Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i received this cashiers check not too long ago ... but something did not seem right, so after i deposited it, i told the buyer that the bank placed a 7 business day hold on it, just to cover my ass. he argued with me, but that was how it was, had it cleared after the 7 day wait, he would have received everything as agreed.

there was no 7 day way, a cashiers check is as good as cash, it was in my account the next day, but i wanted to wait it out, a few days later, back came the money out. i received this in the mail today stating why, so anyone that does any sort of exchange that is not in person, use your intelligence and be careful.

-gte

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen. The money order looked very fishy and I ended up spending about half a day making calls all around to the Federal Reserve Check Division. They told me the bank routing number was fake. I told the guy to go fuckhimself...

I found out that a cashiers check and money order even when valid are EXACTLY like a check. They can be cancelled just like anything else. Now it's paypal or wait for it to clear or fuckoff. Damn ripoff artists.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
Nice catch GTE!!!!!!!! :chill:

Is this guy a .Net Member????? I hope you reported him.... This is a serious Federal Crime... Jail time for fraud!!!
:pissed: :noway:

BTW - If anyone else is not sure of a Bank Certified check, sometimes if you can verify the issuing bank, you can call them and verify check number, date, amount & authorized signature at Bank.....
In this instance, that Bank of America check may have been a known stolen or counterfiet check number before depositing it...

Good Luck all...

Joe Z 8)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did the bank just return it to you and leave it at that? Did they launch an investigation or go to the federal authorities to start the process of pressing charges?

Or do they just stick it back in your lap?

Great Catch!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was not a .net member to my knowledge

the bank just gave it back, i don't know if they are investigating, i would imagine this isn't the first time and they have probably lost thousands to whomever is behind this

hopefully this stays close to the top for a while so that people will be aware and wise

when i sell my trans swap kits, there will be a wait for people's cashier's checks and money orders

i don't feel like having to drive 10+ hours to beat someone with the driveshaft that i just sold them, ya know?

-gte

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
wowsers, good catch gte! what gave it away? ppl who do shit like that need to have transmissions shoved up their ass.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nothing in particular gave it away i guess, i just had a feeling, and it didn't look right, i've seen BOA cashiers checks many times and that one looked "older" or something

i then checked the fed ex tracking number from the envelope he sent me, it was from poyles, england and he had said that it was money owed to him from someone inside of the US. that made me even more suspicious as i thought why would it originate in england, if the person that owed him money was in the states?

i always try and do my homework and cover my ass, i was blessed this time not to be fooled

-gte

DonCorleone said:
wowsers, good catch gte! what gave it away? ppl who do sh*t like that need to have transmissions shoved up their ass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.