Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am talking with a guy about picking up a W58. He has 2 of them and from the sounds of it they both came from running vehicles and shifted fine. One is from a 1993 Supra, and one is from a 1985 Supra. The only thing I have been able to find out is that in 1989 they switched from an Alloy to Steel sandwich plate. Other than that I am not sure what differences if any that there are. The 1985 tranny is $150, and the 1993 is $350. Im wondering if there is any reason not to go with the early supra tranny to save $200?

*BTW Im most likely going to look at them and buy one TODAY so fast responses are appreciated*

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
After looking around I think I will spring for the mkiv tranny, thanks guys.
So much bad info in this thread.

But I'm glad you coughed up the extra $200 (It's ONLY $200 for christ sakes)...

There are internal differences that lend the MKIV W58 much more strength than the MKIII W58. Including the steel sandwich plate (which is the only obvious external indicator) as well as higher strength larger bearings.

The MKIII tranny would be weaker than our steel sandwich place W55.

Only the MKIV W58 or SC300 W58 will do.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
So you're telling me a MKIII R154 won't fit a 2jz? :screwy:

you can mate these by getting a 1j bellhousing + clutch/pressure plate with a 7m flywheel.. i also think the driveshafts are different

edit: http://my.is/forums/f114/r154-swap-my-version-395218/
I was not speaking about the r154
I have an r154 off a jdm mkIII for my car
and no a 7m flywheel won't bolt up to the 2jz unless you can do magic

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here are a couple pictures he sent me. Looks like a steel sandwich plate. Anything i can do to check it out besides try to run it through the gears?, which wont tell me much. I wont have time to separate the case but I got him at $250 so not much can go wrong.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now im confused as hell, Will the 86.5 - 92 toyota supra non turbo w58 fit or no?
regardless if its stronger.
obv the bell housing for a 7m wont fit, but will the w55 bell bolt on?
all the threads ive been reading dont seem to mention the year.

thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
i had an mk3 w58, it will bolt, and it will work, but it will hold less, if not the same power as our junky w55.... I had some problems clearing the tailshaft housing, but somehow it eventually worked.... I think it slid on differently than the w55....

ANYWAYS, if you are replacing youre w55, get a w58 from a 93 and up toyota because it is stronger, and so much nicer.... And the clunking goes away!!!! I've had mine 2 years now, and I still love it...

·
Registered
346 Posts
so a good indicator of it being a worth while transmission would be the STEEL sandwich plate? (mk4) correct??

and the w55 bell hosing, tail shaft will allow it to bolt to the stock drive shaft.

Please tell me if this is true i have one pending!

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
i had an mk3 w58, it will bolt, and it will work, but it will hold less, if not the same power as our junky w55....
Our W55 is very closely related to the MKIV W58 - also known as the W58 HD - which mean it'll easily outhold the older alloy W58.

It's all been heresay, but I'd say the our W55 has very close if not the same holding power of the W58 HD.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
so a good indicator of it being a worth while transmission would be the STEEL sandwich plate? (mk4) correct??

and the w55 bell hosing, tail shaft will allow it to bolt to the stock drive shaft.

Please tell me if this is true i have one pending!
Yes, and yes.

There's also no more reason to crack open the W58 to change the speedo gear/sensor. You can modify a manual IS300 speedo to use the vehicle speed pulse from the ABS system instead of the transmission, similar to how the auto's are setup.

Reactions: Lextacyis3

·
Registered
346 Posts
just did the w58 swap over the weekend. Its so much more solid, shifter feels like a bolt action rifle, unlike the w55s drunken whore sloppiness. Gas mileage has improved. No more clunking.

Other guys say their car feels a little slower, i haven't felt the same way.

Changing over the tail shaft was simple, i figured it out without having to search.

i would absolutely recommend the transplant for anyone looking for a drive-ability upgrade. The supposed extra holding power is just a plus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.