Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any news to share on how waitlists are lining up in your respective cities? Hard to get colors? Easy to get colors?

The lone DC area dealer I've spoken with says black and blue will be hard to find for a month or so, other colors may be available without a waitlist spot within the first month. Don't know whether the dealer is typical or not.

Some of theposts to this board (e.g., from the dealers in Monterey and Wisconsin) have left me wondering if there's much point in putting down a deposit rather than sitting back and waiting to see what happens, esp when the 330 comes out at the end of July.

I suppose having the "new new thing" for 1 to 2 months must have some value, but can Lexus really get MSRP when at least three of the cars principal competitors (Audi, BMW and Mercedes) are rolling out updated models within 6 months of one another, esp when the class leader is out just one month later?

What y'all think?

·
Registered
978 Posts
RacerX,
I'm from the DC area too and am currently on the waitlist at Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria. Even though I'm only at around #7 or #8, I'm still expecting to wait a few weeks at least for my first (and only) color choice, Spectra Blue Mica (as if you couldn't tell from my namesake). This is based around on the unofficial poll we had here on this web site that listed that 19% of people wanted this color YET Lexus is only delivering 7% in their initial shipments.

Which dealership did you talk to? If I were you, I would go ahead and put the deposit down since it's fully refundable. Otherwise, I think you'll probably have to wait a while to get the car and even longer to get the color and options that you want.

IMHO, if this car can live up to the hype it's generating, I think it should sell pretty well and allow Lexus to charge MSRP. In fact, eventually, they will hike up the price by 1%.

[This message has been edited by SpectraBlueIS300 (edited June 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Typical SF bay area wait list is current 10 to 20+ deep.

I think that Silver, Black, & White will be the colors that we see most, and that are easiest to get. The other colors will be more rare with blue very much in demand but hard to find.

Initial Color mix (including paint Code #) may be:
[ WESTERN REGION/EASTERN REGION ]
30%/30% (1C0) Millenium Silver
20%/18% (202) Black onyx
18%/14% (051) Diamond White Pearl
9%/ 7% (8M6) Spectra Blue Mica
8%/ 4% (3N3) Auburn Sky
7%/10% (576) Solar yellow
5%/ 3% (6Q7) Imperial Jade Mica
3%/14% (1C6) Graphite Grey

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SpectraBlue

Why Alexandria? Why not Lexus of Silver Spring, Rockville, Annapolis, Owings Mill or even Chantilly?

TEG

Thanks for the color breakdown. I'm surprised to see so much grey and even surprised to see so much white.

·
Registered
57 Posts
TEG, how did you get that information? Are you an insider or know someone from the inside?

[From TEG:
Dealers sent me that info.
I am not connected with Lexus other than
asking dealers alot of questions.
]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited June 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
978 Posts
RacerX,
Even though I do live closer to some of those dealerships that you mentioned, I opted to go with Lexus of Alexandria because their deposit was $500 (half of what Rockville and Silver Spring was asking). And this was way back in November '99. Plus the salesman I talked to was very courteous and receptive. In fact, if anyone is looking for an IS 300 in the DC metro area, talk to Tom Lane at Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria.

One thing that disturbed back when I was calling around to place a deposit, was that Lexus of Silver Spring "warned" that they were going to markup the MSRP of the IS 300 for those who didn't put down a pre-sale deposit.

[This message has been edited by SpectraBlueIS300 (edited June 08, 2000).]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
ISBlain, they sure as hell better unless they want to eat into their holdback and pay interest on a floorplan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by ISBlain:
Yeah, but since the demand isn't really strong in Peoria, ILL. will they discount????
MSRP or close to it. Current Lexus owners within the dealer market area will receive a larger discount than out of market area customers. No over MSRP or keeping deposits though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wally,

I can understand that you might discount more for someone in the market area because you hope they'll come back as service customers.

Why would you give bigger discounts to current Lexus owners? Don't you want to incent new buyers to switch from BMW/Audi/Mercedes/etc.? At best, it seems self-defeating to tell owners of other cars you get a "worse" deal, esp since Lexus with the IS 300 is trying to reach out to buyers who wouldn't otherwise buy Lexus products.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
RacerX, Lexus invested over a billion dollars in the early 80's to develop a corporate blueprint that extends outward almost like McDonalds. Every dealership must adhere to homogeneous guidelines, and this discount comes from the corporate level, almost like an order.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Lexus spent over a billion dollars? Wow, I didn't know that. I wish Ford and GM would do the same in Japan. Then perhaps there won't be any trade deficit between Japan and the US... OK, betta stop before I start a political debate.

But really, I had to drive all the way across the city of Nagoya to the nearest Ford dealer to test drive a Mustang, and guess what, that dealer had gone out of business a month ealier. I guess I must wait for Ford to buy more Mazda stock and turn half the Mazda dealers into Ford dealers. If it ever happens...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by RacerX:
Wally,

I can understand that you might discount more for someone in the market area because you hope they'll come back as service customers.

Why would you give bigger discounts to current Lexus owners? Don't you want to incent new buyers to switch from
BMW/Audi/Mercedes/etc.? At best, it seems self-defeating to tell owners of other cars you get a "worse" deal, esp since Lexus with the IS 300 is trying to reach out to buyers who wouldn't otherwise buy Lexus products.
RacerX
It is not a penalty to competative make owners. It is a reward for current dealership customers. If you were buying your 3rd or 4th new Lexus from the same dealer, I am sure you would like special treatment. Lexus does have a owner loyalty program that gives an incentive to current Lexus owners who lease or purchase a new Lexus. Our dealership has decided that demand will be high for the new IS300. This will probably set the market price at or over MSRP at most dealers. Much like the situation with the RX300 SUV a while back. We feel that a small thank you discount to our current dealer customers is needed. I hope this clears up the thinking in our marketing stategy. The extra discount is small and limited to our current dealer(not Lexus) customers.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I was pretty sure that Lexus does not allow (or approve) of dealers selling vehicles over MSRP. I don't think you'd want Lexus to see your post.

Also, the $1000 Lexus Loyalty Certificate does not appear to apply towards the IS300.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Webmaster and Teg

Earlier in this topic SpectraBlueIS300 indicated that those without a pre-sale deposit at a dealer in his area the MSRP may increase.I know that Lexus has not hinted at a price increase.I am assuming that additional dealer markup is what was being implied. I don't agree with this practice, and it does not happen in our store. I was simply relating what my sixteen years of auto retail expeirience has shown me. When a new hot product hits the the market in high demand and short supply, prices tend to go up. Sometimes in the form of dealer installed options. Sometimes charging over MSRP. I do not know of any dealers charging over MSRP and hope I do not. Lexus has created a spirited car that can compete head to head with the segment leaders. Tainting its image with over MSRP prices would take the focus away from a great car. Like it has with the PT Cruiser,the new Bug at introduction, and many other new products. In talking with other Lexus dealers over the last month. MSRP is the price I keep hearing they plan on charging.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
>> ""I know that Lexus has not hinted at a price increase.""

Two dealers told me "point blank" to expect a 1% price increase in the fall...

>> ""When a new hot product hits the the market in high demand and short supply, prices tend to go up. Sometimes in the form of dealer installed options. Sometimes charging over MSRP.""

Yes, very true. Some dealers told me that Lexus strongly discourages pricing cars over list price. I don't know what (if any) recourse they have against a dealer, but I supposed that they could yank a franchise if things got way out of hand.

Letting demand drive prices through the roof can give a manufacturer a bad name. Back in the 80s, Porsche, Ferrari and Mercedes got a bit of a reputation (mostly unfounded) as being in the business of seling gold-plated cars to drug dealers and royalty with oil-money.

If a car is sold to the first customer at way over list price, that customer could get very pissed-off when they see the same car selling for alot less in a couple of months. It isn't nice to "prey" on people who get stars in their eyes when they see something new.

I still get a chuckle when I remember seeing the sticker on a Ferrari F40 at a dealership... It said right on the sticker:
Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price: $395,000
Additional Dealer Markup: $900,000
Final Price: $1,295,000

Well, if there were only a couple of them in the country at the time I suppose they might have actually found a buyer at that price!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Wally, I don't know how long you have been with the Lexus dealership, but apparently not very long. And yes you did insinuate that the RX 300 was sold over invoice. Bad move. "Our dealership has decided that demand will be high for the new IS300. This will probably
set the market price at or over MSRP at most dealers. Much like the situation with the RX300 SUV a while back." Reread the handouts, dude. You haven't endeared anyone to your dealership. Sounds like you have sold some American cars judging by your strategy and lack of attention to detail. Sorry if this is harsh but it upsets me that you are not in compliance with Lexus policy. I don't even work for the company. Shame on you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts