Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I have looked around for this info but haven't really found anything that comes out and says it. I need to pick out my wastegate and I have a question regarding spring rates w/boost controller.

Ok say I have a wastegate with a 5psi spring in it. when the boost controller adjusts the vaccum it fools the wastegate into thinking that it hasn't reached 5psi boost yet, correct? thus 5psi will always be my min boost level correct? are their any negetives to going with a very low (3psi) spring and using the boost controller to get the higher boost levels or I'm I completly wrong?? :-? :-?

what wastegate is everybody else using, I'm looking at the TurboSmart Ultra Gate right now...I know it's only 35mm but it works well with the my RevHard manifold.

·
Registered
789 Posts
uni said:
Ok say I have a wastegate with a 5psi spring in it. when the boost controller adjusts the vaccum it fools the wastegate into thinking that it hasn't reached 5psi boost yet, correct? thus 5psi will always be my min boost level correct? are their any negetives to going with a very low (3psi) spring and using the boost controller to get the higher boost levels or I'm I completly wrong?? :-? :-?
I think the main thing would be what boost are you looking to run on a daily basis? I believe(and guys correct me if I am wrong) that the spring rates can usually be doubled with the use of a boost controller. The thing you want to consider is that if you run to low of a spring rate then you might not be able to hold the max psi you are looking for, and if you run to high of a spring rate then you will not be able to get down to the boost level you want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im using a TIAL with a 3.5 psi spring. From my research I decided to get the smallest spring I could and use a boost controller. I havent come accross a downside to using a small spring as long as you have a boost controller.

On the other hand like gavron said if you have a 7 psi spring that is the lowest boost you can run.

gavron1 said:
uni said:
I think the main thing would be what boost are you looking to run on a daily basis? I believe(and guys correct me if I am wrong) that the spring rates can usually be doubled with the use of a boost controller. The thing you want to consider is that if you run to low of a spring rate then you might not be able to hold the max psi you are looking for, and if you run to high of a spring rate then you will not be able to get down to the boost level you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.