Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know there are tons of threads about this but my comp. is having trouble searching the forum and wont pop up any threads so. I was wondering if anyone happens to know a good thread to read up one about waxing and the full process of doing it. My car has the "spider-web" thing going on and i want to do a full wax job to get it out. Or if someone could recommend a step by step process on what to do to fix this prob.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Waxing alone will not fix paint defects. Waxing is for looks only. Its protective properties are vastly overrated.

You'll need to do a polishing pass in the least to get rid of spiderwebbing.

BossMan is right, head over to autopia.org, search thoroughly and prepare to be overwhelmed with knowledge.

Good luck.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Properautocare.com......all you need to know.

You need to follow the steps below:

Wash
Dry
Clay
Polish
Wax or seal

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the awsome info. I searched meguiars online and read up on a lot of info as well. one question though how long does the process usually take to wash, dry, clay, polish and wax. Rough estimate would be cool like 3-4hrs?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The polish stage will be the most time consuming, depending on how much damage you're trying to correct.

The last time I polished it took almost 10 hours over two weekends using a Porter Cable 7424. :jawDrop:

(took that long because I was really trying to get rid of some original swirl marks when I bought my car in Feb.)

Wash, clay, wash and dry will take anywhere from an hour to hour and a half.

Sealant, Wax, etc. can take about an hour.

And don't forget to do your glass, lights, and wheels/tires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
revster said:
The polish stage will be the most time consuming, depending on how much damage you're trying to correct.

The last time I polished it took almost 10 hours over two weekends using a Porter Cable 7424. :jawDrop:

(took that long because I was really trying to get rid of some original swirl marks when I bought my car in Feb.)

Wash, clay, wash and dry will take anywhere from an hour to hour and a half.

Sealant, Wax, etc. can take about an hour.

And don't forget to do your glass, lights, and wheels/tires.

Good luck.
:jawDrop: 10hrs for poishing!! HOLYCRAP!! i was just looking to get out the "spider-web" effect(will be doing everything by hand). Oh and BTW has anyone ever used the MOTHERS Clay kit and how good it is or is there another product i should buy?

·
Registered
484 Posts
zainobros.com and their zaino products are the shiznit, they have some really good car cleaning tips on there also. the spider-web you're talking about are swirl marks, essentially little scratches on the surface of the paint. you can search google and there are a whole lot of articles on getting swirl marks out. you can't ever get rid of them completely but you can minimize their appearance. Here's what I do:
wash with mild detergent such as Dawn, clay, wash with car shampoo, dry thoroughly, polish with Zaino (usually 3-4 coats), wax with McGuire's NTX nanowax (usually 2 coats)
i basically just follow all the directions on Zainobros.com they have a bunch of tips and stuff, their products are very good but also expensive. a lot of members on here use zaino

·
Registered
403 Posts
RanFerr_is300 said:
:jawDrop: 10hrs for poishing!! HOLYCRAP!! i was just looking to get out the "spider-web" effect(will be doing everything by hand). Oh and BTW has anyone ever used the MOTHERS Clay kit and how good it is or is there another product i should buy?
Getting rid of swirls by hand is hard.

Try doing a small spot and see how you feel after that.

I'm not kidding. You will have doubts about the value of this once you realize how much work is involved.

Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My $.02 worth on waxing

Getting rid of swirl marks without some sort of mechanical device (ie Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher) will take you HOURS and some tired-ass arms. Enough said.

Revster pretty much nailed every bullet point you're going to have to do to get rid of those swirl marks.

My take on it, depending on how fine a job you want to do in getting rid of those swirl marks, either PAY someone else to do it OR buy a Porter Cable 7424 or something similar and get a set of polishes & foam polishing pads. What I mean by a set of polishes is that most manufacturers have different levels of abrasiveness in their polish. I've had some great results with Poor Boy polishes using the SSR 2.0 and then SSR 1.0. Other people like the Menzerna line to get rid of swirl marks. In any case, you'll need to purchase a "few" items to tackle your swirl problem.

OR again, pay someone to take them out for you and then you just maintain the paint finish by using proper washing techniques, claying as needed, sealing and waxing. Honestly, this may be the cheaper way to go considering how valuable your time may be.

I've used Zaino on my silver Honda Pilot and it's tits, man... durable, smooth and shiny. I'm currently experimenting on my IS with the Klasse twins and a bunch of carnaubas to top off the Klasse sealant. So far, I'm liking the S100. Sorry for the jargon, a lot of this stuff is better explained at autopia.org

I hope this kinda sheds some light on your situation.

-Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mixxmstrmike said:
Getting rid of swirl marks without some sort of mechanical device (ie Porter Cable 7424 random orbital polisher) will take you HOURS and some tired-ass arms. Enough said.

Revster pretty much nailed every bullet point you're going to have to do to get rid of those swirl marks.

My take on it, depending on how fine a job you want to do in getting rid of those swirl marks, either PAY someone else to do it OR buy a Porter Cable 7424 or something similar and get a set of polishes & foam polishing pads. What I mean by a set of polishes is that most manufacturers have different levels of abrasiveness in their polish. I've had some great results with Poor Boy polishes using the SSR 2.0 and then SSR 1.0. Other people like the Menzerna line to get rid of swirl marks. In any case, you'll need to purchase a "few" items to tackle your swirl problem.

OR again, pay someone to take them out for you and then you just maintain the paint finish by using proper washing techniques, claying as needed, sealing and waxing. Honestly, this may be the cheaper way to go considering how valuable your time may be.

I've used Zaino on my silver Honda Pilot and it's tits, man... durable, smooth and shiny. I'm currently experimenting on my IS with the Klasse twins and a bunch of carnaubas to top off the Klasse sealant. So far, I'm liking the S100. Sorry for the jargon, a lot of this stuff is better explained at autopia.org

I hope this kinda sheds some light on your situation.

-Mike
after all the comments i've heard so far...i think im just gonna go ahead and pay someone to detail my car and i'll just maintain the best i can. You are right, i don't have that much time to spend detailing my car. Thanks again for the useful info.

·
Registered
403 Posts
RanFerr_is300 said:
after all the comments i've heard so far...i think im just gonna go ahead and pay someone to detail my car and i'll just maintain the best i can. You are right, i don't have that much time to spend detailing my car. Thanks again for the useful info.
One more bit of advice: be very careful about which detailer you select.

Be sure they understand that you want to get rid of the swirls, scratches, etc. and demand a guarantee to that effect.

If you check out the Click & Brag section at Autopia, particularly the work of Scottwax, GSRstilez, ScubaStevo, and Anthony Orosco, you will see what level of quality you should expect from your detailer.

For example, check out the job Scottwax did on this black S500:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59772

And the original damage on that S500 shows that even with the right equipment and products, an orbital or rotary in the hands of an idiot may cause more damage than you started with.

+rep to mixxmstrmike for the good advice.

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
The most important part of detailing is not the waxing, but the prep work to get to waxing. Your car can be shiny as fuck but with all those swirls and stuff.....thats yucky.

Chan

·
Registered
98 Posts
revster said:
One more bit of advice: be very careful about which detailer you select.

Be sure they understand that you want to get rid of the swirls, scratches, etc. and demand a guarantee to that effect.

If you check out the Click & Brag section at Autopia, particularly the work of Scottwax, GSRstilez, ScubaStevo, and Anthony Orosco, you will see what level of quality you should expect from your detailer.

For example, check out the job Scottwax did on this black S500:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59772

And the original damage on that S500 shows that even with the right equipment and products, an orbital or rotary in the hands of an idiot may cause more damage than you started with.

+rep to mixxmstrmike for the good advice.
I couldn't agree more with revster on his advice on being selective on "WHO" details your car. I would suggest reading up on Autopia.org to see the severity of swirl marks so YOU know what you're explaining to your detailer. I think part of selecting your detailer is properly explaining to them what exactly YOU want done to the paint.

Here's a case in point..

I have a friend who is a decent detailer. He sets up a detail appointment with a lady who has a black SUV. He clears his morning appointments because he knows, sight unseen, that black painted cars are probably the worst to detail to perfection. So he gets to her place (he's mobile by the way) and she says "How long will it take to wash my car?" Her definition of "a detail" was equivalent to a car wash!

What I'm trying to say is the better informed you are of what you're trying to get accomplished with your paint, the easier it will be to show the detailer. Your knowledge will also help you decide if the detailer was worth the money you paid or if they're just talkin' the talk. Take your time and chat with as many detail shops as you can.

Good luck and definitely try to take before and after pictures!

-Mike

·
Registered
8,552 Posts
My suggestion for a nice detail is as follows:

Wash(Do not dry car)
Clay
Wash and dry
If you got a lotta swirls then use Poorboy's SSR(use different grades depending on imperfections), if the swirls and scratches aren't sevre, then I just suggest going with Z-PC.
Z6 wipe down
Z5w/ZFX x 3 plus Z6 wipe down in between
Z2 Pro w/ZFX x 3, Z6 in between as well
Finish it off with Z8

With that you'll have an amazingly beautiful car with a shine that'll blind you.

Note:this is a two day process

Chan

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
here's another vote for checking out autopia and properautocare for car detailing info. there is certainly much more there than on the IS forums. detailing gurus haven't been as forthcoming here, in my opinon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts