Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my experience with the IS has always been with Zymol (japon) wax (the real stuff). But it always seems to be a huge pain to buff it off (by hand) after I apply it and let it set for a little while.

Anyone else have this problem? How long do you usually leave your wax after you apply it before taking the towel to it? Anyone recommend an orbital buffer??? Otherwise, it seems this takes forever!

:-?

Oh, and I know a little Zymol goes a long way, so I always try to apply only the minimal amount. What's the trick?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Wax on, Wax off!

When I used do a full detail on my car by hand (just the exterior) it took me a good 3 hours to finish up the whole car sometimes 4 hours!

Washing only take about 20-30 min but the waxing, removal and then polishing and checking for any remaining wax takes forever, especially if I do 2 coats!

Think of it as this: This is good training for when your wife/girlfriend is gonna smack the crap out of you, you'll be prepared to block her strikes :wink:

Get an orbital (costs range from $50-150), it'll cut the time you spend on your car! My wife feels better now a days when it only takes me 1-2 hours to do my car now!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DL said:
Wax on, Wax off!

When I used do a full detail on my car by hand (just the exterior) it took me a good 3 hours to finish up the whole car sometimes 4 hours!

Washing only take about 20-30 min but the waxing, removal and then polishing and checking for any remaining wax takes forever, especially if I do 2 coats!

Think of it as this: This is good training for when your wife/girlfriend is gonna smack the crap out of you, you'll be prepared to block her strikes :wink:

Get an orbital (costs range from $50-150), it'll cut the time you spend on your car! My wife feels better now a days when it only takes me 1-2 hours to do my car now!
Hey DL.
It's funny b/c tonight when I was waxing it, I was thinking the same thing (wax on/wax off) :lol:

Actually, I am training in Jeet Kune Do so I'm already pretty good at blocking her strikes, hahaha. Seriously though, yeah it takes about a good 3-4 hrs for the exterior detail--getting to be too much time outta my day these days. That orbital buffer is looking like a good idea. Any swirls/streaks from using it?

Thx.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I have an Orbital Buffer, hasn't left streaks yet. :D But then again, I love to wax by hand, helps when I'm fighting Agents :wink:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I think with Zymol you need to do a small area at a time and not let it totalyy dry. I think it's just supposed to get hazy. Even with an obital buffer I had trouble with it streaking ans smearing and I had to buff it several times. I quit using it.

I also think about wax on, wax off every time I wax my car. I wonder if those movie people know what an impression that phrase mad on us.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
blue_j... most waxes say let it 'haze' but not completely dry. I heard the 'real' Zymol says wipe on and then off right away and not to let it haze at all. It takes skills and practice to use a orbital buffer because the heat can burn through the clear coat, and there is actually more risks with swirl marks in the hands of inexperienced users. But it will work wonder if used properly.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solarpower2002 said:
blue_j... most waxes say let it 'haze' but not completely dry. I heard the 'real' Zymol says wipe on and then off right away and not to let it haze at all.
Yeah, that's what's specified on the product and on their site ("do not allow Zymol to dry")...However, when I initially tried that (way back when) it seemed like it was too soon to buff and left everything streaky...ugh. So now I let it haze (about 35 min in the shade...too long? too soon?) and then buff. :crazy:

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
solarpower2002 said:
blue_j... most waxes say let it 'haze' but not completely dry. I heard the 'real' Zymol says wipe on and then off right away and not to let it haze at all. It takes skills and practice to use a orbital buffer because the heat can burn through the clear coat, and there is actually more risks with swirl marks in the hands of inexperienced users. But it will work wonder if used properly.
Reading from my Zymol bottle:

Do one 2' by 2' section at a time.

Remove excess polish before it dries.

The problem I have with Zymol is that when you buff it off wet, it smears and streaks. So you go back and buff it again. Then you need to hit it one more time very lightly with a towell to get rid of the last little streaks.

As for the orbital buffer. All you have to learn to do is not put pressure on it and keep it moving. Of course you need to change pads once some wax gets built up on the bonnet.

Now, a regular rotating buffer, like on a drill motor, that's another story. One can really screw up with one of those.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
try using a microfiber towel to remove the wax, that thing is simply amazing. it easily takes off all wax residue without leaving any dust behind.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
You might be putting too much of the product onto your car. I use Zaino, and found that I was putting way too much on.... you only need to put a super thin layer on for it to do its work. Once I changed it was so much easier to apply and remove.

I also use a RANDOM oribtal buffer to remove any swirls, but I never do the waxing with it. I did wax my sister-in-law's car with it and it turned out great. Personal preference, but I trust myself more doing it by hand. The buffer works great for swirl remover though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
IS-300-Rulez said:
I dont mind waxing for 2+ hours cause I know I am going to love the results :D
What if you can get the same awesome results in 20 minutes?

Zymol is great with its major pitfall being hard to remove. Check out P21S/S100 for similar look with less effort.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Tinlemon said:
You might be putting too much of the product onto your car. I use Zaino, and found that I was putting way too much on.... you only need to put a super thin layer on for it to do its work. Once I changed it was so much easier to apply and remove.

I also use a RANDOM oribtal buffer to remove any swirls, but I never do the waxing with it. I did wax my sister-in-law's car with it and it turned out great. Personal preference, but I trust myself more doing it by hand. The buffer works great for swirl remover though.

Good luck.
I use a chamois cloth to buff, cotton pad to apply. Works pretty well for me. I only use 1 ounce of Zaino w/ ZFX accelerator per coat. IMO there is no quick way to detail your car and maintain beautiful results. You got to put the time in to reap the benefits :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts