Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all of you people who drag your cars:
If I wanted to get better 1/4 mile times is the weight of the spare tire in the rear helping me or hurting me?

What happens?

a. the spare tire weighs down the car and would make my engine rev harder to get it moving.... :-?

or

b. Since the IS is a rear wheel drive car, weight on the rear would help give my car that little extra grip on the launch? :-?

Oh and I do realize that spare isn't that heavy and won't make that much of a huge difference...

oh and what is the affect of weight in the rear on power braking?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
cmondamnit said:
Question for all of you people who drag your cars:
If I wanted to get better 1/4 mile times is the weight of the spare tire in the rear helping me or hurting me?

What happens?

a. the spare tire weighs down the car and would make my engine rev harder to get it moving.... :-?

or

b. Since the IS is a rear wheel drive car, weight on the rear would help give my car that little extra grip on the launch? :-?

Oh and I do realize that spare isn't that heavy and won't make that much of a huge difference...

oh and what is the affect of weight in the rear on power braking?
Unless you are having serious traction problems (which you aren't unless you are making some serious power), take the spare out. It's enough weight to make somewhat of a difference in your time, but it's nt enough to make you get more traction. If you need more traction, get better tires.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
I think most people remove the tools + spare when doing 1/4 mile runs because all it really does is add weight which isn't helping. Either way, it doesn't weigh all too much so I don't think it would affect the time dramatically. Pretty sure it would actually help having less weight.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
the tools and the spare, if stock weight 65 pounds...

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
if behind the firewall, and non rotational just to clarify

Dernick said:
CarbonIS300 said:
the tools and the spare, if stock weight 65 pounds...
Old rule of thumb is that 100 lbs. equals 1/10th of a second off your ET.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
IS300GTE
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing