Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be the correct way to warm up a car?? I've been hearing too many theories.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think I read somewhere in my Toyota Camry manual that I should let the car warm up for at least 10 seconds every time I start it. I've also heard that warming up for any period longer than a minute is just a waste of fuel.

So what I do is let it idle for anywhere between 10-60 seconds, then drive passively until the thermometer hits the operating temperature.

--k

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
It used to be (way back when) that you really needed to warm up a car alot before everything was in spec, but these days cars are alot more tolerant of quick starts.

Personally, I think it is a good idea to "go easy" (no full throttle) on any car in the first few minutes.

If you have a turbo you should read up on letting it idle for a while before shutting it off.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
On the other Lexus cars, I've read that the engine computer limits the revs to ~4000 rpm on cold starts. After warming up, the engine can then freely rev.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys......That actually cleared up some questions I had......

So I guess the main thing is to have stable oil pressure before putting load on engine....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
dude
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing