Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shock has been making the most obnoxious noises when i am driving down the brick road I live on (doesnt do it on paved roads since it is not bouncy), but anyhow....I took my car to Lexus for them to check it out and they said that they cannot look at it because the sway bars have got to be the problem.

They have had my car for three days now and still they say.."we cannot duplicate the problem" when it is a really obvious problem. They said they are going to call me tomorrow (day 4 with them having it) To take a ride with them to see if they can hear the sound (it is almost a hollow sound that happens when the car bounces....ever heard of anything like it?).

It is only from the front right shock, which the sway bars should have nothing to do with ESPECIALLY since it was there the first time i took it in without the sway bars and they said they fixed it when they never did.

Also....they are looking at this too....when i am going about 80 mph roughly (sometimes less) there is a sound in my car that sounds like wind is coming into my right door. I told them about it last time so they replaced my body plugs but it did it again immediately after they did that. so that cannot be the problem.

When I close my door there is not a flush closing sound like when i do it on my drivers side....but on the passenger side it sorta tattles twice when you slam it closed. It is different from the drivers door which should not be.

Has anyone ever experienced with of these two problems? If so....what did you do because my LEXUS is not doing their best in finding out what it is and wants to send me home with a still noisy car!

Thanks in advance for your helps guys! Its much needed!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I don't know where you are, but why don't you find another Lexus dealer???

If you do go to another dealer, why don't you put stock sways back on so they don't have no more execuse?

If it was my car and my dealer, I would have been all the them and GM!!!which they will never do that to me anyway.....

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have to drive back to lexus today and they are going to let me know whats up.....makes me so mad. Sometimes its like they dont even care!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
dude, if the shop was remotely interested in fixing your car, all they have to do is disconnect the sway bar links and secure the bar, go for a test drive. you dont even need to remove the bar itself. they are just jackin yah around. lol, swing up to my dealer in michigan, I'll take care of it, warrenty.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I too have noticed odd "wind" noises near or around the doors when traveling upwards of 80mph. Never been able to put my finger on it but it doesn't sound as annoying as your problem.

Good luck w/ the dealer. I've always wondered myself about how well dealers stick to your warranty with mods. Any input on this, guys?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Dude i have the same problem with the front suspension that you do. When ever i hit a pothole it will make this thumping noise and if i take a left turn it also does that. I took my car to Lawerence Lexus and they stated that they searched and could not find the problem. Im going back next week so ill let you know if i can help you out in anyway.

- Amit

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,620 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it cant be anything to do with the sways since the problem occured before they were installed!

They called today before i went to pick it up though today and gave me some semi-good news.
They said they think the shock has something to do with the strut bar on the right side so they ordered a brand new one. There was also another part for the strut bar they ordered too.....so i am delayed another day in getting mar car though...

For the wind noise they did not say a thing....so i do not know whats going on there (i did not answer the phone my dad did so he forgot to ask).

Anyhow i will see what they said tomorrow and keep ya'll updated.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Here is a repair bulletin from Lexus on wind noise..can it be this?

BODY
BO007-00

October 13, 2000

Title:
REAR QUARTER WINDOW WIND NOISE

Models:
'01 IS 300

Introduction
A production change has been made to reduce the wind noise from the rear quarter window. The following repair procedure has been developed to address those vehicles in the field that exhibit the condition.

Applicable Vehicles^ 2001 model year IS 300 vehicles.
Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty *:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Repair Procedure

1. Remove the rear quarter glass. Refer to the 2001 model year IS 300 Repair Manual, Volume 2, pages BO-25 through BO-28, steps 1-4 and 10-11 for details.

NOTE :Steps 5 through 9 are not necessary to complete the procedure outlined in this TSIB.
2. Add two pieces of EPT Sponge Sealer between the rear quarter glass weatherstrip and window frame as shown.

Sorry can't post pics but it is for 2001 vehicles starting with VIN number

JT6BD182510006222 and up

Hope it helps

Digger08

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
mine has this same wind noise your talking about but mines an 02 so would i be covered under that tsb?
Brett

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Not saying that this problem is related..just a possibility.

..But no, it is not covered in 2002. Just 2001.

You can still try and ask, see what the dealer says.

This database is not that accurate.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it back....they changed out all the struts and a shock bumper and a few other things. The knocking is gone.

They however did nothing about the door, so i will see if it keeps it up, and if so i have to take it to Lexus of Melbourne instead of Lexus of Orlando!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.