Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. im driving to work this morning, and i rarely ever drive without music. I guess it's been one of those mornings? haha
Anyways, im maybe 1/3rd throttle, and as soon as i come to 4200rpm i hear the engine open up more as if there was a damn VTEC on the damn thing. I have never heard the VVT-i open up before on the 2J's, and i thought i would share, it's pretty damn cool sounding. haha

So ya, just for those of you curious as to what VVT-i does, or if you even notice it, try driving decently ( 1/3rd - 1/2 throttle) and listen to your motor after 4k RPM. pretty cool :)

K bye

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
uMMM vvt-i shifts the cam much sooner than that to generate peak torque and shifts through out the power band. Most likely what you heard is intake manifold resonation.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya not resonating sound at all. Serious opening up of valves for sure. ;) and when you are on the throttle at 1/3rd compared to full throttle, im sure the timing tells the VVT-i there is no need for opening up sooner for peak torque when it's not needed, compared to full throttle when it's assuming it's needed early in the band?

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
isn't VVTi continuous, unlike VVTLi which has the VTEC like switchover? something's not right..

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not sure. never really got into the valve timing thing. But i would assume a car computer is smart enough to figure out when it should and shouldnt be engaged for gas saving purposes? dunno.. could be wrong about the whole thing for sure, but i can usually tell what engine sounds are from a quick listen, and that sure did sound like an opening of something. Wasn't just a resonating sound that got louder, this is a sound that 'started' at a certain RPM.

Anyone care to shed some true light on this subject? i am now lost in the dark haha

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I think your mind is playing tricks on you.

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your mind is playing tricks on you.

it does that.. sometimes i cant even put the square block in the circle hole, but i don't know why... =/

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
i think it's more of the inline6 sound..... i have a joez intake and it makes a massive difference in sound over the stock intake..

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think it's more of the inline6 sound..... i have a joez intake and it makes a massive difference in sound over the stock intake..

it's not the intake lol i have SRT, intake sound is a different sound. maybe we should all go for a ride in my slutty beast. haha

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
okay man, you are local so let's go for a ride. hahahaa

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
serious man. i wanna know what this deal is. maybe its like.. trying to become a transformer at 4200rpm?? that would be sick tiiiight.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i think its sick tiiiiight

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Head rush
keep it going now
you know we get it right
we keep it flowing now
we're sick tight

Reactions: azn4life

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey you guys are using my term too much. dont over kill the sick tightness lol

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol its almost worthless now. i just wanna know if that is the VVT-i or not. I know its not the manifold, i know its not the intake, but wtffffffffffff

·
Banned
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.