Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys warm up your car with the weather getting colder and colder everyday and for how long? thanks nicky

Silver IS......only one in Loma Linda

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i try to warm up the car a minute or two until the temp guage hits the second notch or so, sometimes (read usually) i am late for class and start the car and go...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I've heard that you shouldn't idle your car for too long because while the engine warms up, the other parts of the drivetrain still remain cold. So instead, drive easy for several minutes so everything gets a chance to warm up evenly.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
on the m3 i start up, wait 30seconds toa minute until the rough idle dies down, and drive conservatively and not at WOT for 15-20 minutes(i'm rarely on the road fro more than 10 minutes so there's really not that much point for me) but that's hwat i do. for the benz i don't give a crap, i start up, wait 15-30 seconds, drive conservatively(relatively) and yeah

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all your input......its funny how we have so many people in CA with IS's but i never seem to find them.......nicky

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You don't want to idle and warm up your car that way because most engines have hard time getting oil to the parts like that. You want to drive your car easy for the first 5 minutes or so until all the components are nicely warmed, then you can start to pick up the throttle. I think this is what most mechanics will tell you, unless you talk to a race car mechanics because they tell the driver to sit in the car and rev the engine for a good 5 minutes or so. I've seen this done by almost every team in CART, but then again, they don't have the luxury to warm up the car by driving slowly around the track before the qualifying session.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea, for sure don't idle longer than necessary. You probably don't need to idle at all, actually. Trouble is that oil pressure is at its lowest at idle and you'll be wearing engine parts fastest that way. Notice that in your manual it probably defines long periods of idling as "harsh" (or similar term) conditions meritorious of more frequent oil changes.

Mechanics worth their salt will suggest that you just drive very easy for the first few minutes 'till the engine warms up.

In some countries (European) it is illegal to leave your car idling to warm up. If the IS has an oil gauge notice that oil pressure is at its lowest at idle.

The M5 has a red (yellow?) line on the tach that gets higher and higher as the car warms up from a cold start. Hey, you can always run Slik50 or similar protectant if you're worried about longevity. As if any of us will still be driving our cars after say 50,000 miles, anyways!

Then again, 'other' Acura TL owners unlike myself might suggest that you rev the IS300 up to redline for a minute right after you start it up. That would be an easy way to reduce your compression ratio for a future turbo install...

------------------
'01 Acura 3.2TL
'88 Mazda RX-7 Convertible

·
Registered
292 Posts
so final word...
do warm up too long?
maybe just 30sec-1min?
anyone can give us a brief final word?

cause i used to warm up my car till the temp pass the second notch...

thank you

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Don't idle. Start your car, start drivig right away but take it easy, probably try to keep it below 3K rpm or so. Don't start revving the engine hard until the temp gauge is showing operating temperature and you have driven for a while.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
the temp gauge is coolant temp and has nothing to do with engine temp so while the coolant might have warmed up the engine might not be warmed up yet.

Originally posted by Daniel:
Don't idle. Start your car, start drivig right away but take it easy, probably try to keep it below 3K rpm or so. Don't start revving the engine hard until the temp gauge is showing operating temperature and you have driven for a while.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am just using that as kind of a rough estimate. I guess I should have stated that before, thanks for the correction.
Just drive the car for a few miles, especially on these N/A cars. For my old eclipse GSX, the engine heats up right away thanks to the turbo.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think somewhere in the manual, it saids to wait at least 10 seconds after start up before you drive the car. Then just drive carefully for a few minutes until the car is warmed up.

--k

·
Registered
861 Posts
Since in the morning its around 40 or so. I wait for the heat to come on. then i go but i never bring the rpm above 2k for about 5 min

------------------
Martin

Black/Ivory IS300

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Daniel's right. Anything else is bad advice. Start it and drive carefully until up to reg. temperature.

Originally posted by Daniel:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts