Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already had my timing belt changed so I am wondering if you can replace the vvti cam gear without having to remove the timing belt. The car is a 2001 with about 99000 miles on it. The cam gear has NOT started to leak yet any ideas as to when this cam gear will start to leak?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I already had my timing belt changed so I am wondering if you can replace the vvti cam gear without having to remove the timing belt. The car is a 2001 with about 99000 miles on it. The cam gear has NOT started to leak yet any ideas as to when this cam gear will start to leak?
Its probably possible if you loosen the tensioner, but very difficult to do it that way.
Every car is different but I would say around 125K-150K is most common? Mine didn't leak till ~170K.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You do have to remove atleast half the belt ( both cam pulleys ) leave bottom half on.. Mark belt remove tensioner and go from there...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm going in for the 90k service on my 2004 IS and the shop is recommending replacing the VVTi gear and water pump at same time. I agree with the water pump, but first time hearing about the VVTi gear. Service manager says he often sees VVTi gears leaking on the old IS / GS and cheaper to replace with timing belt (save half the cost). Any thoughts or help?

·
Registered
611 Posts
mine leaked at around 100k.
In this case, I'll save you some money/time and agree with your mechanic. It's best to replace both to save on additional time spent going in there.

That's if you're gonna keep this car for the long run. If not, sell it now cuz that thing will leak and cost you a good amount of money.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If you're going to do the gear, I'd do the cam seals too which are right behind the gear.

Personally, I think the cam seals are far more likely to leak than the VVTI Gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts