Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Check this car out, it is supposed to be the new Volvo S60R, pretty cool for a Volvo!

The Performance Concept car features a full body kit with 19" alloy wheels, leather trim, ribbed aluminum pedals and instrument cluster, six-speed manual transmission and a 220 kW/300 bhp, 400 Nm version of the 2.4 liter five-cylinder engine and electronically managed four-wheel drive (AWD). The FOUR-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) is also included in the Performance Concept Car. The FOUR-C system uses information gathered from height sensors and accelerometers to determine the position of each wheel and the vehicle body and then use the dampers to maximize tire grip. The system also eliminates pitch due to severe braking as are the effects of harsh acceleration and quick steering wheel movements.

Three chassis modes are offered by the FOUR-C system, these are selected via buttons on the instrument panel: Comfort, Sport and Advanced Sport modes. The Sport mode is optimized for normal driving, balancing comfort with maximizing handling. The Comfort mode optimizes the FOUR-C body's isolation from irregularities in the road, andthe Advanced Sport mode totally alters the vehicle's character, giving priority to maximum handling and road holding. The Performance Concept Car is also fitted with Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC), which is disengaged when Advanced Sport mode is selected.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The front reminded me of the 3 series but the back is definitely a volvo trademark.

Those side skirts looks nice on the blue color.

I'm just glad this car doesn't have clear tail lights...

·
2,909 Posts
This weeks "AUTO WEEK" did a story on this car if you know someone who gets this mag. check it out, maybe their website has something on it. This car is going to be at the Miami Beach Auto Show starting this Friday, I am going to post pics of all the new cars from the show. They also have a drawing to win the S60, or a Sebring Conv. I think the choice is obvious. I mean really this car has a Turbo 5cyl. that make 247 hp, that sounds great to me!!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Looks like it's got a blue-jeans speedo on the steering wheel. Yuck.
Too much power in a front drive car is always a bad idea. Anyone drive the Saab Viggen? What a POS.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Nice car. Ample horsepower, but from a high pressure turbo. I don't know if that's good or bad. I guess as long as the performance is class leading (or matching), there are no reliability issues, and the price is right, it'll be a good competitor.
If it tips $40K, I'd still stick to the others: S4, M3, IS300 Type R (wishful thinking).
Nice job though, Volvo!

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by kota:
Hey Baco doesn't the C pillar remind you of SVT Contour? Notice the buldge right below the window.

yeah. it sort of does. i wouldn't be surprised if it shared a lot with the new Ford Mondeo platform.

------------------
IS 300 ???
Not yet, but maybe soon....

1995 Ford Contour Zetec GL -- Modded

http://www.contour.org

[This message has been edited by baco99 (edited October 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
That car looks EXACTLY like the S80 inside and out. The only differences are the side skirts and a slightly revised front end.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Looks like it's got a blue-jeans speedo on the steering wheel. Yuck.
Too much power in a front drive car is always a bad idea. Anyone drive the Saab Viggen? What a POS.
Well I'll agree that the Viggen won't compare to cars like the Audi S4 or BMW M3.... But Viggens can be had for $29K, so all of a sudden it doesn't seems like a "POS" but a bargin..
Eric....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by Golden:
That car looks EXACTLY like the S80 inside and out. The only differences are the side skirts and a slightly revised front end.
right, but is it supposed to be a scaled down version of the S80? or the same size? it looks a touch smaller to me.

any insight?

------------------
IS 300 ???

·
Registered
262 Posts
CkOlsen said: "Anyone drive the Saab Viggen? What a POS."

Erick said: " Well I'll agree that the Viggen won't compare to cars like the Audi S4 or BMW M3.... But Viggens can be had for $29K, so all of a sudden it doesn't seems like a "POS" but a bargin.."

Confucius once said "one man's filet mignon is another man's pig swill".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Originally posted by jiggafett:
The S60 official site: http://volvos60.volvocars.se/vcc/
a timing belt???

i was looking through some of the pictures under "closer look" on this site, and a shot of the engine looks like a timing belt (not chain) is used in this engine. this concerns me.

does the IS have a belt or a chain?

------------------
IS 300 ???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car has already been tested in Sweden by Aftonbladet magazine. It does 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds, and has an electronically limited top speed of 156 mph. The S60 T5 version does 0-60 mph in about 6.7 seconds. The S60 is built off of the P26 platform which has nothing to do with Ford. Ford wanted to use the platform for the new Taurus but said that they would not use it because it would be too expensive. It is built on the same platform as the S80 and the new V70. A pure Volvo platform. The material on the dashboard and steering wheel is Alcantara suede. The car has electronically controlled Haldex AWD that is 50/50 power split front and rear, so it is nothing like the Viggen. Hope this clears up some confusion!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I was thinking the Viggen sounded good too (actually invoice is $29k so it'll cost a little more), so I test drove one last week
- but it really sucked, I posted about it here. It's a rattle-trap, doesn't handle that well but is very stiff, bordering on uncomforable, and rattles down the road like an old car. Stereo blows, like my Integra stock stereo. Engine is not very tractable, either it's on or it's off. Turn in is not so good, and high speed handling is a little scary. You'd be crazy not to spend your $30k on a used 3 series or M3.
Originally posted by EricK:
Originally posted by ckolsen:
Well I'll agree that the Viggen won't compare to cars like the Audi S4 or BMW M3.... But Viggens can be had for $29K, so all of a sudden it doesn't seems like a "POS" but a bargin..
Eric....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ckolsen - my friend owns a saab dealership and he says a lot of saab dealers at this point will sell the viggen at cost. The same is true for all 9-3 convertibles. The fact of the matter is, this car hasn't had a thorough redesign since 1994. The only major change during the facelift in 1999 was the name change from 900 to 9-3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts