Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*HELP!* Loss of power with PLP Vortech Supercharger.

Hello everyone.

Things have been going great with my PLP Vortech supercharger until just today. I noticed a drop in power (similar to stock) and a screeching sound when deep into the throttle. Needless to say, I haven't been deep in the throttle since. I've searched for boost leaks around the obvious areas (couplers, fuel line, oil line, etc) but not in great detail. I'll do that tomorrow when I have more light. My high level search yielded nothing. I also noticed that the whirring sound that usually eminates from the charger (at idle) seems to be gone. I don't know if that's because of a boost leak of some sort or if something is TU within the supercharger. When driving conservatively, the car runs fine. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks in advance!

-Mofo

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
i think u'r just used to that lvl of power already :wink: ... time to boost up more :crazy:

·
Premium Member
52,297 Posts
Since you heard that screeching noise, and since you no longer hear the whine, your impeller is probably not turning anymore. Not knowing more that what you have said, that's about all that can be said.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Your supercharger drive belt is slipping, it needs to be tightened or replaced. The gear ratio on a centrifugal supercharger is nutty, and requires a lot of belt tension not to slip.

That would explain the squealing and also power loss (belt not spinning SC, only slipping on the pulley).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to the big brains!

AltezzaPete & Bartkat...

Those are awesome hypothesis'!! Makes a whole lot of sense! Dots on the way. I'm going to try swapping out the belt ASAP. I'll keep you posted.

-Mofo

On a side note... I freakin' love this community!! Hide your Bud lites. :D

·
Premium Member
52,297 Posts
Re: Thanks to the big brains!

MofoNinja said:
AltezzaPete & Bartkat...

Those are awesome hypothesis'!! Makes a whole lot of sense! Dots on the way. I'm going to try swapping out the belt ASAP. I'll keep you posted.

-Mofo

On a side note... I freakin' love this community!! Hide your Bud lites. :D
You might just put some belt dressing on it for long enough to see what's going on.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
I'm guessing this is the PLP Vortech Supercharger?
Greetings President Bush, can you read the first sentence again? :lol:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone!

dasgalloway said:
When you take the belt off make sure you can hand or wrench turn the supercharger... hopefully its not frozen up for some reason.

You did run the oil line, right?
Regarding the oil line, most Def Dasgalloway. Oil feed and oil return. I do want to check, when there's daylight, to make sure that the feed and the return lines aren't blocked/crimped up in any way. I really don't think so but I'll give a more detailed prognosis in the morning.

AltezzaBob said:
AltezzaBob... you guessed right. I didn't specify if it was the Vortech or Powerdyne unit. (This has been edited) Psh! Who would get the Powerdyne when the Vortech is more powerful and has an upgrade path?! :crazy:

Thanks again for all the suggestions and please keep them coming.

-Mofo

P.S. I was totally kidding when dissin' the Powerdyne. For folks that just want a bit more poke and a less complicated install, it works great.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
AC556k said:
Hey Mofo just thought of something. We all know what piece was missing from the kit. Did you check there? Your fabricated piece could be the weak spot. Possibly a leak around there? :-?
so ur saying there's a flaw (some important part that's missing?)in every plp vortech kit out there? :eek: ...and everyone knows? what's missing? :-?

... y am i always slo on knowing info like this... :bitching:

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
IS300eR said:
AltezzaBob said:
Greetings you worthless bum. The area of Irvine or the rays of Riverside must be getting to you.

*never saw the edited till the 1st of Nov did you? i just did.*

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
IS300eR said:
AC556k said:
Hey Mofo just thought of something. We all know what piece was missing from the kit. Did you check there? Your fabricated piece could be the weak spot. Possibly a leak around there? :-?
so ur saying there's a flaw (some important part that's missing?)in every plp vortech kit out there? :eek: ...and everyone knows? what's missing? :-?

... y am i always slo on knowing info like this... :bitching:
Yes there's a piece missing from every Vortech Kit out there...for some reason Mike couldn't source it before he started making sales and promising delivery dates. It's the 90 degree coupler that goes onto the back of the charger down to the intercooler pipes...so it's extremely important. It's possible to find a replacement but the fit might not be perfect since a 2.75 inch coupler is pretty hard to find...usually 2.5 or 3.

The problem with what Mofo is describing...can't be the result of a loose intercooler pipe or coupler. It actually could be, but he doesn't seem like an idiot...from what Kanine21 has posted he was there during the whole install and can check for loose parts himself. If there's no SC sound during idle...that means the SC isn't even spinning...something is locking up the damn charger.

So Mofo, what does Mike say about all this? Hopefully he's helping...g'luck!

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
6,916 Posts
IS300eR said:
AltezzaBob said:

hahahah good one dave...!!

really tho sorry for the trouble you are having ... it will be interesting t ohear how PLP reaponds to this issue & their CS... .hav you called Mike yet....?

seems like several people here have NOT been able to get ahold of them lately........

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have spoke with Al on Sunday and the unit will be going back to Vortech for diagnosis and repair under warranty. Everything is always handled in a professional manner at PLP so only expect the best products along with the best customer service that is second to none! edgy, what are you rambling on about now :roll: ? Everyone who has purchased our kits have my personal cell phone number for 247 support.
Mike

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.