Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

I'm a big fan of the stock stereo. But I DO want to add to it.
I want to create a custom enclosure for the following area. see picture below.

What is this area called, and does anyone have any ideas on what I can use/do to create it.

Ideally, I want to be able to add a popout displayor something???don't know... any ideas?

·
Registered
512 Posts
i dont see any area anywhere

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i was going to make my cd area triple din...and run a 6.5" screen and throw a center channel under it and just move heated seat controls down...but ran out of funding so thats been halted...hahaha....

for now i use that area to hold my altoids....and i dont know if any fold out screen would clear the shift knob if you were to place it down there..

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
love the idea of a center speaker! that's awesome! would that be a wiring nightmare?

Good point about the shift knob, the display probably wouldn't fit anyways.

Any others?

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
happysmp said:
love the idea of a center speaker! that's awesome! would that be a wiring nightmare?
I wouldn't recommend a centre speaker. It will hurt imaging when listening to stereo music (unless you disable it during music playback). Even if you listen to a lot of properly encoded music (which I doubt) or watch DVDs, I wouldn't recommend it. Who knows where the soundwaves are going to be bouncing off of...

But it shouldn't be a wiring nightmare. With the right hardware (I am assuming you are re-doing the entire system), I couldn't see it being much more complex than an ordinary install.

happysmp said:
Any others?
What do you want to do? I wouldn't just add something for the sake of adding it.

Possible uses:

Tein EDFC
ECU Piggyback (eg. Apexi SAFCII)
Boost Controller or Wideband
Audio controller (EQ or something of that nature?)

How do you plan on making the custom enclosure? I'm curious because I need to do some work in my glovebox.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a centre speaker. It will hurt imaging when listening to stereo music (unless you disable it during music playback). Even if you listen to a lot of properly encoded music (which I doubt) or watch DVDs, I wouldn't recommend it.
if you have a high end system...center channels are great...thats why they even make 5.1 ready head units/center channel add ons...a lot of newer luxury cars already have center channels from the factory....

im waiting for double din alpine before i get to work on a center channel, my HU right now doesnt support 5.1

oh and another thing you can throw down low is a EQ....

·
forza italia
1,563 Posts
JAEohEN said:
if you have a high end system...center channels are great...thats why they even make 5.1 ready head units/center channel add ons...a lot of newer luxury cars already have center channels from the factory....

im waiting for double din alpine before i get to work on a center channel, my HU right now doesnt support 5.1
All I was saying was that IMO, I would rather not have a centre channel.

The fact that a lot of newer luxury cars have them is meaningless to me. Are there any factory cars with quality audio systems? Do any car manufacturers pay attention to things like staging and imaging? Or do they just try and rack up an "impressive" feature list?

If you want the center channel, by all means, go for it. For listening to music, it will always degrade the listening experience unless you disable it, or unless your source is properly mixed. Where are you going to find properly mixed music?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Are there any factory cars with quality audio systems?
by a lot of peoples standards...factory systems in g35s(bose) and lexus (mark levinsons) are beyond excellent...

its only idiots like me who demand more arent satisfied with stock and i know all factory is garbage....and i like center channels...and btw...it wouldnt be in use with music, like you said....only movies and video games.....

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you're using an Alpine AiNet head, I'd suggest the PXA-H701, which fully integrates 5.1. The PXA-H701 encodes dolby/dts, therefore your center channel is only used when playing 5.1 sources. The center channel isn't used when playing stereo sources.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here's to making the thread alive again,

I don't think anyone really knows what a center speaker will do to the acoustic dynamics of the car. Personally, I think it would sound awesome, but only if listening to something encoded in 5 channels which means you would need an upgraded sound system or carputer (I hate that term, Car PC it is).

I'd put a piggyback, guage or whatever in there but I have no FI...so there's no point.

What I really wanted was a flip up touch screen, connected to a computer (mac mini or otherwise). I like the OEM sound system and the way it looks in our cars. I think aftermarket flip screens or replacement screens look ...well,aftermarket.

Best of both worlds for me would be a flip up screen that tucks away when not in use...but again, I guess it's all up to the measurements.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
If you want a touch screen with an OEM look, take a look at the Alpine IVA-W200. It's 2-Din, touch screen, and allows you take advantage of the Alpine PXA-H701 audio processor, which has full 5.1 surround integration. It would fit nicely into your JDM kit. Furthermore, you don't need a carputer to get 5.1 surround in your car. Again, a well balanced and properly tuned center channel is great for 5.1 sources, but when you're playing mp3's, cd's, etc..., your center channel won't play - assuming of course you hook it up through an audio processor that contorls center channel output.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a center channel in my car (Alero)... it makes a difference belive it or not. and no it does not hurt it. just play with the volume for that channel. Thats what I did. I actually had to have it up all the way. The sytem I am working on now in the IS300 will definatly have another center channel. I'd put it where the map compartment would be but thats where I want to mount some guages in the future... TURBO BABY!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts