Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright first time poster i just found the message board a few days ago and damn i love this place :D . Neways i am only 18 going into my first year of college but i plan to get an is300 sometime in the spring. I will be going to UIC in chicago so i dont want a new car due to the crazy winters we can have up here.. neways i was curious what you guys think about buying a used is300?? i will be making about 25 dollars an hour for maybe 6 - 8 hours a day after i get out of school so i think i will be able to keep up with the payments on the car, and as long as im getting good grades my parents wont mind helping me a bit if i cant keep up with payments... but neways! i really wanna know if there is any reason not to buy a used is300? i was thinkin about getting a use 2001 manual trans not sure on color really but i think i would save alot of money this way... any opinions or experiences? thanks for any replies, and yeah i know im a newb :-?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i got my 2001 used from lexus tech selling it privately. $27k w/ 10k miles plus an extra set of tires. i dont think there's any problem buying a used IS just as long as you make sure the history is clean and its in good condition (and still under warranty).

-eric

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
2001 did not come in a manual. Otherwise there shouldn't be anything to worry about with a used IS. The engine is one of the strongest and most tunable engines out there. Build quality is high (its a Lexus/Toyota), and as long as there are no visible signs of neglect, the odds should be in your favor. If you are particular like me, go get it checked out to make sure it hasn't been in a wreck.

How much do you plan on spending?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn

well damn i kind of want a manual, so i guess i need an '02 model then? As to how much im looking to spend im not sure yet, it depends how much i save up over the school year. thanks for the replies on what you paid, i think i will stick to getting a used one :)

i have another question, i guess if i researched it a lil more i could figure it out if it is just diff picture angles or what but, sometimes it looks like some of the is300's have a longer back end from the backdoor to the trunk, and some look shorter. Is this true? Do different year models actually have that much of a noticible difference? im thinkin its just the picture angles but i just had to ask neways :D thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bartkat said:
I bought my 2002 used. Had 3 months now and it's doing great. Paid $24,800 for it.
sweet deal that sounds like a good price i think. how much price difference do you think will change in 8 - 10 months from now? stupid quesiton maybe but im just curious how the lexus depreciates, i know my dads lincoln LS depreciated like crazy so he sold it a 18 months later...

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
TrAnCe said:
bartkat said:
I bought my 2002 used. Had 3 months now and it's doing great. Paid $24,800 for it.
sweet deal that sounds like a good price i think. how much price difference do you think will change in 8 - 10 months from now? stupid quesiton maybe but im just curious how the lexus depreciates, i know my dads lincoln LS depreciated like crazy so he sold it a 18 months later...
The biggest depreciation is in the first year. I think the optomum time to buy or trade is on a three year old car.

You can go to www.edmunds.com and get wholesale and retail prices on different years and see how it works.

On the 2002's it seemed the price was directly related to the mileage. Really low miles were priced around 28,500. Mine had 18,000 but it was all road miles and the body and interior were in great shape. Only about 50% tread on the tires, though, so I'll need to get tires probably next spring.

Also the options like leather and NAV make a big differnce in the price.

The price of a 2002 in 10 months should be about the same as the price of a 2001 is now. You should be able to find one for around $22,000 by then.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: damn

TrAnCe said:
i have another question, i guess if i researched it a lil more i could figure it out if it is just diff picture angles or what but, sometimes it looks like some of the is300's have a longer back end from the backdoor to the trunk, and some look shorter. Is this true? Do different year models actually have that much of a noticible difference? im thinkin its just the picture angles but i just had to ask neways :D thanks
All model years are the same size. 01's did not have an armrest. I hated that so I got an 02...but that's not the only reason I got an 02. I also wanted a manual - I thought I could deal with the E-shift but then realized I will always want a stick. I ended up getting hooked up on the trade so I did it (didn't really plan on it the day I did it) but I was at the right place at the right time. Also 01 grills have 4 bars across while the 02 and above have three. Darker colored IS's after 01 have the black chrome tails which IMO look so much better (or less ricey). Let's see what else...

Manual equipped IS's are supposed to come with a sport-tuned suspensions (stiffer springs and I def felt the difference). 01's did not have front side airbags (located in the pillar by the windshield).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well then it sounds like the '02 is the way to go :D thanks for the info rllis300 very informative and helpful

·
Registered
30 Posts
what are the differences between the 02 and 03 IS then?

i was debating between a new or used one as well but most of the used ones i found are priced around $28k. if i wanted anything lower, the mileage was just too much so i was thinking a new one would be a good choice.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
lilbbyboi said:
what are the differences between the 02 and 03 IS then?

i was debating between a new or used one as well but most of the used ones i found are priced around $28k. if i wanted anything lower, the mileage was just too much so i was thinking a new one would be a good choice.
Check this out lilbbyboi
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=133565121#133565121

·
8,880 Posts
If you were going to buy a new one, there is (was) a promotional financing rate. The difference in the payments between buying a used one and a new one may not be that much.

You don't have to drive it during winter. :eek: Just put it some place safe. :lol:

BTW, good call on getting a manual - it has far more control over e-shift.
P.S.
It is best to get snow tires/wheels for the white season. Never ever drive on non M/S rated tires on snow/ice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts