Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SBM needs a good washing, but it's too damn cold to be outside! I don't like the idea of those car washes with the huge brushes, and I'm balking at taking it to get hand washed cuz it's gonna cost anywhere from $23 - $30 for something so simple. But unless it's warm enough Saturday (forecasts say high should be 44), I might have to...

How about everyone else here? How are you getting your car washed in the cold?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
Dude, go to the dealership and pay nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38,938 Posts
My hand wash only. Now and forever...

Pick a slightly warmer day and go for it. The other day, it was barely 50 degrees, but just bareable enough to get the job done. In the long run, you'll be happy you did.


Oh yeah, I put another coat of Zaino on that same evening when it was in the 40's. Took all night to dry but turned out GRRRREAT!

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited December 12, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
wow, washing your car at 50 degree? I would never do that. I ran into the same problem last week when my car was extremely dirty (and still is) and I want to wash the car. The problem is that the temperature this past weekend were in the low 60s and I was just getting better from a pretty bad cold. I know I don't want to get sick again, so I am almost tempted to go to the car wash places. But now I am just going to wipe the car a little and then wash it after I have my service this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
wow, washing your car at 50 degree? I would never do that. I ran into the same problem last week when my car was extremely dirty (and still is) and I want to wash the car. The problem is that the temperature this past weekend were in the low 60s and I was just getting better from a pretty bad cold. I know I don't want to get sick again, so I am almost tempted to go to the car wash places. But now I am just going to wipe the car a little and then wash it after I have my service this weekend.
Damn i feel good that i get free hand washes every saturday at the dealer........

If i didnt get that then i wouldnt be able to wash my car the whole winter.......its only 10 degrees today...........BRRRRRRRRRR



------------------
Later

ONYX 01
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Go to a self car wash, if you have one in ya area. Don't use their harsh soap or brush on your car. Bring your own soap and bucket. Use their so-called soft brush to clean ya rims. Rinse dry and get back into the heated seats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
I wash mine no matter how cold it gets. Can't stand my car looking brown...I have the SBM so the smallest spec of dirt is visible. Im in Seattle so it does get pretty cold. But my house we have hot water that links to the outside so I can wash my car with hot water.

------------------
Spectra Blue IS300
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called the dealer (Lexus of Alexandria) where I bought my IS from and they said they would only give complimentary car washes with a service appointment. I think that's a load of BS, but what can you do...

Any chance the other dealerships would give free car washes even though I didn't purchase the car from them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I always hand wash my cars. But if the temp is below the freezing mark, then I don't even bother, as the rinse water will freeze on the paint before I can dry it off.

If its above freezing, I just go inside the house and fill my bucket with warm water and car wash soap. This way my hands will stay warm. Works for me.

------------------
99 M3
01 CL Type-S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
lilaznboi, how much did you pay for your IS after tax? I live in Seattle too and want to know what others around here are paying. Thanx. Also, which dealer did you buy from??

[This message has been edited by DOHCVTEC (edited December 12, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I am very lucky, I live a block away from an do it yourself heated indoor car wash facility. They have vacum cleaner, water with pressure spray, etc the works. Of course, I don't use their soap. I bring my own soap, brush and bucket.

The draw back, they charge 50cents Cdn per minutes. So I wash the car like I was part of the indy team. Usually cost me 7-15 dollars Cdn, pending on how detail clean you want the car.


Originally posted by Sweetzzzz:
Go to a self car wash, if you have one in ya area. Don't use their harsh soap or brush on your car. Bring your own soap and bucket. Use their so-called soft brush to clean ya rims. Rinse dry and get back into the heated seats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
I wash my car in any temperature, as long as it's more than freezing. I use Neopreen waterproof gloves, similar to what scuba-diver's use. Works like a charm, and my hands stay toasty warm...try it!
Eddie

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see
 

·
Podiatrist
Joined
·
23,616 Posts
I wash my car about every 2-3 days. I live in MA and go to school in CT.

If you have a garage, that is the best situation. I pull my car into the garage, turn the hose on with light pressure. I wet the car and wash it. I do it so in my 3 car garage, I can wash my car without getting the other 2 wet. I can also get the underneath of the car. I let the water drain out of the garage.

If you don't have a garage, I suggest the following. Do wash your car. However, choose a sunny day. The side facing the sun will usually stay wet. Then turn your car around and wash the other side. ***BE CAREFUL***
Ice may trap dirt to the paint and if you try and wipe the ice off, you will end up scratching your paint.
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,974 Posts
Dude, just grin and bear it. There is no way you should be driving around in a dirty IS.
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,974 Posts
Originally posted by SophieSleeps:
I wash my car about every 2-3 days. I live in MA and go to school in CT.

If you have a garage, that is the best situation. I pull my car into the garage, turn the hose on with light pressure. I wet the car and wash it. I do it so in my 3 car garage, I can wash my car without getting the other 2 wet. I can also get the underneath of the car. I let the water drain out of the garage.

If you don't have a garage, I suggest the following. Do wash your car. However, choose a sunny day. The side facing the sun will usually stay wet. Then turn your car around and wash the other side. ***BE CAREFUL***
Ice may trap dirt to the paint and if you try and wipe the ice off, you will end up scratching your paint.
Man, it sounds like you are doing a HELL of a lot of driving. So, how many miles to you put on your IS a week? I do about 250 a week just back and forth to work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
mccarlin, what dealership did you get your car from? If it is Bredemen in Glenview, they won't give carwashes till it gets warmer out Thats sucks
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top