Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I ended up doing the other method...it was easier and doesn't look bad at all.

I added another button next to my coin slot holder left of the steering wheel. I can snap a picture for you but it looks almost oem given that it's black. I still need to do some work with it though. I plan to dremel a hole in the plastic to wedge the button in there nicely. Right now it sits in crooked and not flush.

·
Banned
1,413 Posts
i ended up using a toggle, i could of used a button switch, but it was easier to just use a switch i already had, and drilled a hole into the blank next to the seat memory

and i did this about 4+ months ago, not a single problem

cut one end extended ran that end to one pole on toggle, extended other side, ran that to the other pole, done in under 15 minutes...

most time went towards mounting the toggle.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ugh someone throw me a bone here.

I'm looking in the drivers side junction box, I think I've located connector A1, but pin 4 is solid black for me, rather than the red/black described here. I snipeped the black one anyway and started the car - no VSC light shown :(

If it makes any difference, I'm on RHD and I'm using this diagram:

Relay

Which shows A1 as being just above a grey connector. Its got the right number of pins (7 bottom and 2+2 up top). There are no red/black cables on this connector tho.

·
Registered
882 Posts
OK so the LHD and RHD junction boxes are different by the looks of the witing diagrams. I cant figure out though what 1A Pin 4 = on RHD :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same problem and i cant seem to find any manuals that show what i need gah. Cut the what i belive was A1 pin 4 and it now shows ABS TRC and VSC all at the same time. Anyone have any diagrams for the RHD version?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Jimxms and I figured it out, you need to cut the ground white w/black stripe wire to the steering sensor only, and on RHD cars they have only one feed off the ECU-IG fuse which kills the skid module too(verses LHD cars where the power feed is split at the fuse). Check with jimxms to see where he cut it for I don't believe I still have the RHD wiring schematics in my PM's. Cutting power at the steering sensor does not disable ABS I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The connector indicated in the diagram is labeled "9" with a red circle, but is it not actually 7? As the connector would be shown as if your looking into it? I just don't want to cut something i shouldnt. And this is the driver side junction box on a LHD is300 correct?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
The connector indicated in the diagram is labeled "9" with a red circle, but is it not actually 7? As the connector would be shown as if your looking into it? I just don't want to cut something i shouldnt. And this is the driver side junction box on a LHD is300 correct?
I worked with Jim on his RHD car and as you can imagine the layout is different. On an '02+, you want to cut and switch the red/black stripe wire on connector 1A, pin 4. This cuts IG power to the steering sensor and the VSC buzzer. ABS will still work, traction control is completely disabled. Tokensolutions also makes a module that does this(I think). Either way, it's an easy mod and I have mine on a rocker switch. Drift away! Sorry for the sideways crappy pic, best I could do.

This is in the driver kick panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
That diagram is exactly what I was looking for, but it was nowhere to be found earlier, thanks for your response, the switch works perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
That diagram is exactly what I was looking for, but it was nowhere to be found earlier, thanks for your response, the switch works perfectly.
Remember for a switch or pushbutton, it will need to be a maintained switch so that power is cut to both items. An '01 might be in a different location, so if anyone needs that info, I can provide it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do you mean maintained switch?

What I used was a normally close momentary switch. If I hold the switch for two seconds vsc and trac lIghts come on and reset when ignition is cycled.

Edit: looked up maintained switch (one that stays in the last position it was placed?) and am unsure how this is necessary? The momentary switch Cuts power to the steering angle sensor and sends the control module into safe mode where the traction control and vsc are disabled, this only resets on next ignition cycle.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
What do you mean maintained switch?

What I used was a normally close momentary switch. If I hold the switch for two seconds vsc and trac lIghts come on and reset when ignition is cycled.
same thing as a toggle or rocker switch, so I used a maintained at the time. You want to keep power off of that pin. The OEM limited traction control off button is a momentary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What are the draw backs of a momentary switch? I rather prefer having the vsc come back on automatically after an ignition cycle. I have to make a conscious decision to turn it off that way.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
What are the draw backs of a momentary switch? I rather prefer having the vsc come back on automatically after an ignition cycle. I have to make a conscious decision to turn it off that way.
I never have to touch it after I turn it off:cool:

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
So when you get caught in sudden hazardous conditions how do you prepare for them?
you won't react in time to throw on traction control. I've done that mod but have also went back to stock. Same thing as hitting OEM traction control.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My '04 AS300 has the VSC and I too want it gone. This tread is GOLD, I will investigate the option to toggle VSC using the TRAC OFF button.. perhaps by 'resetting' the skid control ECU as Gery mentioned. This way it could be enabled w/o having to cycle the ignition. Has anyone done this?

61 - 80 of 112 Posts