Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had the same tires on since i bought my is300 and have gone ten thousand miles. Just the other day i was at a stop light and the guy next to me told me that sparks were coming out right on the inside of both my front tires. When i got home i looked and both of my front tires are completely worn to the threads on the inside of both tires. Im not really sure what would cause this because my rear tires have about fifty percent tread left but the fronts are just worn out. I dont know what would cause the sparks so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i had the same issue with my tires after getting my car. chances are, whoever previously owned your car had it lowered and adjusted the camber appropriately at the time. if you take it to any alignment shop they'll be able to fix it no problem for you. i think it cost me about $100 for the alignment. other than that, you'll definitely have to get the new tires

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought it was the alignment or something but im almost positive the previous owner did not lower it. and even if they did lower it why would the problem come up now and not when i first got the car?

·
Registered
113 Posts
You know something, I had this problem as well. The tread on the tires is at about 80%...but the inner side-wall was getting worn down terribly. Unfortunatly, it resulted in me getting a flat tire on my way snowboarding this last weekend (the inner side-wall just finally gave way). The tires came on the car when i bought it over a year ago. I noticed the wear a few months back, and tried to get the car aligned, but the shop would not do it saying "these tires already need to be replaced within the next 6 months, an alignment would do nothing for me" and that if they did an alignment with the tires the way they were, I would need another alignment when I replaced the tires.

The previous owner bought the car new, and never lowered the car at all. I thought I was the only one with this issue, but makes me feel better I'm not. Oh well, I just ordered some new Falken ZIEX ZE 912 from edgeracing.com, and I'm going to make sure that these wear right.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
resolved... its a bitch but i had to get two new front tires and get an alignment. thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Its called caster, when you make a corner the suspension automatically adds camber as you turn the wheel further. The inside edge on the front tires will wear drastically faster especially if you do alot of U turns or low speed tight turn driving (like parking lots or right hand turns) I KNOW my alignment is dead on and my car is not lowered yet i have a nice 45 degree notch worn into the inside edge of my tires. Our Cars multi link suspension (rear) and double wishbone with aggressive caster (front) give our cars relatively good handling. The only downside, it also eats tires. I work at VW and Touaregs have a similar suspension setup as ours (yeah a 6000lb SUV that handles, amazing) and those bastards chew up tires......Next time you do a U turn and dont have to do a K turn or you have fun around the corner just think of how grateful you are for the suspension you have....We could be like SRT-4 owners and NOT be able to do a U turn on MOST roads......

·
Registered
45 Posts
working at lexus i see alot of IS;s. from mild to wild. its just the way it is. they wear tires in the inside edges. anywhere from 10k to 30k miles. same with the SC430 and some GS's. the caster is around 6.3 deg. which is not a lot of caster. the camber is what gets you. even stock most have about -.7 deg. all the way up to -1.0 stock. but like others said the car handles awesome. even though there is not a caster adjustment for that car you can still change it if you want. if anyones into alignments
pm me for info/

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Caster is what owns me, I have -.4 camber upfront.....I ran -2.5 on my neon with 0 degrees caster and they wore perfectly even on the tires....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Caster is what owns me, I have -.4 camber upfront.....I ran -2.5 on my neon with 0 degrees caster and they wore perfectly even on the tires....
are you thinking of toe or caster. i dont think that caster can go to 0 deg?
but yeah toe can eat up tires if set wrong. especially if there not even. you will just be dragging one tire and making it a slick on the inside hehe

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
FWD cars generally have 0 or close to 0 degrees caster. Hence them needing to run more camber to keep the front tire touching the pavement in a hard corner (think race cars) Excessive toe would cause feathering and no, my wheels are not pointed in or out. Caster is how far back the pivot axis is turned back so that if the wheel were turned 90 from straight you would have that much camber. The problem with caster is that it exaggerates your camber if youre not cornering hard and creates excessive wear.....

That is a perfect example of caster, look how much the front wheel is leaning near full lock. THAT causes wear. Now excessive camber can cause inner wear but less than 1 degree is not enough to eat your tire.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Will an alignment on a stock IS300 correct camber if your tires are being eaten alive on the inside?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Guys and gals,
There have been countless threads on this issue.
Do a search.
It's usually not caster or camber, but toe.
Toe out gives more responsive handling, toe in gives more high speed stability.
Give you car more toe in.
I put on 10K highway cruising miles (Illinois highways, mostly big straight lines, w/o turns) when I first bought my car and wore my inner treads to the steel belts (which can make sparks, to answer the first posters question).
Had the issue been camber or caster, the wear would have been uniform across the tire, not just on the inner edge.
Realigning to my own specs fixed the prob and eliminated the wear issue.
I got well over 30,000 miles of even wear on my BFG G-Force Sports.
And even though the alignment was less agressive, the car still handles better because the BFG's are so much more tire than the OEM Bridgestones were.

Reactions: LawsIS300

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks and rep for everyone who helped out. i tried searching but i was kind of in a hurry because i was about to have two blown out front tires but again thanks everybody

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guys and gals,
There have been countless threads on this issue.
Do a search.
It's usually not caster or camber, but toe.
Toe out gives more responsive handling, toe in gives more high speed stability.
Give you car more toe in.
I put on 10K highway cruising miles (Illinois highways, mostly big straight lines, w/o turns) when I first bought my car and wore my inner treads to the steel belts (which can make sparks, to answer the first posters question).
Had the issue been camber or caster, the wear would have been uniform across the tire, not just on the inner edge.
Realigning to my own specs fixed the prob and eliminated the wear issue.
I got well over 30,000 miles of even wear on my BFG G-Force Sports.
And even though the alignment was less agressive, the car still handles better because the BFG's are so much more tire than the OEM Bridgestones were.

So I did a search and read the other posts on the subject, as well as the alignment specs recommended here http://my.is/forums/f95/tire-wearin-inside-problem-315918/ , but was wondering...when I get my new tires mounted on monday, and get the car aligned...the factory specs will not work? Will I need to bring these specs in and request the shop perform it that way? Sorry I know almost nothing about tires/alignments. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can bring in your own specs for them to try to achieve, you may need to sign a waiver, which is no big deal.
You'll probably still be within oem specs, but you won't be in the middle of the oem specs, you'll be toward the conservative end of the range.
Most alignment rack computers aim for the center of the mfr's range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought new Bizzaks for my stock wheels as my OEM tires had that inner tire wear as well. I'm now looking at buying summer rims and tires. I'm going to 18". Will it matter if I get an alignment now with the Bizzaks? Or should I wait till I get my summer 18" wheels to do the alignment?

·
Registered
244 Posts
its just the caster wear...it happens to all is300's...but i dont know why the front tires ran out before the back ones did...mines is usually the opposite its because i peel out to much when i race though:)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I just bought new Bizzaks for my stock wheels as my OEM tires had that inner tire wear as well. I'm now looking at buying summer rims and tires. I'm going to 18". Will it matter if I get an alignment now with the Bizzaks? Or should I wait till I get my summer 18" wheels to do the alignment?
You can do the alignment now.

Reactions: hmongis300

·
Registered
590 Posts
its just the caster wear...it happens to all is300's...but i dont know why the front tires ran out before the back ones did...mines is usually the opposite its because i peel out to much when i race though:)
It certainly doesn't happen to my IS300 anymore. My fronts and rears wear very nicely and I'm staggered, so I don't rotate either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts