Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well- here goes:

I have located an r154 tranny that I'm picking up, and I have a 1JZ bell housing on the way from Japan. I still need to get an mk3 master cylinder and fork assembly, clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate, measure for a driveshaft, tranny mount, shifter relocation, etc.

SO, in the meantime, I'm swapping in a w58 from a mk4 N/A supra. The gears are a LITTLE longer with the stock rear end, and while in THEORY it is the same tranny as our w55 but with different gearing, in PRACTICE there are MANY sc300 and mk4 NA-T guys running around with over 400-500rwhp on stock trannies. True, some have blown their trannies, but many have not. Pretty much everyone is blowing their w55s, with some exceptions.

The w58 will be in this sunday. I can reuse my rps pressure plate and clutch, driveshaft, short shifter and linkage, etc. the tranny casing is the EXACT SAME as the w55. PLUS they are abundant and cheap, seeing as they were in the mk3 n/a supra from 87-92, the n/a mk4 supra from 93-98, and the sc300 from 92-97. To solve the gearing problem I may put in a 4.1 rear end LSD. We'll see how bad the longer gearing is.

This is just a temporary swap to tide me over until I can get my r154 ready to install. Finding the bell housing was the hardest part, but it's en route. I got it used from japan for $225 +shipping. Another guy I found can get it new from Japan for $500 shipped anywhere in the continental US. Both are great prices. Contact me if you need help locating one for a swap.

To all who have helped me and sent me best wishes, thank you. I have reasearched up the ASS, and found some GREAT online websites, including:
www.drivetrain.com,

www.reanimotion.com/ToyMods/techdata.htm, just to mention a couple.

www.Supraforums.com also has a lot of info- you want to look at the 1JZ (JDM engine) swap for the mk3, and can find lots of info on how to make the r154 tranny mate up to the JZ bolt pattern.

Hope this helps out some people!

Car should be back on the road this weekend!

-Chris[/url]
 

·
Penetration Specialist
Joined
·
23,688 Posts
Awesome post! Thanks for doing all the legwork (I'm sure your company loved all your extra hard work the past few days)...I may be right behind you with that tranny upgrade!! :-?

Good luck and see ya this afternoon when i pick your broke ass up :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Good luck with everything chris hope everything works out man

Thanks for all the good info on the Tranny issue.

Justin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,523 Posts
I thought the old SC300's were equipped with W57's...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
You may actually like the taller gearing as it will keep you in boost longer. At the track, I have to shift in to 5th right at the end of the 1/4 mile. It would be nice to stay in gear longer, my traps might be a little bit higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maximus said:
So what will the cost end up being for the W58 swap?
Well, I purchased a w58 today-

14,000 miles, yes you heard right FOURTEEN THOUSAND MILES.

from a '95 Supra SE, delivered to my door from Fredrick, MD.

120 day money back warrantee against failure.

Cost of tranny shipped to my door- $500

FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

It is a DIRECT BOLT IN, using my w55 bell housing, my existing clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, drive shaft, shift linkage, tranny mount, and master cylinder.

I bought a new throwout bearing, $90.

I will also need to look over the tranny and fill it with new gear oil.

Total cost of w58 swap- ~$600 plus labor (my own),

SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS, FOLKS!

-Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,858 Posts
trekster said:
You may actually like the taller gearing as it will keep you in boost longer. At the track, I have to shift in to 5th right at the end of the 1/4 mile. It would be nice to stay in gear longer, my traps might be a little bit higher.
Umm, you are out of luck there, the fourth gear on both trannies is 1:1 so regardless you will have to shift to 5th. To solve that problem you will need a taller rear ratio or increase your redline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,157 Posts
increase your overall tire diameter



trekster said:
You may actually like the taller gearing as it will keep you in boost longer. At the track, I have to shift in to 5th right at the end of the 1/4 mile. It would be nice to stay in gear longer, my traps might be a little bit higher.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,548 Posts
Swift Racing Technologies said:
trekster said:
You may actually like the taller gearing as it will keep you in boost longer. At the track, I have to shift in to 5th right at the end of the 1/4 mile. It would be nice to stay in gear longer, my traps might be a little bit higher.
Umm, you are out of luck there, the fourth gear on both trannies is 1:1 so regardless you will have to shift to 5th. To solve that problem you will need a taller rear ratio or increase your redline.
what if gears 1-3 are longer?? wouldn't that mean he shifts into 4th later? thus letting him stay in 4th through the finish line???

maybe??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kanine21 said:
Swift Racing Technologies said:
trekster said:
You may actually like the taller gearing as it will keep you in boost longer. At the track, I have to shift in to 5th right at the end of the 1/4 mile. It would be nice to stay in gear longer, my traps might be a little bit higher.
Umm, you are out of luck there, the fourth gear on both trannies is 1:1 so regardless you will have to shift to 5th. To solve that problem you will need a taller rear ratio or increase your redline.
what if gears 1-3 are longer?? wouldn't that mean he shifts into 4th later? thus letting him stay in 4th through the finish line???

maybe??
Well, 4th is still 1:1, so with a 6500rpm redline, he will still hit 130mph or so at the top of 4th, if he's trapping over 130 and doesn't increase his redline, he's still SOL. I find it hard to believe, however, that there is an IS out there that traps over 130mph on the stock w55 tranny that we don't know about. Something sounds off... however, if he is trapping THAT fast on a stock w55, :eek: More power to ya, bro!

I think with 444rwhp, you should be trapping in the teens, tho, no? You shouldn't need to shift into unless you're shifting too early- don't waste the extra shift and just run 4th gear out to redline, you will hurt yourself more by doing the extra shift than the dropoff of torque in the upper rpms will.

-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,739 Posts
doublins said:
Kanine21 said:
Swift Racing Technologies said:
trekster said:
You may actually like the taller gearing as it will keep you in boost longer. At the track, I have to shift in to 5th right at the end of the 1/4 mile. It would be nice to stay in gear longer, my traps might be a little bit higher.
Umm, you are out of luck there, the fourth gear on both trannies is 1:1 so regardless you will have to shift to 5th. To solve that problem you will need a taller rear ratio or increase your redline.
what if gears 1-3 are longer?? wouldn't that mean he shifts into 4th later? thus letting him stay in 4th through the finish line???

maybe??
Well, 4th is still 1:1, so with a 6500rpm redline, he will still hit 130mph or so at the top of 4th, if he's trapping over 130 and doesn't increase his redline, he's still SOL. I find it hard to believe, however, that there is an IS out there that traps over 130mph on the stock w55 tranny that we don't know about. Something sounds off... however, if he is trapping THAT fast on a stock w55, :eek: More power to ya, bro!

I think with 444rwhp, you should be trapping in the teens, tho, no? You shouldn't need to shift into unless you're shifting too early- don't waste the extra shift and just run 4th gear out to redline, you will hurt yourself more by doing the extra shift than the dropoff of torque in the upper rpms will.

-Chris
First of all - congrats on the tranny solution!! It'll be interesting to see how the W58 holds up.
btw, how's that one compare to the R154 as far as how much power it can hold?

On another note: Care to explain the statement 4th is 1:1?? I'm a TOTAL newb w/ this stuff... :oops:

thanks,
-Bryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bk9 said:
doublins said:
Kanine21 said:
Swift Racing Technologies said:
trekster said:
You may actually like the taller gearing as it will keep you in boost longer. At the track, I have to shift in to 5th right at the end of the 1/4 mile. It would be nice to stay in gear longer, my traps might be a little bit higher.
Umm, you are out of luck there, the fourth gear on both trannies is 1:1 so regardless you will have to shift to 5th. To solve that problem you will need a taller rear ratio or increase your redline.
what if gears 1-3 are longer?? wouldn't that mean he shifts into 4th later? thus letting him stay in 4th through the finish line???

maybe??
Well, 4th is still 1:1, so with a 6500rpm redline, he will still hit 130mph or so at the top of 4th, if he's trapping over 130 and doesn't increase his redline, he's still SOL. I find it hard to believe, however, that there is an IS out there that traps over 130mph on the stock w55 tranny that we don't know about. Something sounds off... however, if he is trapping THAT fast on a stock w55, :eek: More power to ya, bro!

I think with 444rwhp, you should be trapping in the teens, tho, no? You shouldn't need to shift into unless you're shifting too early- don't waste the extra shift and just run 4th gear out to redline, you will hurt yourself more by doing the extra shift than the dropoff of torque in the upper rpms will.

-Chris
First of all - congrats on the tranny solution!! It'll be interesting to see how the W58 holds up.
btw, how's that one compare to the R154 as far as how much power it can hold?

On another note: Care to explain the statement 4th is 1:1?? I'm a TOTAL newb w/ this stuff... :oops:

thanks,
-Bryan
That means the number of teeth on the input shaft gear and output shaft gear in 4th gear is the same (i.e. the ratio of teeth is 1:1), or rather, the input shaft and output shaft will spin at the same speed, thus making the difference in speed between the crankshaft and the axles entirely dependant on the rear end ratio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
So when you blow a tranny, what usually blows? Is it a gear that strips, or the drive shaft breaking or what? What is weak in the W55?


Did you find out why you stripped 3rd gear? You didn't seem to be going fast enough--only 40mph. So what caused it to blow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
stick said:
So when you blow a tranny, what usually blows? Is it a gear that strips, or the drive shaft breaking or what? What is weak in the W55?


Did you find out why you stripped 3rd gear? You didn't seem to be going fast enough--only 40mph. So what caused it to blow?
When I drained my tranny fluid, I found lots of metal pieces that to me look like gear teeth. Here is what I think happened-

True, I wasn't going fast, but I think the tranny was very ready to go, probably had a hairline fracture at the base of one of the gear teeth in third.

When I engaged third gear, it must have been oriented such that the weakened gear tooth was just coming into contact with the output shaft gear. The shock of the engagement probably gave it just the nudge it needed to break off, probably jamming the gear for a split second and causing the teeth to misalign, causing a chain reaction effect where all or many of the teeth on my third gear on the input shaft were sheared off.

The bits of metal then became lodged in other gears, namely 1st and 2nd, causing them to begin to break up. I immediately depressed my clutch as it happened and brought the car to a stop, probably allowing most of the metal fragments to settle to the bottom of the tranny before they could completely destroy all of my gears.

Thus, the car is "limpable", but VERY noisy, as third gear spins around with only some of its teeth, constantly creating a grinding noise that matched the engine rpm, which lets me know it's the input shaft gear that went. My transmission is in a world of hurt.

Now, I have yet to disassemble my tranny, or even look inside of it, this is ALL speculation, and I am HARDLY a tranny expert. This is all a figment of my imagination based on education guesses. Most certainly I will remove my casing to see what damage was really done when I swap it out, and I will report to you with the findings, if not the cause.

-Chris
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Top