Lexus IS Forum banner

4701 - 4720 of 4748 Posts

·
dot com
4,978 Posts
One of the watch winders that I purchased through our store. Individually programmable TPD and direction settings. I love it!

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Is that your first PAM? Love it!

Greg Stevens Designs. My favorite straps and he's local to me, so I actually go to his house and pick them up in person.
Indeed! PAM 312, which had everything I wanted: seconds, date, 1950 case, and sandwich dial. My GMT-IIc stopped for the first time in 4.5 years. That never happened when I had the IWCs, JLC, Speedy, others. I love this piece.

I want an OEM Black JV and Buffalo, but the prices are insane right now. I will check out GSD for sure.

·
dot com
4,978 Posts
Citizen is really stepping up with some new cool models. This one is quite possibly my favorite watch that Citizen has ever made. Introducing the Mesh Chronograph:

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Wow, love that. Still one of my favorite reasonably priced watch makers

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Wow, are we completely done here?

Man, i have a few new watches but I guess there's no point in posting them...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Forgot about this thread!

I ended up pulling the trigger on this vintage Elgin Father Time railroad grade pocket watch after I saw the seller drop his price a bit on Ebay and a bunch of others watched it. Elgin created the first key-wound pocket watch that was specifically developed for the railroad industry. In 1893 the railroad industry changed its standards for watches due to a terrible crash in 1891 because engineers watches were being stopped and restarted. More competition emerged and Elgin began producing the Father Time model. The new standards were for watches to have a minimum of 17 jewels (jewels act as the bearings for the gears since they don't really wear; the more the better) and this particular model is a 21 jewel from 1920.

The blued hands were in the best shape of any I have seen, the double recessed face is nice and that ornate 14k white gold case sealed the deal. Very unique from a lot of the others I have seen so far:

Finding a vintage chain that doesn't cost more than the watch itself has been a challenge, so until I can find one I scooped a Charles-Hubert chrome finished chain with the more convenient belt loop clasp. I don't own any suits with vests so the T-bar is not as ideal for me ha.

I dropped by a local jeweler I have done a lot of business with and trust to see if he knew where / how to get it serviced. He does not work on pocket watches and he said there is really nobody in the Charlotte area or NC that he knows of in general that is qualified to work on these types of watches. He did say that if your watch is operational not to have anyone work on it or service it. Any time it is taken apart there is a chance something else could break...and if it breaks it either has to be replaced with parts that generally aren't made anymore or they have to be remanufactured. So basically other than that, the only time to take it in for service is if something breaks or it is broken! These can be maintained by winding them up (and not overwinding them) every now and then to keep the springs in good shape. if they sit for a long time unwound they can wear out apparently.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Nice, what kind of price range are we talking Lee?
$250-$300 buys you a really nice one. I think I paid $269.00 shipped. Like anything else you can certainly pay more for crazy, rare minty ones but that wasn't what I was looking for.

Expect to pay 3-4x that for a period chain, especially in gold / white gold. Mine was $25.00 on Amazon and it looks awesome.

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Been a little busy the last few months, really since I moved to Florida. I went through my G-Shock phase, luckily it stopped at 5 watches.

It then moved into the diver phase which is still going strong. Late year I got the Ecozilla that is posted a few pages back, at the same time I got another Citizen diver which I hated the orange rubber strap it came on. A few weeks ago I picked up a black/red NATO that goes really well with the PVD case, this watch now gets a lot of wrist time:

I then picked up a new generation Orange Monster, been wanting to get one for years and finally went ahead and did it. Pissed I waited so long, I love everything about this watch. It has even gotten me to re-think my desire for larger watches.

Bad picture:

Despite my previous statement I had a moment of weakness and bought a Deep Blue DayNight 32. This thing is a beast and I love it.

Finally last week I decided to go ahead and finally buy myself a "nice" watch. Of course I'm still feeling the diver love. so I picked this baby up from the WUS used forums. It arrived today and I could not find one flaw, my wife and a friend at work both thought it was brand new. My friend watched me open it and the seller packed it so well he couldn't believe it was a private seller.

First impression is that the quality is obviously at a level I am not used to. The fit and finish are flawless, the heft perfect, the band is a work of art, the face, despite being black, shows as black, sometimes brilliant blue, sometimes slate gray. I don't think I'll ever get bored of looking at in different lights. Fits and wears much smaller than the listed 44mm, this is good and bad. It will wear well under a cuff but it lacks the size I'm used to with some of my other watches. It definitely is a fashion diver, not nearly the tool diver my DB and Eco are.

4701 - 4720 of 4748 Posts
About this Discussion
4.7K Replies
157 Participants
Chigger
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing