Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for tha corny subject title...

But I was just wondering if the new DVD-Navigation equipped IS300's could play a DVD, like the Matrix!

If it can not, why do they call it DVD? And can you adapt it to play DVD's??? Or would you have to buy a totally seperate LCD monitor and DVD player?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I don't know whether the factory DVD navigation system can play DVD movies or not. But the reason it's called DVD is because the medium used to store the navigation data is on a DVD disc.

I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Originally posted by YisSerL:
I don't know whether the factory DVD navigation system can play DVD movies or not. But the reason it's called DVD is because the medium used to store the navigation data is on a DVD disc.

I could be wrong though...
Thats exactly why. The medium that is used to store the nav. data is in DVD format and uses a DVD processor, but it will not play DVD's. Sounds dumb, but trust me I have the alpine DVD navigation, and that doesnt play DVD's. The 2002 factory NAV will not even be able to be used as the monitor for any other video sources, as of yet. Some companies make conversion kits. I know they have one out for the Acura NAV so you can use it for other video sources, but nothing is out for the IS, and it would be something you would have to get aftermarket nothing Lexus is gonna offer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i sure do hope someone makes an adapter for tha lexusNAV too! Lexus should keep that option available for people who want to use tha monitor for videos/DVD movies. i mean, who uses tha navigation system that much NEwayz! seems like a waste of monitor to me...

it would be tite to play GT3 in your IS!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think they do play dvd's because i was watching belly in my friend's lx470. The dvd player will only work if you have the parking brake up, but he had that removed, so we can watch dvd's all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone know anymore about the LCD on the Nav unit, can it take other input's rather than the Nav?? I really don't know much anout the Nav unit in general, and of course most links in this subject are fairly old..

Anyway, share the wealth..

·
13,978 Posts
no it can't take other inputs. you'll have to buy a pioneer avc-rgb1 converter and solder wires in to be able to watch dvd's.

PICTURES of my car!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oneeyejack on 2001-11-15 14:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm..that sucks. I guess after market is the way to go then, although, looks could be a little less perfect than factory!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
teebes
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing