Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I know this is COMPLETELY out of place, but, you people are more insightful than the bimmer.org pricks. Do any of you have any idea why the 328i is about 100 pounds lighter than the 328ci? Ive racked my brain, but I cant think of anything plausible.

Again, sorry for posting a BMW question here.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i think the ci comes stock with the sport package etc.....whereas you have to pay for those options on the sedan

·
Registered
387 Posts
the frame is different....... the door is different.......I don't know why so much difference, but even though they looks the same, it's actually a different car. It's very hard to make two car with same or similar weights with that many components.

Mrclam, won't the sports package make the car the same weight or even lighter? (I don't know, just a question, you seems to know more about bimmers than I do)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i thougth the sport package would make the car heavier....i guess heavier wheels and the sport suspension? i really have no idea =) i'm just taking stabs in the air

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Isn't the ci version of the cars slightly longer and wider than the sedan version? That would explain part of that hundred or so pounds difference, and adding those sports package and different body panels, you may end up with a heavier car.

·
8,107 Posts
Don't ask clam unless it's an M3.
According to BMW's web page, the difference is only 37 lbs. The Ci doesn't come with sport package, just sport suspension (stiffer springs, 1 inch lowered) - no weight gain.
Coupe doors are heavier than sedan, since they must withstand crashes with a longer panel than a sedan, this is most likely where most of the weight gain is.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yeah hehe =) i can tell you that the m3 sedan has a stronger chasis and is narrower/taller than the coupe but the same weight
hehe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
mrclam
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing