Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. Recently i installed a srt intake with piggy back(actually someone on the forum did all the work) BUT i did not install the heat shield because i did not have proper clearance, i actually found the problem PM me if you are having trouble getting hood clearance for your srt. Anyway so the day and the next day was fine, so i was driving back and i even drove back on i 5 goin 90 ish with no problems. So i got back on base and my camp is located through the mountains anyway, i hit the clutch and was cruising and put the gear into either 3 or 4th i cant remeber, all of a sudden when i put the car back into gear my car went into limp mode(power steering turned off and all the warning lights turned on). scary as hell so i checked up the forums and well i noticed that other people who experienced the same problem have after market short rams. after feeling how my car felt without the heat shield, first gear and second were very choppy. after doing some research it seems the culprit is the intake getting too much air. notice the factory air scoop thats above your gear that most people probaly left on. The scoop is force feeding too much or too hot air into your intake which may be causing problems for your vehicle throwing off the maf sensor thus causing the car to go limp. also i think places above sea level where the air is thinner may also cause the car to go limp whereas some people may have never had their car go limp with an intake on cruising around sea level. this is just my 2 cents because after i installed my heat shield everything felt good again. i hope this is the culprit, i almost pooped myself when i went limp, thank god it was a backroad and not somewhere without a shoulder.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Same thing happened to me with my JoeZ. was only doing about 50mph and came up to a red light and ALL the warnign lights came on the dash and the car stalled out (i have an auto). I pulle dover and popped the hood and the coupler had come off the stock intake box. so i grabbed a dime out of the car and loosened the coupler ties, shifter the coupler back into place and then tightened it again. that was like 5-6 months ago and its been fine since.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sup Derek, wow glad to hear you got everything straightened out. yea it looks like the problem you had was the intake sucking in too much air. if you look at your heat shield its actually blocking the flow of air coming from the scoop, so as long as that scoop is blocked or even removed, i think you should be fine

·
Registered
853 Posts
haha forsure dude, so did you notice any power gains from stock?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts