Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big (wide) can I go on the rear with the stock rims? Only have 8k on the street sled but the time is coming soon. I know I know - yes, I drive the car the way it was meant to be driven - that's why.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How big (wide) can I go on the rear with the stock rims? Only have 8k on the street sled but the time is coming soon. I know I know - yes, I drive the car the way it was meant to be driven - that's why.

265/35/19 or 275/35/19

depending on the tire... If ya stick with michelins I think 265 is the widest..

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can get a 275/30/19 on there, and yes that size is available with a PS2. It's a little shorter than the stock height however, but real close. A 25.6" OD vs a 26.0" OD.

Lou

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can get a 275/30/19 on there, and yes that size is available with a PS2. It's a little shorter than the stock height however, but real close. A 25.6" OD vs a 26.0" OD.

Lou
I'd go with a 275/30/19 if I were you. I just looked up the PS2 and it's 1lb lighter in the 275/30/19 size than the 255/35/19 OEM size. Go figure. Lighter and wider for more traction. Can't go wrong. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Surely this would be for cosmetic reasons right? There wouldn't be a traction or speed benefit would there?
not for cosmetic at all. wider tires will give more contact patch and hence, more traction. it is not going to change straight line speed much, but will improve cornering speed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
not for cosmetic at all. wider tires will give more contact patch and hence, more traction. it is not going to change straight line speed much, but will improve cornering speed.
Straight line speed would be quicker with the slightly shorter diameter tire, the lighter weight and of course with the contact patch being larger more grip out of the hole.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I'd go with a 275/30/19 if I were you. I just looked up the PS2 and it's 1lb lighter in the 275/30/19 size than the 255/35/19 OEM size. Go figure. Lighter and wider for more traction. Can't go wrong. :)

Would 275 rub? Do you think we would have to roll the fenders?

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is not my car, this is a pict from an old post last winter. A 275/30/19 on a stock wheel mounted in the rear. The owner said it did not rub. Based on this, When I change I think I will go with 245/35/19 in front and the 275/30/19 in back.

Lou

·
Registered
8 Posts
And induce a ton of understeer. It thats what you want by all means but there is alot more to it than just bigger tires and more traction. You will make a already understeering car even worse. You want to be as nutral as possible and 275's will not help that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
And induce a ton of understeer. It thats what you want by all means but there is alot more to it than just bigger tires and more traction. You will make a already understeering car even worse. You want to be as nutral as possible and 275's will not help that.
If you compensate with a wider tire (245/35/19) on the fronts you will not induce more understeer.

Lou

·
Banned
272 Posts
What aftermarket lugs are those in the pictures? I was under the impression by Javy and Joe Z that only OEM lugs would fit on OEM wheels?:suspiciou

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wouldn't wider rear and stock front create more oversteer?
You are of course correct. I was trying to answer jselig's post, and misread what he wrote. Modern cars have understeer designed in, because it's safer for the novice driver. Wider rear tires with stock fronts would exaggerate the understeer. Compensating with wider fronts tend to neutralize the exaggeration, and improve cornering.

Lou

Reactions: IS-F-I-Found

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
You are of course correct. I was trying to answer jselig's post, and misread what he wrote. Modern cars have understeer designed in, because it's safer for the novice driver. Wider rear tires with stock fronts would exaggerate the understeer. Compensating with wider fronts tend to neutralize the exaggeration, and improve cornering.

Lou
Wouldn't wider rear tires with stock fronts increase OVERsteer, therefor NOT esaggerate UNDERsteer? Sorry, I'm probably confusing myself now. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wouldn't wider rear tires with stock fronts increase OVERsteer, therefor NOT esaggerate UNDERsteer? Sorry, I'm probably confusing myself now. ;)

wider rear tires provides more traction in the rear so it will more likely to make front end loose traction before the rear, thus understeer. narrower rear tires makes front end relatively more sticky and thus cause rear end to loose traction earlier and oversteer. like Lou said, one can correct the understeer problem of wider rear tires by simultaneously widen front tires. another easy solution is to put stiffer rear stabilizer bar in the rear.

with VSD on and driving on street only, i do not think minor changes we make is going to affect handling of this car much.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
wider rear tires provides more traction in the rear so it will more likely to make front end loose traction before the rear, thus understeer. narrower rear tires makes front end relatively more sticky and thus cause rear end to loose traction earlier and oversteer. like Lou said, one can correct the understeer problem of wider rear tires by simultaneously widen front tires. another easy solution is to put stiffer rear stabilizer bar in the rear.

with VSD on and driving on street only, i do not think minor changes we make is going to affect handling of this car much.
Thx for the explanation... I guess I was thinking with a wider rear tire, when it DOES break lose it'll have more weight therefore keeping the car pushed out while heading into a corner, therefore making more oversteer. But I guess in general, a wider rear means less traction up front and: understeer, right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts