Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find a discussion prior to 2015 when searching so thought I would bring it back. I have gone through 3 sets of rotors and pads in 30K miles. The latest were cross drilled and slotted, they lasted the longest but now they are warped again. Really aggravating. I suppose I could try and find a set of race discs and pads, but don't like that idea for the road since they need to heat up. Anyone had any luck with specific rotors and them not warping? I have a 2003 IS.

·
4,280 Posts
First, Did you remove and re-lube your caliper pins? Second did you use brand new rotors and new pads at the same time? Also did you do the rears at the same time? Next what brand and model did you use exactly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Powerstop rotors and pads. Both changed at same time. I did not change the rears as the vibration was clearly coming from the front and the rears had plenty of pad material. Yes I lubed the pins on both sides and replaced a caliper on the PS and bled the system.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
113 Posts
do you ride the brakes, no offense but I had a customer who did and would go through brakes every year.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you keep having this problem, and have had the results three times, why havent you taken it to a mechanic?

·
4,280 Posts
I used Powerstop rotors and pads. Both changed at same time. I did not change the rears as the vibration was clearly coming from the front and the rears had plenty of pad material. Yes I lubed the pins on both sides and replaced a caliper on the PS and bled the system.
If you did the same thing each tie you had issues. You are over working the brakes. Do all 4. If happens again. It is the way you are using them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crazy, thought this was a sports car. I would say I drive it "spirited" when I did a search for warped rotors on this forum, there were a lot of posts, just none recently so I thought maybe someone found a decent rotor/pad combo. I took it to a mechanic and they wanted to replace the pads and rotors with "Lifetime" parts. I've tried those before and they squeal like a mug!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did try to heat cycle them yes. I have not removed the rotors yet as I wanted to replace them with something hopefully better. I may just go with Brembo or Stoptech.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I did try to heat cycle them yes. I have not removed the rotors yet as I wanted to replace them with something hopefully better. I may just go with Brembo or Stoptech.
I got burn marks on my oem Brembos but they aren't warped.

·
Registered
2004 is300
14 Posts
I bought a set pads and rotors from eBay two years ago upon installing had to replace a rear caliper. Then noticed I had to replace lca bushings so did those with the figs lca poly bushings and those are awesome.
I’ve ran this set fine for two years now in city driving and constantly braking. Rear pads about to go and the front rotors one might be warped cause it shakes a bit when braking from 80-70mph, slight burn/rings but overall they bite good and they’re ok. Will be upgrading to a better set maybe stop tech
about 20k miles on under 200$ eBay front and rear pads and rotors.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,492 Posts
I would hardly call our cars “sports cars.” If you are doing simply everyday driving then just stick to the OEM Lexus rotors and pads. Or A reputable BLANK rotor. Slotted and drilled rotors are garbage. Just a hyped up setup to get people to buy them. Power stop/ Power slot brake packages on rock auto that I have installed have been cheap stuff. This is my experience with them.

If you HAVE to buy a “performance” type rotor, buy a slotted rotor or a dimpled rotor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you inspect the mating surface on the hub to make sure the new rotors will sit flush? Also following proper torquing procedures when refitting the wheels is relevant too. Misalignment with the mating surface, incorrect torque process and value are the most likely cause for warped rotors

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you setting the e-brake when parked after "spirited driving"? That'll warp them for sure. Supposed to just leave it in gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts