Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok to spray the engine with water? i remember reading somewhere in the ubb that it wasn't a good idea, but my friend says it's ok. so i just want to make sure. thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
From what I've heard, it's fine, excpet you need to cover the distributor and electrical wiring or something like that, check with someone before you try it as I am not really sure what to cover. I like a clean engine bay, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
dont do it... some people spray their engine bays, bu its not a good idea... besides, the your is300 cant be THAT old... so u should just wipe off the parts in engine bay... make sure the engine`s cool to the touch and use a wet cloth or rag... it helps to have some kind of non-waxy cleaner on it, like windex or engine degreaser.... when using engine degreaser read the instructions and use as directed... windex worked fine for me and doesnt stain...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. i bought a jug of simple green or simply green or whatever, i heard that stuff cleans engine real well. but thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
mmm I think simple green will leave a little bit of a film. I have sprayed mine of but with a low pressure and did it wile the engine is running. just stay away from the wire box on the drivers side. also you can use some kind of car show sprays that have teflon in it that you can wipe on it works nice.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Simple green works great for me. Like WHITE IS300 said dillute it a bit, also just use low pressure from the hose to wash everything away. It perfectly fine to get the engine wet just dont use too much pressure espically around the electrical connectors and such. I was y engine bay down about once and month. I 've done this with all of my cars in the past and NEVER had a problem.

Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My suggestion, spray your engine bay with wd40 and wipe off then spray down with water (light preassure) I've been using this method for years on the Lexi and no problems, engines look new.

When in doubt WD-40, stay away from harsh engine cleaners

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have an IS300, so I don't know whether these parts are already covered or not, but this is how I clean my engine bay

Cover distributor, alternator, and battery terminals with saran wrap or plastic bags. Spray off engine and hood liberally with high pressure hose, until all loose dirt and oil comes off. After I spray Gunk citrus engine degreaser everywhere, let it sit for 5 minutes, and I brush all the parts that need it. I let it sit again, and I spray it off for 5 minutes after. With the hood open, start the engine and let it idle for 15 minutes. Let it cool down for a couple of hours, and spray a whole can of engine finish. It's a clearcoat for your engine, it will shine up your hoses and it will give metal parts a shiny deep wet looks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you guys positive Simple Green is safe? I have read in the past that it can be bad for some materials.

...I just wipe it down with a damp rag. Bling Bling.

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: youseelabruin ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts