Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. After I got my car back from an accident, I heard the sound of water swishing on the passenger side behind the dash/ glovebox area when I accelerated from a stop. They had forgotten to recharge my AC, so I thought that might have been related. But now that it has been charged, the sound is still there. Haven't gone poking around in there, but wondered if it might be related to the air filter box or something where some liquid collected? Any Ideas?

Thanks - V

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
There has been previous threads regarding the same issue. Nobody has found out what it is. Mine does it once in a while. I think it has to do with the heater and the coolant running through.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
we have discuess this, and the swishing is due to a air bubble in your a/c system, and if notify the dealer next time u go in for service, they will *burp* it for u so the swishing is gone.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Flatline IS said:
I had this problem. I "burped" the cooling system and it is fine now.
Can you explain how u burped it? In a DIY style please. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a honda that did that. It was the A/C water drain that came from the evaporator that was plugged up. The water accumulated in the dash area, and sounded like liquid swishing around when I was driving. Found a bee in there. When I unclogged the drain, it took care of the problem.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
i had the same problem before:

it's either:

1)burping ac system

2)low coolant

In my case, it was low coolant.

·
Registered
425 Posts
check behind the carpet near the glove box...a hose for the A\C to condensate might have some loose...if you turn on your AC and its summer time, water could begin to build up in there and cause you to have a nasty smell...try that and let me know...

·
Registered
234 Posts
^^bump^^

I'm starting to hear this swishing sound too. If it needs to be "burped," can someone please explain??

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
It's like purging air from a line. If it's your coolant, fill it up, and i know on the bmw's there's two things you can do:

Find the bleeder screw on the t-stat, or allow the engine to idle with the radiator cap off.

The only thing is, with the radiator cap, we had an overflow resevior, and no cap on the radiator itself, so i'm not sure if that will work here.

Either way, you can take it to the dealer and ask them to bleed your cooling system and A/C system. If you're coolant temp needle fluctuates often, it's prolly your cooling system that needs a bleed.

I notice that it does it on mine, particularly when i get on the gas. That would be cooling system related, since when you apply throttle, you spin the water pump faster, and it will pump more water into the system...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Flatline IS said:
I had this problem. I "burped" the cooling system and it is fine now.
this is the answer, mkiii supras do it alot and loud! so burp it, i think u park ur car on a considerably big hill, crank it and take the radiator cap off, and let it run, but dont drive somewhere and then do it because u might get sprayed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In some cases there's an issue with the impeller inside the water pump. The one in my car went out at 25,000 miles back in January. The fact that some of you may have low coolant could be a sign that the water pump is leaking.

I should note that this is rare, and could also be an internal pressure issue within the HVAC system. The dealership will flush the system and test the waterpump to verify that everything is working within specs.

-M

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
MIne does it alot. Only when I first start it up. In neutral, when I slowly give it gas, it sounds like bubbles racing through lines under the dash. Goes away when I haul ass through the city though. I suggest you buy a loud system to compensate for all the scary noises your baby makes. It's what I do. Hope that helps :wink:

Kill

·
Registered
952 Posts
i had that problem and it was low coolant. had it fixed and now no probs. --matt

·
11,061 Posts
Oh, good. Now I know the dealer won't look at me funny when I bring it in. I JUST started hearing it this week (of course, I was just at the dealer a couple of weeks ago... bad timing...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts