Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals,

I was curious to know if Warming up the car in the morning is important. Its like 20 degrees out in the morning (its garage kept so the car is warmer) and i tend to start it and take off. I never jump on it while its cold, i usually do light city driving(under 35 mph)for about 15 minutes then hit the high roads....

Will this or can it harm the engine...

inquiring minds would like to know!!!!

------------------
Later

MIKE
ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Intake, Tint (2 weeks)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There was a post a while back in the Owner's section of the forum about this issue. It's not really an *issue*, I suppose... it's just that everyone has varying opinions.

There's been mornings when it's well below starting up my IS300... IN MY GARAGE, for that matter, as well. And yes, I definitely let it sit and warm up a bit. Same thing at when I get off work at 11 p.m. and it's below zero degrees outside. A lot of my co-workers start up their cars and just throw it in "Drive" and take off... while I on the other hand, wait just a few minutes.

The question is: How long? And is it really necessary?

I usually wait a matter of 2-4 minutes... and then take off. Others have said that after you warm up the vehicle, you should just take it easy initially. But for me, I get on a major freeway that's about a mile from my apartment. I don't floor it and begin going 90 m.p.h.... but again, I do get on a freeway right away. So there isn't much I can do about that.

What does everyone else do?

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Hard to say for sure... we're dealing with modern engines and oil, but if you want to be safe, I'd say let it warm for at least 2 minutes. If the engine has been sitting for longer than a day, and the weather is below 20 degrees, it can take a while for the oil to warm/thin-out. If you start stressing the engine without adequate oil, you can guess that there's going to be excessive wear. In areas with long periods of sub-zero weather, people often use engine block heaters to keep their oil/engine warm overnight.

·
8,880 Posts
I prefer to warm up my car. I installed remote start so when I get into my car it's all warm inside. I accelerate at high RPMs, so it's important to me. From what I heard, if you don't run high RMPs, your engine should be OK.

·
11,062 Posts
Our mornings have rarely been lower than 30 degrees all winter. I just turn it on, wait 30 seconds and then pull out. The speed limit on the road just outside the condo is 35 mph. I take it very easy up to the next intersection and drive normally after I get through that light, about five blocks down. The temperature gauge is usually up to normal within five blocks of that point.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
You guys are killing me. The most important thing for you to do is to drive immediately at conservative rpm's until you reach optimum engine temp. It is NOT good for your car to let idle for several minutes. And this is not my opinion but every single good mechanic you ask will tell you this.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by brad:
You guys are killing me. The most important thing for you to do is to drive immediately at conservative rpm's until you reach optimum engine temp. It is NOT good for your car to let idle for several minutes. And this is not my opinion but every single good mechanic you ask will tell you this.
I have heard this as well, But a couple minutes i dont think will hurt. I do know that letting your car idle to long is not good, I dont know why, im not a mechanic, im a driver

------------------
Later

MIKE
ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Intake, Tint (2 weeks)

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
I usually let my car idle for a minute or so, just to get the oils flowing just right and give the tranny a chance to warm a bit.. Otherwise you get that nasty cold tranny shift syndrome.

------------------
  • Formerly "rarjoon (517 posts)" Still Cruisin NYC in my SBM.
  • Working on my 96 Chevy S10/350 Conversion race truck. -- Syclone 2

·
Registered
455 Posts
I usually wait for about a minute or so then take off driving slow til the car completely warms up...this is Vancouver though and it never gets too cold. Lots of people have told me, like Brad said, that its bad for the engine to sit idle too long. With the engine nowadays, you should be able to just take off...

·
Registered
1,023 Posts

That's probably fine in Dallas, TX. But I don't think that's the case here in Minneapolis. I know each situation varies so I'll explain mine again.

On a day such as today, it is 11 degrees outside right at this very moment and -9 degrees with the windchill in Plymouth, Minnesota. I live *less than one mile* from Interstate 494. I will immediately get on this very busy interstate.

Are you suggesting it's okay to start up my car, immediately pull out of the garage and hop on this freeway and begin doing 65 m.p.h.??? That doesn't even seem right. And I seriously doubt there's a mechanic that is going to tell me to do so...

Perhaps I'm mistaken but it just doesn't sound like good logic to me. I'm not saying sit in your garage for half the day, but I don't think a few moments is going to damage in the engine in any way... if anything, when it's this cold, I would think it would be beneficial.

Mccarlin:

See what I mean about all the different opinions???
heh heh...

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
511 Posts
As the owner of a car with an oil temp guage, I can tell you that even here in Calif. it takes about 15 minutes for oil temp to reach 160+. Before that, the rings and bearings won't be to full temp.

Remember, on the new M5 they have a tach that gradually increases redline as the car warms up. In my older M5 it is a big no no to go full throttle or over 4000rpm until you have some good oil temp as the rings are not fully expanded.

------------------
S38
91 M5
Dinan springs and camber plates; Bilsteins and RD adj. bars
Dinan chip
18" BBS RC w/Yoko AVS Sports

·
Registered
116 Posts
the manual says allow the car ten seconds to warm up...and since lexus is such a "state of the art" machine..i take their word for it....yet.my actions dont..haha.i still warm it up for a minute or two..it was just the fact of having a honda accord before

nice
julian

------------------
InNoVaTE Don'T IMiTate
CE 2k1
Black dVs IS300
-Tanabe Racing Medallion Exhuast
-JDM Altezza Grill

·
Registered
257 Posts
i was just about to post something about oil temps being really more important than your (coolant) temperature gauge reading and how its really best to go easy till i saw S38's post.It really very true about engine wear and taking it easy vs. premature wear. Oil works best within its operating range...that's why there are specific weights of oils with enviornment-specific additive packages. Warm-up idling and warm-up style driving makes sense at the races or on the street to get the tires warmed...wheel bearing...gear oils...engine oils.....and for street driven cars...catalyitic converters....I don't care for what people are saying about the Lexus being a "precision" designed machine not needing engine breakin or warmup...Metal on Metal is the same...talk about precision, do you think they just hop in the Space Shuttle and go???

The only reason i could think of that mechanics would say NOT to idle cars is from an emmisions/carbo-tar viewpoint. Crap builds up more readily in the exhuast reducing the efficiency of your convertors. As a sidenote, APEXi has specific engine timers (turbo timers) for a cooldown-idle phase for non-turbo/non-supercharged cars.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree on this one. When I start my car I let it idle for about 30 seconds or so to get the oil ciculating (manual tranny on my car so no warming up there). Then I keep it under 3K rpm or so until it starts to warm up. TIP: Keep your climate control set on recirculate with the fan off while you're driving easily for that first few miles. This will keep more heat under the hood and the car will warm up faster (closes the damper that lets in fresh air). Trust me this WORKS! I can tell a big difference in warm up times while driving if there is no outside air coming in the car.

The converse of this works, too. If you can stand it on a hot day, or if you're racing in hot weather, as uncomfortable as it may be, if you put the climate control on fresh air and set the thermostat to full hot and the fan to full blast (with windows open of course hehe), it will help keep the engine cooler, which is especially important when racing.

------------------
Patrick
1989 Camry 5-speed
Mods: Suspension, intake, exhaust, stereo, interior
The ImportMania Performance Page
http://importspeed.net/importmania
"Because deep down, we all want a Type R sticker and coffee cans on our tailpipes." :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
Patrick89
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing