Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should be the correct way to warm up a car?? I've been hearing too many theories.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think I read somewhere in my Toyota Camry manual that I should let the car warm up for at least 10 seconds every time I start it. I've also heard that warming up for any period longer than a minute is just a waste of fuel.

So what I do is let it idle for anywhere between 10-60 seconds, then drive passively until the thermometer hits the operating temperature.

--k

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
It used to be (way back when) that you really needed to warm up a car alot before everything was in spec, but these days cars are alot more tolerant of quick starts.

Personally, I think it is a good idea to "go easy" (no full throttle) on any car in the first few minutes.

If you have a turbo you should read up on letting it idle for a while before shutting it off.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
On the other Lexus cars, I've read that the engine computer limits the revs to ~4000 rpm on cold starts. After warming up, the engine can then freely rev.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys......That actually cleared up some questions I had......

So I guess the main thing is to have stable oil pressure before putting load on engine....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts