Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally, that's the first thing that I noticed that I liked about the car so much..I was reading the Car and driver comparison test, and they said the dash was confusing to look at..is this true? I love the look, very unique, don't see why it would be confusing to look at..
Ed

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think it's original and I actually kinda dig it. It does take a bit getting used to, but once you do, it adds a bit of "flair" to the console...

Scott.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing i didn't like about the dash was on top of the stereo and HVAC controls..the plasticy console..looked and felt cheap IMO...we should send some letters to Lexus and get them to integrate tha Navi system from the euro spec version..
Ed

------------------
1999 TL Non/Nav, Satin Silver/Ebony, Comptech Springs,Comptech Exhaust, Inspire tails, Air filter, Guy Smiley as my Co-driver...many many more..
1999 Miata Touring, RB springs, Koni adjustables, RB intake, RB roll bar, BBS RV 16x7 on 225/40/16 Sp9000's, Kickin' sound system, soon to have headers and BSP dual exhaust..Click here to see

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like it - I just wish the tach was on the other side and had more swing to it (i.e. 270 degrees instead of about 165 degrees).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Had no problems whatsoever. I think it is very stylish. I am actually having withdrwal problems when I drive other cars with the regular styles.

Like cardinal said,

"*unique* design which attracts polar opposite opinions?"

People have no opinions on conservative designs that have been in the market for some time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well... somebody had to do it so I'll offer the dissenting opinion.

I guess from an artistic point of view I have to give them credit. I do have a few things I don't like about it.

1 - Tach should be larger and all gauges should be distinct from the speedo. Admitted it is an automatic and I don't really need the tach.

2 - The gear select quadrant (or whatever we should call it) seems inconsistent (technology wise) with the rest of the instrument cluster.

3 - Gauge selection - MPG gauge - are you serious.

All that aside - I really do like the car. It may not fit exactly what I wanted in every category, but it came closer than anything else I looked at and when you consider the price it won hands down.

Terry - happy but I still have the right to complain a little - right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I have to admit, I for one do not like it, and neither does my wife. That sucks, because we have been considering for a long time to get her this car, and as long as she doesn't like the inside we won't get it.

I know it matches, but I also don't like the notches on the climate control either. Sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think the dash is perfect.. functional and stylish. I honestly don't see how it could be confusing to look at, except that it's different than normal, but it takes less than a minute to become accustomed to.

It seemed to me that the car magazine's reporters were looking for things to criticize on the car. They are having more and more trouble separating fact from opinion.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
car&driver, automobiles, etc. are just lil pussies..always complaining. I HAVE NO PROBLEM READING ANY OF THE METERS IN MY CAR. i think its a unique feature and everyone who gets in my car always compliments about it

------------------
Solar Yellow/Black IS300

·
Registered
78 Posts
i actually like the look of the dash, even the gauges. The only thing i dont' liek are those "charecter" lines on the door panels and atop the dash it makes it look kinda busy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
One of the reason I brought the car is I like the way the dash looks. Yes, it take a little while for me to get used to it. But now, I have no problem what so ever.

Remind me when I was a kid, riding a bike with only 2 wheels was hard. But hey, I would rather learn how to ride and enjoy it than adding two more wheels.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My thoughts exactly.

Originally posted by Bean:
One of the reason I brought the car is I like the way the dash looks. Yes, it take a little while for me to get used to it. But now, I have no problem what so ever.

Remind me when I was a kid, riding a bike with only 2 wheels was hard. But hey, I would rather learn how to ride and enjoy it than adding two more wheels.

------------------
K.P.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I think I read in one of those articles that they found it confusing because the numbers around the speedo go with the curve of it and go kinda upside down. Instead of all the other cars that have the numbers staying straight up and down. Whatever. I don't find it confusing at all and I like it. They are just nit-picking.

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
I don't know what's so confusing to look at. These are probably the same people that don't know how to punch a right hole on a ballot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i love uniqueness in a car so i think i would like the dash in the is300...

however, on a manual, i think i would like a larger and more distinct looking tach- i wonder if lexus will cahnge it for the manual edition?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Originally posted by hurricane:
I like it - I just wish the tach was on the other side and had more swing to it (i.e. 270 degrees instead of about 165 degrees).
You can actually get a custom dash from TRD that has the tachometer where our speedometer is, and the speedometer is on the left side....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts