Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Wait. Didnt you already buy a PNP harness off another member? Why would you need a pro to install it? Its PNP. Just plug it in and secure the EMU under the dash.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Wait. Didnt you already buy a PNP harness off another member? Why would you need a pro to install it? Its PNP. Just plug it in and secure the EMU under the dash.
I meant PNP, not PLP. I eduted it :blush:

I didnt know if I needed to tune it right away.
I am gonna do it myself, if the EMU doesnt need to be tuned after the install.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I dont remember everything that the Greddy units control but for the Apex'i fuel controller you could just install and go. All it does is take an input signal from stock sensors, adjust them with the tuned in settings, and send out the corrected signal to the stock ECU. So basically no tune means no adjustment, which means stock settings. I would assume that the E-manage works the same, atleast for its fuel control functions.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the hardest part installing the Emanage. is getting the plugs through the firewall. that was a bitch when i did it. and you dont have to tune it you can just leave everything at zero. or theres some base maps rolling around on isf.

·
5,207 Posts
The EMU is the same as the other units, if you install it and leave it alone all the adjustments are zeroed out and you're just running at stock settings. If you get a PNP harness its as simple as matching plugs, otherwise its cutting and splicing in the wiring harness, which if you take your time and are careful shouldn't be hard, but does mess up your stock harness.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
If you get a PNP harness its as simple as matching plugs, otherwise its cutting and splicing in the wiring harness, which if you take your time and are careful shouldn't be hard, but does mess up your stock harness.
Eh... its a bit harder than you think. Splicing and soldering isnt hard... as long as you have enough wire to work with. The wiring harnes is kinda crammed in there and the wires get a little stiff and greasy from age. There wasnt alot of wire to work with and I kept getting hand cramps trying to hold the wires, solder, and soldering iron. Plus either the iron sucked or the wires werent very good at conducting heat because some just didnt want to melt the solder. The electrical tape around the wires from the factory was pretty dirty and not holding together well anymore. When I remove the fuel contoller I'm just going to resolder the harnes back together and get a boomslang extension harness to cut into instead of the actual OEM harness. I wish I had known about those in the firstplace. That would have saved alot of time and frustration.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think we need a DIY install day. I'll be happy to set things up but I don't have any room to host it.

Anyone have a nice flat driveway & garage, and space for a couple more cars to park??

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
you know I'd drive up for that, that's where I did my suspension. Unless you want a bunch of IS'ers on your couch and floor I don't think anyone else will.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Auto Hobby Shop on base when I get back? lol
On McChord AFB, they have a public garage and tools you can use. But I dont know if civilians can use the facility.
Is this the same thing your talking aobut, or is it really a Auto Shop?

I think we need a DIY install day. I'll be happy to set things up but I don't have any room to host it.

Anyone have a nice flat driveway & garage, and space for a couple more cars to park??
DIY install day would be great. Whats the guesstimated time of installation of a EMU w/PNP harness?

I have a flat driveway.
The garage is full of junk.
Space for cars? How many cars?

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
the hardest part installing the Emanage. is getting the plugs through the firewall. that was a bitch when i did it. and you dont have to tune it you can just leave everything at zero. or theres some base maps rolling around on isf.
Where is this hole in the firewall?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
^^Yeah, same thing. A public shop. I think guests are allowed to use it. Probably depends on how many though.

I believe you'll either have to make your own hole or pull one of those rubber boots off that seals the existing wires going throught the fire wall.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I'd be down to host, and have room, but if you're at all familiar with my "My family hates my car", you'll know that I live with my parents (fun...), as well as a bunch of other random things about me. Soooo basically probably not the best place, however I could possibly supply some tools if need be. I'd like to come more just to watch and learn. Actually it depends on what I've rounded up by that point. We'll see.

By the way I was being super LAZY earlier and have since went to the Kito website and what not.:)

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Pics are nice :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd recommend a few of my friends. They're ASE certified Toyota master techs. In addition, they do quite a bit of sidework with access to private shops with lifts, etc... They do everything from aftermarket installs to maintenance. Since I'm a Nissan guy, I've referred alot of non-Toyota/Lexus vehicles to them as well, for everything from coilovers, BBK, exhausts, to FI and tuning.

They do great work for far less than any shop would charge. Just shoot me a PM if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Triple8Sol- hook it up man, talk to your friends and see if one would like to host an install day for us. We can definatly feed and beer them and they might get some residual business out of it too.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Hook it up Triple8Sol :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you're interested in anything specific, just shoot me a PM or email with what you're looking to have done, and on what car. The more details you provide, the more accurate the quote will be. I'll respond once they get back to me.

They already have a constant stream of sidejobs, so you'd have to schedule time with them individually. Once you have the parts in hand or at least on the way, just let me know, and I'll put you in touch with them directly.

I get nothing out of this...just the satisfaction of sending more business their way, and hooking up fellow enthusiasts.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.