see how it answer to anything this post is about.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
my "credit" doesn't need to be extended, as if i want to make my car faster, i don't remove the items that came with it, and that seperate it from being an average 20k car. i BUY things that make power, and put those on, if i want a faster car, or do the same for handling components

the reason i posted that was to give you some perspective. i hinted at it in the other post, but since you didn't see the relevance i will flat out ask, why not purchase items to make the car faster and handle better, instead of removing things from the car, it really doesn't make logically sense, unless you have a money issue, which would then bring up a different set of scenarios.

i don't know where some of you came from, to get such unrealistic expectations about weight. the fact that this car is a 4 door luxury car, and only weighs 32xx pounds is phenomenal

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never said REMOVE, I suggested REPLACING seats hood etc. with seats that are more comfortable and hold you in position better when yuou're going around the twisties. High quality lightweight seats and do not detract from the luxury of the car. The only thing that would reduce the luxury appeal is the lightweight flywheel because the "drivability" declines. I want to make driving experience better without necessarily raping the ge engine or swapping out the engine altogether. The ride of the IS feels pretty heavy. Also switchin to light weight rims and tires does not mean "taking things off the car" either, so I dont know where you got that I would want to do that.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
my posts were directed to everyone that reads this topic, not you specifically 187g

this post is what got me started on the bentley analogy

your ideas seem to be sound. the hood that weighs less (please paint it the color of the car) and rims that do so should help. i don't particularly like the seat idea, but as long as they aren't bright yellow or purple, and both the front and rear seats are there, it doesn't really detract from the car, this is all of course IMO

-gte

bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
so since i took my spare tire out i atcually hurt my handling?

if there was a way of getting rid of the sunroof!!!
thats like what 100lbs right there?

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
If you want to reduce weight then there is only one area to look at if you are serious. Anything other than this one area is ripping stuff out just to rip it out and you are using the ploy of "weight reduction" as your reasoning.

The area is the rotational weight. You can replace the wheels, tires, and lug nutz... and then your brakes. If you do anything in the name of balance or weight reduction before these you are full of shit(unless in the name of a specific race regulation and class restriction). Then after those "low hanging fruit" you can go after driveshaft and flywheel. The next would be unsprung weight after rotational weight. Then after all of these if you truley dedicated to race car handling then next would be balance(eg; engine swap.. etc...). Obviously coilovers, braces, and such would be all done before these things.

disclaimer: you can do anything you wish to make your car the way you want, but don't use weight reduction as reasoning if that's not what it's really about.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so let me ask you guys this: do you like the stock seat?
Personally I liked the leather and the suade( very nice looking and soft and smooth), but I drive through canyons on a daily basis and would kill to have some momo seats out of the evo, or the seats in the nismo 350Z. Im of an average frame, 6 ft tall, 165 pounds, and I slide around in my luxus' seat a little more than I'm comfortable with, when I need to to focus on shifting and flooring( driving through Benedict canyon or Sepulveda for those familiar with area btwn Bel Air and Beverly Hills)

·
Mr. Negative
11,977 Posts
I like the stock seats. But I also don't like the look of too much flash either. Your reasoning is fine for replacing the seats especially if you like the look of the momo/bride/etc seats better. All I'm saying is that's your reason, not weight reduction. Weight reduction is a consequence of what you are doing, not the reason.

my bud has sweet custom seats in his Teg, and they're nice. Match the interior and all. And they hug you like a 10dollar whore.

187g said:
so let me ask you guys this: do you like the stock seat?
Personally I liked the leather and the suade( very nice looking and soft and smooth), but I drive through canyons on a daily basis and would kill to have some momo seats out of the evo, or the seats in the nismo 350Z. Im of an average frame, 6 ft tall, 165 pounds, and I slide around in my luxus' seat a little more than I'm comfortable with, when I need to to focus on shifting and flooring( driving through Benedict canyon or Sepulveda for those familiar with area btwn Bel Air and Beverly Hills)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like that feel ( and no I'm not talking about the ten dollar whore).

And yes i agree with you about the seats being more of a comfort and look thing, but the change in weight is still significant, one of the most significant things you can do, ( as said after relieving some of the rotational mass).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts