Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... First let me start of by saying that I love my IS.
I really havent seen that many IS's on the road. The dealerships say that they are moving them rather quickly, but I feel that thats just sales talk? I think that the IS forcasted sales fell below it's hype. So where does that leave us? Will they begin significant mark downs of the 2002 models 3 months after its debut?
How does that affect us if we wanna trade our IS for a 2002 or 2003 model?
What does that do to the value of our IS? I know Lexus hold's it's value well but what happens if the car doesnt get popular and sell?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
hmmmmmm good question. I think there are a lot of people still that don't know about the IS300. There are people that want a manual transmission. There are people that want Amenities like NAV, full leather interior, on board computer (like Audi & BMW), fold down seats. There are people that won't buy the first model year of a car... Those are a few possible reasons.... From the people I talk to on here, the majority of them haven't seen many IS300's around just like you.
Eric...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Yup! I see a lot of traffic here on 405 parking lot (stand-still, bumper to bumper traffic) and I'm on the carpool lane so I see a lot of cars to my right and not a one. So far, I've only seen about 7.

------------------
Anxiously waitin' for my '02 GGP manual...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
I think there's a simple answer - there's too much competition now in the compact sedan market - BMW 3 series, Audi A4, IS300, Acura CL/TL (not compact but a competitor), MB C class, Volvo S60, upcoming Jag X-Type.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
I think there's a simple answer - there's too much competition now in the compact sedan market - BMW 3 series, Audi A4, IS300, Acura CL/TL (not compact but a competitor), MB C class, Volvo S60, upcoming Jag X-Type.
My answer involves items that the competition has available...
Eric...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,061 Posts
Isdisisdat: Well, you've seen more on the road that I have (seen only three others besides mine). Must be more young people with money floating around the East Side.

For those outside WA, the "East Side" is the Kirkland/Bellevue/Issaquah corridor along I405 on the East Side of Lake Washington across from Seattle (you know, Microsoft's neighbourhood).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
Not seeing many on the road does NOT equate to poor sales. Stating the obvious: the car is in its first model year and has been for sale for only 5 months. It's perfectly logical that it could be "selling well" but still not that many on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts
Good point, CC. Lexus has already sold 9300+ through September. Isnt that already exceeding their goal of 9000 for calendar year 2000?

Justy
99 328i

Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Not seeing many on the road does NOT equate to poor sales. Stating the obvious: the car is in its first model year and has been for sale for only 5 months. It's perfectly logical that it could be "selling well" but still not that many on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
Car volumes usually peak during their 2nd model year. The 1st year production is deliberately low so they can work out the kinks in the factory.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,107 Posts
Eric, I think all those things you pointed out are true, but I don't think they'll account for that many sales even if Lexus offers some of those things. I think there's too much strong competition for all these compact sports sedans to succeed, some of them must fail, and I think the IS300 might be one of them - a mediocre, not hot seller. The Saab 9-3 is a disaster, the Acura CL is already failing, the Volvo S60 will probably not sell too well, leaving the 3 series, Audi A4, and maybe the new Jaguar, as the hot sellers. It'll get worse when the RWD sedans from Mazda, Nissan, and Honda come out, my guess is 2 of those 3 will also fail. But while this sucks for automakers, this is all great for consumers, you'll get a great car at a great discount, that's relatively rare.

Originally posted by EricK:
hmmmmmm good question. I think there are a lot of people still that don't know about the IS300. There are people that want a manual transmission. There are people that want Amenities like NAV, full leather interior, on board computer (like Audi & BMW), fold down seats. There are people that won't buy the first model year of a car... Those are a few possible reasons.... From the people I talk to on here, the majority of them haven't seen many IS300's around just like you.
Eric...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
isdisisdat, SeattleShiela,
You guys ever see a korean kid driving a SBM on 405... dats me.

Well, I'm young, but I don't have money floating around...
And I don't work for Microsoft either. But I do work in Kirkland, and a few weeks back when I was going out to lunch at Wing Dome I saw a white, black, and yellow IS300 all in one drive. whoa... dat was pretty cool. It's funny tho... everytime one of my friends see an IS parked or on the road, they tell me about it... with a grin on their face (suggesting my car is a dime a dozen now). Funny thing is... it's not a Ferrari, so they should see them around.
(Oh, and I see dis dude in a red F355 Spyder all the time rollin' to Tully's... dayam!)

Originally posted by SeattleSheila:
Isdisisdat: Well, you've seen more on the road that I have (seen only three others besides mine). Must be more young people with money floating around the East Side.

For those outside WA, the "East Side" is the Kirkland/Bellevue/Issaquah corridor along I405 on the East Side of Lake Washington across from Seattle (you know, Microsoft's neighbourhood).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chiphead.... I dont see how that can be. I mean the IS300 has been an Altezza since 98? I think they would have ironed out a lot of bugs by now? Japan spec or not. What it all boils down to for me is "WILL I BE ABLE TO PURCHASE A 2002/3 IS300 FULLY LOADED NAV AN ALL, WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHITSLES" FOR bout $3000 under MSRP"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
i see two or more IS's every single day. i love in southern cali and it seems like the hype for this car is unbelievable. i only drive arond for 15-30 minutes tops and i'm almost guaranteed to see one. on another note, the last time i drove by south bay lexus they had 5-6 IS's waiting to be sold. maybe it's slowing down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I was in Bellevue Last week and saw a silver IS300 while on my way to an interview. I saw this car on I believe Bellevue Way RD? That makes only 5 total that I have seen including mine. Seen three where I live in AL, one in Dallas, and one in Bellevue. Also for all you Seattle people can you give me some feed back on how you like living in this area? Trying to decide if I want to move out there.

THanks,

------------------
Russell
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey Pearl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Russell,

Luv it out here, too much traffic at times, but if you travel 1/2 an hour out of town there are some great roads to drive. One of C&D favorite road trips is in washington. Housing is getting more expensive, but not anything compared to SF. Scenery is f-in gorgeous. The rain might piss you off, but New York actually gets more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,476 Posts
Is it me? .....or... As the new GS300/400 made its debut in fall 1997, I starting seeing MORE of them around in the same few months time the IS300 has been out.... I hope that wasn't confusing...
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 08, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,250 Posts
don't know about that erick but to date i've seen one gs430 and plenty of gs400s. il ove the current gen look, if i was in the market for that type of car i'd go for it,.

Originally posted by EricK:
Is it me? .....or... As the new GS300/400 made its debut in fall 1997, I starting seeing MORE of them around in the same few months time the IS300 has been out.... I hope that wasn't confusing...
Eric...

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited November 08, 2000).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Russell,

Living out here is great. I happen to like rain... it clears out the pollutants in the air and makes for a great smelling day after.
Oh yeah, how did your interview go... did you get a chance to see any of the places I mentioned to you a few weeks ago? Well, the club scene isn't great... sux compared to LA or NY... but if you're here to work and enjoy the scenery, you can't beat the Puget Sound. Remember: no state income tax.

Black300, can't say I saw your car yet. If I did, I'd definitely notice and remember it. Coo, hope to see you around.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top