Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So apparantly there is supposed to be a crush washer for the drain plug. I changed my oil last night and did not see one and I did not see one when I changed the oil. SHould I worry about this if it is not leaking right now. Or is this going to be something that will just become a problem over time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
sometimes it sticks to the car on mine, sometimes it comes off. I'd keep an eye on it. One time it came off and I didn't notice, but there was a small but visible leak- maybe a few drops per hour.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I just dont want to have to drain the oil again just so I can put another washer on. I cant really afford to drop 35.00 again on oil. maybe if it leakes or something I can put some kind of sealer on it.

·
Jedi Knight
7,619 Posts
For the next oil change...you can go to either Toyota or Lexus dealer...they are approximately 5 cents each if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I use the crush washer, but in a pinch (when I've already drained the oil and realize I don't have one) I've gone without. I never had a problem without one. The jokers at my Toyota dealer charge 55 cents each for them. Highway Robbery!
You should be allright without it. Just keep a close eye under your car. And next time just avoid the stress and put one on then.

·
Jedi Knight
7,619 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didnt order filters, I just got a Bosch one from Auto ZOne. I assume that the BOsch one is just as good as the toyota filter. But I will probably just go to the dealership and get like 5 or so for the future.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Is this post about an IS300 model? I've had one since 2000 and done all my own oil changes... either mine never had a washer on the oil drain plug or I lost it the very first change, because it hasn't had one since. I've never had any oil drips.

Rob

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
^^ Wow thats amazing!!!

Its probably stuck to the oil pan drain hole and you can't even see it... if there is a small lip when you remove the plug the washer is stuck to the pan.. If not you some how have a drain plug (washer less) that never leaks...

Regardless the washer should be changed every oil change..
It just good practice... They can start to leak at any time, if they are not changed out every so often...

Jz :bigSmile:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Joe Z said:
^^ Wow thats amazing!!!

Its probably stuck to the oil pan drain hole and you can't even see it... if there is a small lip when you remove the plug the washer is stuck to the pan.. If not you some how have a drain plug (washer less) that never leaks...

Regardless the washer should be changed every oil change..
It just good practice... They can start to leak at any time, if they are not changed out every so often...

Jz :bigSmile:
No, definitely not stuck anywhere. I always clean off the oil pan and the plug well before re-installing it and I would certainly know if there was a washer stuck to the pan.

I'll have to look into getting one... but I apparently don't really need it.

Later,
Rob

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I went to the Toyota dealer to get the oil filter, the parts guy did not have the metal crush drain plug gasket that is used on the Lexus (90430-12027, I think). He gave me ones that appear to be fiber or some other non-metal substance. I eventually got the metal ones from the Lexus dealer.
Anyone know if there's any harm in using the non-metal Toyota gasket ? Or, do I have the wrong P/N for the gasket ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts