Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I never realized this until a few weeks ago, but I have water leaking into my trunk, well sort of. On the passenger side of the trunk where you can access behind the wheel is where the water is. When I bought my IS the owner said the back window had been replaced because he let it sit outside during a bad hailstorm we had here. This seems to be the only place the water is going so I'm not too worried about it, but I'd still like to fix it. There is a plug I can pull to let the water drain out, so I don't know if this is a design in the car or not because no water gets into the space behind the other rear wheel. Has anyone else ever had this problem? The rear window was replaced by Toyota, so I thought it would be done right, but maybe it wasn't. The only think I can think of is that the window is leaking and somehow the water finds a path to where it settles behind the wheel.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Might be the sunroof drains too. Or the trunk gasket.

I had to clean and paint both of those pockets on my car. They were collecting rust which suggests they were wet too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always check them both and the passenger side one is the only one that is ever wet. I just don't drive it in the rain now. I have a daily beater for that haha. I'd still like to fix it though.I didn't think about the trunk gasket or the sunroof drains though. Would the sunroof drains go back far enough to reach the trunk? I think it's the back glass because it fogs up so much easier than the rest of the windows.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i have issues with water pudding after a huge storm in the trunk rear side pockets, but for it to get into the spare wheel well thats pretty bad. Theres sunroof drains when you take the roof panel off check if they are clogged, if they are you need to blow compressed air through to shoot out all the dirt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have issues with water pudding after a huge storm in the trunk rear side pockets, but for it to get into the spare wheel well thats pretty bad. Theres sunroof drains when you take the roof panel off check if they are clogged, if they are you need to blow compressed air through to shoot out all the dirt.

The water isn't getting into the spare wheel, just the pocket behind the wheel on the passenger side. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet There's some pictures showing where the water is getting in. Excuse all the wires, I blew a 6x9 and I was working on that.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

·
8,880 Posts
Change the vents on each side of the trunk. The rubber on the flaps is brittle and it no longer seals. My IS had the same identical problem. It was more pronounced during winter.

·
8,880 Posts
Where are the vents located?
In the side of the pocket where the water is collecting. Look for a black shroud with a rubber flap. I paid somewhere around $30 for each side.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the side of the pocket where the water is collecting. Look for a black shroud with a rubber flap. I paid somewhere around $30 for each side.
Ok thanks man I'll go look now! Do I need to just look for daylight to be coming though? Or see if it is brittle and breaking?

·
8,880 Posts
Ok thanks man I'll go look now! Do I need to just look for daylight to be coming though? Or see if it is brittle and breaking?
Just push the flap around. It moves freely. You'll feel it. That thing practically fell apart in my hands when I took it out.
It's a 15 minute job to replace the whole thing too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just push the flap around. It moves freely. You'll feel it. That thing practically fell apart in my hands when I took it out.
It's a 15 minute job to replace the whole thing too.
Man I don't see a black flap on the inside anywhere, it all looks metal to me. I see one on the outside, but not on the inside. Unless it's somewhere that I can't see, I don't have any of the trunk taken apart, I just lifted the flap up to access that pocket.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nevermind I found it! I felt around a little more and finally felt it. I don't know how I missed it the first time haha. I guess I'll order one and replace it to see if that works. Thanks vlad_a!

·
8,880 Posts
Nevermind I found it! I felt around a little more and finally felt it. I don't know how I missed it the first time haha. I guess I'll order one and replace it to see if that works. Thanks vlad_a!
You're welcome, mate! Hope this does it for you.
Took me a bit of searching to solve this problem for myself.
Needless to say, these vents need to be replaced anyway, so no loss in any case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're welcome, mate! Hope this does it for you.
Took me a bit of searching to solve this problem for myself.
Needless to say, these vents need to be replaced anyway, so no loss in any case.
Well I'll replace them if I can ever find them for sale haha. I've checked every website I know to buy car parts from and none of them have it. Do you remember where you got them?

·
8,880 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts