Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard that our 5sp clutch is weak. i do the occasional trac-off, 3k rpm launch on freeway on ramps now and then, maybe twice a week? how long do you think my clutch will last?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
AustinAltezza said:
ive heard that our 5sp clutch is weak. i do the occasional trac-off, 3k rpm launch on freeway on ramps now and then, maybe twice a week? how long do you think my clutch will last?
i do not own a five speed but know alot of peeps who do on the IS, You should be fine, just as long as ur not droppin at at a real high rpm range, the stock clutch is alright, the people who deal with the problems are the guys who have the turbos and such but everyone knows with any type of FI u must upgrade the clutch because it cant handle the power, ya but u should be ok bro.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
38k miles on my mostly stock 02. No signs of letting go anytime soon. I do the occasional clutch dumps as well, but I don't slip it any more than necessary normally.

·
Registered
847 Posts
aturk99 said:
i know i am about to get flamed but what the hell is a clutch dump?
why would you get flamed? not everyone on this forum is an assh0le...

revving the engine to a set rpm (usually a high rpm) while cluth pedal depressed and in first gear. Then release clutch pedal.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Release the clutch pedal quickly = clutch dump. The cunterpart is slipping at high engine speeds which is what we typically do under normal driving conditions. It just causes (a lot) more wear at higher engine speeds. Both are severe or accelerated wear on the clutch (and flywheel and transmission) components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts