Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m trying to rebuild a GE motor I recently bought. It’s gone ok thus far but I’m trying to get the head off and got to the Vvti cam and some dick head before me stripped the cam gear cover/head. I have a 14mm correct sized socket but it slips. Any tips on how to get the f’ing thing off?! I’m clearly replacing the vvti cam gear due to the current damage
Thanks in advance

·
4,280 Posts
The other way on a big easy out. Is hard to find. The other way I have done was. You grind a deep grove in it and pop it with a hammer and chisel. Or air hammer is what I use.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Could try grinding the bottom of the hex key flat and see if you can get it in far enough to grab on the bit at the bottom, might have to hammer it in a bit to make sure its at the bottom.

From memory its only an oil seal so "shouldnt" be too tight, might be able to use a hammer and punch/chisel or screwdriver to get it moving. I dont think it has enough depth for an easy out to work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd stay away from hammering it, could play hell with the cam bearings! Cutting wheel would work to get enough of it out of the way to get to the VVT-i gear bolt since you're going to toss it anyway. Why they tightened it so much is crazy, it's only supposed to be torqued to what 15 foot pounds or something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Late to the party,, but I would MIG tack weld a bolt face (after cutting it short) or trash socket or anything really that I have laying around so I could put a driver to it.
Like the other guy said you would want to watch your heat, just little tacks, and then let it cool between each one.

The upside is that heat even though it can damage, also helps with loosening as the surrounding area expands.
If you dont weld yourself get a friend who knows what their doing, and get some good beer, or offer to help them in kind.
I like doing small jobs for people because I know how hard it can be to source a metal guy to do small work at or below cost.

Good luck, that looks like garbage, I'd be pissed too. 👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts