Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from Chimney Rock we came up on a
Blue IS300 on I-40. I noticed immediatly the car didn't have the stock ride height.
Approching the car from rear the camber squat was VERY noticable.
The car had the stock 17" wheels.
We rode to left rear of the IS for about 2 miles just checking it out.
Of course we wern't Inside the car but the
car appeared to NOT to negotiate
the bumps in the road very well.
The car didn't appear to be "Slammed" but there was NO wheel gap to be seen. The driver was the only occupant.
Upon passing the Blue IS300 (OF couse we gave each other the Thumbs Up)

After pulling ahead of him about 40yards
I had a chance to look in my mirrors at the car. Looking at the front of the ALREADY AGGRESSIVE looking car it was even Meaner Looking.
But now the Front Camber squat was noticable, NOT AS MUCH AS REAR but still noticable. And the rear wheel squat was still noticable from front.
Of course this is MY OPINION but unless you're needing the ride height lowered for racing purposes I don't think the "Appearance" of the Lowered IS300
is Worth the change of a perfectly tuned stock suspension.
Also I might add, I posted a while back that Denise has already scraped the bottom of her tail pipe tip backing out of our drive. (Very Lightly) But still it scraped.
Now looking at this Lowered IS I know not only the tip of the pipe may scrape but the entire muffler unit looked awefully close to the ground.

Just our observations.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I assume it's really hard to evaluate that car by not knowing what method he/she used to lower it. Did they just replace the springs ? Springs and struts ? Was it a coilover suspension ? I'm sure you don't know, but it would be nice to know. I think if done properly, you can have increased performance and looks without sacrificing much. Check out some of the the posts in the suspension forum.

p.s. I believe you're supposed to adjust the camber when lowering, aren't you ?

[This message has been edited by disintegration (edited October 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
571 Posts
camber is supposed to be adjusted.....a mild drop, say .75 or 1.00 would not neet that much adjusting, or probably won't have much negative camber at all.

WIld drops will make your wheels slant inside, and with the IS already kinda low in stock form, I think anything over 1.5'' will be too low.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts