Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i was on my way home tonight and my w58 5speed tranny did somethin really weird, i was in 4th on cruise and my rpm started rapping out.. i took cruise off and gave about 50% throttle and the revs went high but the car wasn't really speeding up.. my 1 2 and 3 are fine, it only happens in 4 and 5... what could be causing this problem?? god i hoping its only the clutch.... some input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
i dunno, it sounds like the clutch except that 1,2, and 3 are geared shorter and should be slipping more than 4 and 5. i'm not sure why they aren't. thats the only thing that keeps me from thinking its the clutch. i know when my clutch went out, 3rd gear was the first to start slipping.

·
Registered
608 Posts
i dunno, it sounds like the clutch except that 1,2, and 3 are geared shorter and should be slipping more than 4 and 5. i'm not sure why they aren't. thats the only thing that keeps me from thinking its the clutch. i know when my clutch went out, 3rd gear was the first to start slipping.
There is actually more of a load at higher speeds, hence thats why its slipping in 4th and 5th.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is actually more of a load at higher speeds, hence thats why its slipping in 4th and 5th.
X2

The higher gearing gives more resistance, hence slips in 4th and 5th.

How many miles ??

When clutch wears out the center plate its designed to hit the rivets first on the pressure plate side, and the friction lining on the flywheel side still has some life left.
that gives you 1/2 holding power, so you can drive home. Also saves the flywheel.

Hence you, I and another forum member all have slipping in 4th and 5th.

I was going to check the slave cylinder to make sure it was not the problem but haven't got to it yet.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
^
Yes and No.
Or a definite "Maybe"
My door plate says W55, and a supra friend says the W58 holds over 500 hp vs 325 for the W55 ( I got this from this forum)
So if W is the series
First 5 is 5 speed
Whats the 5 and 8 ?

note 325 *8/5 =.....520 !!!!!
So what will a W59 hold ???????

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
There is no maybe the is300 has a w55 transmission good for about 350hp
sc300 and n/a supra came with a w58 good for about 400-450hp
these numbers depend on driving style but its not going to reliably hold over 500
I hope the w59 was a joke

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is no maybe the is300 has a w55 transmission good for about 350hp
sc300 and n/a supra came with a w58 good for about 400-450hp
these numbers depend on driving style but its not going to reliably hold over 500
I hope the w59 was a joke
I read on here that the w55 varies between 300 and 350 HP point when the breaking glass sound occurs. i averaged to get 325.
My friends supra puts down I believe 520 I will have to check, and he maintains the W58 will hold over 500 BWHP reasonably reliably, and they are cheap !! His words not mine

He also told me there was a W59, and I checked, there is !!!! No joke !!!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
yes my friend is running 520 on his supra !!
His opinion the W58 holds up at 500 HP so long as you don't drag strip them
here is the quote.

"I was running around 520whp to my W58 at the Houston road course with 21psi haha "

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I ment joke as far as practical application on our cars might as well go r154 for 5 speed that can handle power. and everyone blows w58's at around 400 some last longer than others.
your friend either
1. doesnt have 520 hp
2. babies it
3. is magic
Any links to info on his car?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
His car is light, R154 weighs more, and is a pig to drive with.
From memory it weighs about 2400 lbs, MkIII supra hard top.
Sorry don't have any links but will ask. He is very active in the supra forums.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.