Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two Atlanta police officers were injured in a shootout last night. The injuries were not life threatening. They were shot trying to serve a search warrant for drugs And why does this happen? It happens because these drugs carry profit margins of up to 17,000% because of our drug laws. As many as 400,000 people die every year in this country from cigarettes. About 3,500 die from cocaine usage. You don’t hear about cops being shot serving search warrants for cigarettes. You also don’t hear about people getting shot trying to treat drug addicts.

Come on, let’s use our common sense here. Is this stupid war on drugs worth getting cops shot?

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
I challenge Aubie to produce an intellegent response to this

I'm goign to post on this in a bit...

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think it's worth it to fight the 'war on drugs', fighting the war doesn't mean that cops are being shot every time, it just means there are accidents occasionally. That is the risk THEY are taking by being cops. It's part of the job, it comes with the territory.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
The war on drugs is a farce. The actual problem with drugs is that they are direct threat to the moral fortitude of this countries conservative elite. Like ATLDave said....there is no other industry in the world that can turn a 17,000% profit. Combine that with the fact that America is full of poor, underprivaledged people that can't make it past the poverty line flipping burgers and collecting food stamps, and drugs will win out against the government every time. Not to mention, people just wanna get high; its human nature. The war of drugs is, and will remain, a loosing battle if faught on the current front. The way to win the war on drugs is through education and treatment.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
caren said:
I think it's worth it to fight the 'war on drugs', fighting the war doesn't mean that cops are being shot every time, it just means there are accidents occasionally. That is the risk THEY are taking by being cops. It's part of the job, it comes with the territory.
What about the innocent children that die in the crossfire? Is that just the risk they are taking by walking around or getting pushed in their stroller? Cops getting shot was just a recent example in Atlanta.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
ATLDave said:
What about the innocent children that die in the crossfire? Is that just the risk they are taking by walking around or getting pushed in their stroller? Cops getting shot was just a recent example in Atlanta.
That is a completely different scenario. I was speaking about cops being shot, not children.

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
Tell you what...legalize it and I assure you many more cops and innocent people will die from accidents and problems caused by drugged persons. Either driving, violence related, etc. Is the war on drugs worth fighting?. You bet your butt it is.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
Its a losing battle and most cops will tell you that. Does that mean we should stop? No. Things would be worse if we werent making the effort. Are there better ways to combat it, yes. Problem is, it takes money and politics to start new battles, and that takes time. Plus there is no simple answer, or someone would have done it.

Fact is cops die every day from many different aspects. So do many incoent people. Gangs, robbers, muderers, etc. There is no one answer, and no easy way out.

Our focus of education i think is off. All we do is try to scare kids into thinking its so bad, but teenagers dont comprehend that because all they see is "Billy did coke and hes fine..." We need to focus our education on everyone, and make it clear what this does to our soceity and also attack the lifestyles that make this seem okay. There also needs to be consideration given to "Why do people use drugs" not just, stop people from doing drugs...

my .02

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
ATLDave said:
caren said:
Do you think legalizing drugs we make everything alright?
You are one ignorant SOB. You are probably just some lame stoner that is too lazy to pick up a sack of chronic, so you want it legalized so you can go to the local min-mart, and pick up a bag of Fritos along with a pack of Js…

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
America tried to ban alcohol during Prohibition, and during that time organized crime grew into huge proportions and alcohol consumption even INCREASED.

Trovador said:
Tell you what...legalize it and I assure you many more cops and innocent people will die from accidents and problems caused by drugged persons. Either driving, violence related, etc. Is the war on drugs worth fighting?. You bet your butt it is.
Edit: Furthermore, if the gov't legalizes drugs, they can tax it, and the money can be used for education or rehabilitation programs. Legalization will drive drug prices lower, which would in turn reduce crime.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xjayx300 said:
ATLDave said:
caren said:
Do you think legalizing drugs we make everything alright?
You are one ignorant SOB. You are probably just some lame stoner that is too lazy to pick up a sack of chronic, so you want it legalized so you can go to the local min-mart, and pick up a bag of Fritos along with a pack of Js…
Absolutely not, I don't think we need to legalize drugs. Pot would be fine, but not hard drugs.

Personally, I don't even smoke weed except maybe once or twice a year. Just don't care for it, it makes me lazy.

I just think this "war" is ridiculous. Drug addiction is a disease. Why don't we just have a "war" on AIDS on lock them all up for life. How about a "war" on mental illness? We recognize these as diseases and treat them.

The money needs to be spent on education and treatment. I have a friend from high school that had a boyfriend that turned her onto H, he OD'd, and she is a complete mess now. Tried to kill herself twice. She can't get into a treatment program because they are about $100k/month and she doesn't have insurance. So she will just keep buying drugs until she kills herself too.

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
JW said:
America tried to ban alcohol during Prohibition, and during that time organized crime grew into huge proportions and alcohol consumption even INCREASED.

Trovador said:
Sure, you can have a small line of coke for red meats, and an opium pipe for white meats. Or just a few extasis pills for celebrating weddings and New Year. Drugs can be just a tad more potent than alcohol chief.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Trovador said:
This is happening already, but I guess you are right the problems would be amplified. I was at a stop light last month and a guy in an SUV was sparking up right next to me. :chill:

·
3,221 Posts
Here's more on "The War on Drugs"

Dec 9, 2002 9:19 am US/Pacific
(AP) (HOLLYWOOD) A seven-month probe that led to the seizure of more than 10,000 Ecstasy pills culminated in a raid early Sunday at a popular Hollywood nightclub where authorities allege designer drugs were openly sold at rave parties.

Five people were arrested on drug charges during the raid of Circus Disco, capping an undercover investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency and the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

During that time, alcohol control investigators bought Ecstasy, cocaine, marijuana and ketamine from 25 people. In six cases, the drug sales were either made or facilitated by nightclub employees, the state's alcohol control department said in a statement.

The pills that were seized over the course of the investigation had an estimated street value of more than $200,000, officials said.

Earlier this year, club owner Eugene LaPietra spearheaded an unsuccessful ballot measure to have Hollywood secede from the city of Los Angeles. On Sunday, LaPietra accused Mayor James Hahn, who campaigned against the measure, of orchestrating the raid as "political payback" for LaPietra's activism.

"I find it very suspect that 30 days after the election, this would happen to an operator who has never had any problems," he told KABC-TV, adding that his staff has cooperated with past drug investigations.

Investigators said they targeted Circus Disco following the September 2001 death of a 27-year-old man who collapsed on the dance floor and began having convulsions after taking Ecstasy he allegedly obtained at the nightclub.

The man's parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against LaPietra.

State officials said they had consulted one of the nation's leading experts on Ecstasy and raves. After visiting Circus Disco, the expert, Trinka D. Porrata, said the club was clearly hosting raves based on factors ranging from the sale of caffeinated "power" drinks that supposedly enhance Ecstasy's hallucination-inducing effects to the loud music and the presence of a "cooling off" area staffed by emergency medical technicians.

Although the club remained open Sunday night, the state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control plans to accuse Circus Disco of violating the terms of its liquor license for allowing "the conspicuous and blatant use of drugs," the agency said in a statement. The action could result in the club having its license to sell liquor suspended.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
Trovador said:
JW said:

Trovador said:
Sure, you can have a small line of coke for red meats, and an opium pipe for white meats. Or just a few extasis pills for celebrating weddings and New Year. Drugs can be just a tad more potent than alcohol chief.
So how about the policies concerning drugs overseas? Amsterdam?

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
HoustonGGP said:
Trovador said:
JW said:

Trovador said:
Amsterdam is hardly a good example for anything. Corruption galore. Have you been there?. I went there about 8 years ago with a friend of mine as part of a tour. We were freaked out with the prostitution and the amount of people offering us drugs on the street. The red line district is Sodoma and Gomorra.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
HoustonGGP said:
Trovador said:
JW said:

Trovador said:
My take on amsterdam (although only there a total of 5 days) was this:

No one gets up before noon, because everyone parties so damn much.

There was a lot more crime than in similar areas of large us cities. (ex club districts)

The street dealers will approach anyone, anytime. Its like trying to get away from the cellular salesmen at the mall.

The city was very dirty, although I have seen us cities just as bad.

These may not all be reflections of the tolerance of drugs over there, but they shine thru in my mind being related in one way or another.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
17 Participants
Trovador
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing